Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-11-2014, 05:33 PM
vBench

French heavy tank Char 2C

Hi,
this is my latest model I've been building now. Meng French heavy tank Char 2C. It's been a positive surprise and pleasure to build. Well, some issues but nothing major. Biggest and most boring work is still ahead, road wheels

I'll keep you updated,

Niko
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110581.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	8262  
Old 01-11-2014, 07:27 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Nikko,

That's an impressive monster! I have heard very good feedback on this model and I am a little curious about what issues you encountered.

By the way, I feel for you and all those roadwheels

dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-12-2014, 02:28 PM
This model kills fascists

OMG, you poor, poor, poor man. I think I'd die if I opened a kit and saw that many road wheels.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2014, 10:04 AM
vBench

Well, managed to ramble this to end. I will put pics and explain some issues that I had with it. Actually issues I've rambled in my first post, aren't that big if you just take time and patience to tackle them.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:23 AM
vBench

Biggest challenges came from unfilled parts. Pretty much same as with some Tristar models I've encountered. It is irritating to take time by filling small corners and such when you could spend it playing CoC! On the other hand, I heard that other modeller did not have similar issues with his kit so it could be only a bad day in factory
This the most annoying problem I managed to repair so-so. Barrel was contructed from two parts, ok. As you can see most important parts was not filled and I had to fill it. Luckily plastic in kit is excellent and reacts prefectly to Tamiya Super Thin Glue so ...pic tells more than words:

Similar issue was with front tool boxes:

Actually only real error with parts was with secondary turret's machine gun parts. Backplate had some extra plastic which had to be chipped away, not a biggie. Left one is flawed, right one correctly shaped:
Old 01-19-2014, 10:32 AM
vBench

Engine casing over hull is pretty simple: casing and roof:

I've been thinking what AM-companies will do to improve this kit. Small PE set included in kit improves essential parts and those do not need to be improved, imho. Some other places could benefit some PE treatment, thou. Here is one. Engine casing has 4 handles that are filled in kit. I opened them by drilling holes and with sharp knife opened them:

All boxes around engine casing and on hull had this "step". Looks like slidemold does not hit always prefectly leaving this stepping. Other kit does not have similar issue, I was told.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:41 AM
vBench

Turrets are just beautiful pieces of casting and are perfectly executed. Some improvement needs to be done anyway.
Open box over turret is made of two parts and fits nicely. All corners from parts are not filled leaving rather visible seams which I filled with stretched sprue.

One fold at a time. Patience, my apprentice, patience:

Close-up of filled seams:

Squeezing gun sub-aseembly in place was not hassle free so I had to carve some plastic from red square area. This must be done carefully not to take too much plastic. That would leave an opening to wrong placve:
Old 01-19-2014, 10:51 AM
vBench

After gun in place, there is some gaps screaming to be filled:

As I just hate putty, I used stretched sprue again. Well, that corner is pretty hard to fill with putty due to surrounding bolts:

Result is ok, some work is still needed to finish it perfectly.

Both turrets have pretty tall and awkward looking cupolas. Due to lack of references (thank God ) I managed to find only one place to improve, opening hinges.

After gluing cupola in place and looking result, I'm not sure if I made a mistake or has Meng. As such hinge does not work Something is missing, not that I will loose any sleep over it:

Both turrets have small seams that need to be cleaned. Not a biggie but be careful when removing not to damage surrounding details:

Finished turrets:

Last edited by Finnmodeler; 01-19-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: One pic added
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2014, 12:10 PM
vBench

Hull is a small or huge wonder in itself. Parts fit almosta flawlessly and there is no need for putty. Some sanding is required but no biggie there.
Hull right glued with inner walls and front armour plate. Left is one piece floor without wheels so far.

This is pic with outer walls and bigger wheels already in place. Maybe painting beforehand would have been a good choice.

Front fits just fine. I removed the factory logo plate as it is not in place with version I'm going to build (Alsace, n 93)

Rear fit is good only minimal sanding is needed:

Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 AM
vBench

Small comparison with Tiger II:

Next the terrifying task, painting