Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-04-2006, 03:29 AM
Kevin

Sosososososo!

Once again, another kit from me. I didnt have a digital camera when I began building this kit (got one on my Birthday...meaning I was practically finished with the kit when I was finally able to take photos).

so the base for the kit is obviously Dragon. With the P-E set from Voyager Models, and the Zimmerit coating is from Aber (I had NO desire to do zimmerit by myself..im sorry everyone, but im a total pussy in this area).

so here are some photos..

Weensie: Yes she is. See, I'm the first one to go to college in my family and when I left she said, "Weensie, if you screw this up, I'll kill you." She showed me the knife.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 03:41 AM
Kevin

So, the problem with this P-E zimmerit is that you gotta use Epoxy to get the stuff to fit right. I am sadly not very patient, and decided coating the entire area with 15 second C-A glue would work. Much to my dismay as everything was then totally out of place or mildly warped (the warping wasnt that much of a problem to take care of...) here are some beginning and "correction" photos. Sadly I have no photos of my corrections, they are all marked in red. My correction to the crap zimmerit job was, cover the areas missing with testors contour putty, and then work it so that it looks as though the zimmerit is still covering the area.

Turret:

Corrections:

Hull

Correction:
Weensie: Yes she is. See, I'm the first one to go to college in my family and when I left she said, "Weensie, if you screw this up, I'll kill you." She showed me the knife.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 12:18 PM
vBench

It's look good, but I think making Zimmerit would be easier than using the PE :lol:
Old 02-04-2006, 12:58 PM
vBench

Didn't know Aber made PE zim. If you don't want to make your own, try some Atak zim. Thin resin sheets, it's a little easier to work with. Looks nice so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-04-2006, 01:11 PM
vBench

It looks good so far Kevin, for PE zim. Please don't take any offense as none is meant. Though in reality the PE stuff probably comes closer to scale thickness than other methods I just think it doesn't look quite right. I understand your zimmerit "phobia" I too have been a zim wuss for many years, but I just took the plunge and did some on a DML Tiger I late and though it isn't perfect I think it looks good for my first serious try and it is very satisfying knowing I did it myself, I hope to get some pics up in the next few days. Get an old kit and give it shot!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-04-2006, 03:46 PM
Kevin

ach, correction: its Eduard P-E zimmerit. Im a total sissy when it comes to zimmerit, and at the time, the $4.50 that I paid for the Eduard Zimm on ebay was worth it more than the cost of Atak or Cavalier zimmerit (in hindsight, it would have been a much better idea for the resin stuff or to even to to the length of doing it myself..)

the P-E zimm is horrible! everythings so uniform, and the pattern is totally snafu. Oh well though, I'll paint this one up to be 114 of sPzAbt 503 and then put a ton of accessories on the tank so as to mask the crap zimmerit. this will all take place when I can go home and actually work on my 40 models which I have packed off in different places in my parents house.
Reply With Quote top