Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-08-2014, 11:17 AM
This model kills fascists

Started working on the stowage box. This was a little easier than I worried, but still not easy. The bracket that holds the handle has no indication where you're supposed to bend it (aside from the right angle). Oh, and I folded the box lid backwards, because there were indentations on both sides, but I only saw them on one side.

Some of these parts are so flipping tiny. Even with +3.25 reading glasses on, they were tiny. At 4x magnification, and at normal.

So, after getting the box folded, I attach these handles. That's .3mm styrene rod. There's also a little square washer between the front handle and the box.

So, onto the side handle. That's .3mm copper wire. I held one side down with chisel blade, and pressed the other side down with an xacto blade. This was after three pieces (they provide five) decided to just vanish when I touched them. Somehow I managed to find all three (two on the floor, one on top my dark wood table).

For the handle, they provide a stencil to shape the wire. You can barely see the wire in the 2nd shot.

Size of all these things next to my index finger.

And, lastly, done ... almost. There's a couple washers and some styrene that need to go on the bracket. That can wait until it's attached to the fender. Now to do the other one.

Last edited by armor fiend; 10-08-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2014, 03:52 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Well that's some intricate PE work. You gotta love ABER, don't you? You did very well.

Looking forward to the next update,
Johannes
Old 10-21-2014, 04:36 PM

Thanks. I thought I was doing pretty good, then I looked at this guy.

http://www.militarymodelling.com/for...s.asp?th=71046

Actually, there was a time I couldn't have done that, and it wasn't that long ago. But through following along here and reading Fine Scale Modelling, I've gotten the skill and confidence to do this kinda stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2014, 12:43 PM

The attachment nut for the gun lock was too crazy for me to attempt. Put three different lengths of wire through something 1.3 millimeters in size??? No thank you. I took a 1.5 mm styrene hex rod and sanded it down a little. Then drilled a .3 mm hole through and inserted styrene rod and glued it. Then I drilled a .5 mm hole through the middle.

Then on to the gun lock.

I popped the top off the tool box, to rebend the lid, so it wasn't inside out anymore. Of course, this meant risking breaking it. So I annealed it again, folded it flat, annealed it again, and folded it correctly. No problems.

Last edited by armor fiend; 10-22-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2015, 01:50 PM

It turns out I have the tracks on the wrong sides. Not really a big deal, since they're easy enough to switch, and I'm not close to being finished yet. Pictures later tonight, then.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2015, 02:49 PM

Curse whomever invented workable hinges in 1/35 scale!

First, I added a rain gutter which is missing from the kit.

Then, worked on the saw.

And now, into the fire. I did all the hinges for the tool box. Once I've finished the hinges for the commander hatch, I'll cut the wires and attach. PITA, since I'm not even going to have them as workable.

First, the obligatory finger picture.

First one. I ended up breaking one of the legs later, which you'll see in a picture.

Tried a different way of rolling them together. It didn't work, as everything slid around. But, eventually, a hinge!

And another, and then a row.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2015, 07:10 AM
Brokeneagle

Great build - your PE work is courageous very fine and difficult stuff.

What was your main take away from the differences between the Tamiya and the Dragon model?

Brokeneagle.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:16 PM

If you want a late ChKZ, the Tamiya kit wins hands down. Total ease of build we've come to expect from Tamiya lately. It's very accurate (though not completely). Great detail. Open vents and stuff inside where it's needed.

Dragon's lower tub is about 1.5mm short, so that needs to be added. The vents aren't opened up, that looks kinda lame. The detail isn't as good on the turret and hull. But, it's a different variant than Tamiya offers. Dragon also offers the earlier (two step glacis) variant of the JS-2. Keep in mind, the Dragon was mostly built when I bought it, so I can't say much about how well it fits together.

If I was gonna pick only one, Tamiya wins hands down.
Reply With Quote top