Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-03-2015, 03:44 PM
This model kills fascists

Almost done. Just have to fix the drive and idler wheels, and then paint.

Painted the internal exhaust pipe, and then sealed up the model. I don't think I can see it when I look in, but just making sure.
As you can see, it left gaps on the port, rear, and front. Forty year old kit showing its age.

Before I sealed it up, however, I removed the 1mm strip around the cupola and replaced it with a .8mm strip. Makes it easier to see into the interior. Aside from the light shining throw here, you'll see the interior ivory color in a few shots.

Once sealed up, I added all the fiddly bits. The antenna rack was too far back, so, moved it up and cut down the rear legs to get the angle right. I have to go back and turn the jack and fire extinguishers around. The instructions have them backwards. There's a nasty sinkhole on the hidden side of the jack, too.

The tracks probably aren't accurate for a French campaign vehicle, but I like the look.

I had to remove the line for the armored strips along the bottom side of the superstructure, as series 3 machines didn't have them. You can see the little white line of tamiya putty.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Vbench

I built more than one of these. At the time it was a very nice kit, although it shows its age now. My, how tank models have advanced.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Old 03-12-2015, 04:44 PM

So, painted a camo job. First time I've done more than one color. Can't say I'm please with the results. Too much overspray. I used the wrong airbrush, held it too far from the model. Didn't really have an idea of what I wanted to do.

I used Tamiya XF-69 NATO Black for the gray and 2 parts XF-79 Linoleum and one part XF-69 to create the brown. The vents are still unpainted cuz I was gonna go back with a brush, but I'm gonna respray first.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2015, 10:55 AM

Repainted, in Model Master panzer schwarzgrau and for the 7017 brown, 5:1 Tamiya flat brown XF-10: XF-1 flat black.

Need to do a little fixing up here. Ran out of brown and went back over it with grey, and now I have an obvious paint spot. The interior is nicely visible.

What color are German panzer fire extinguishers supposed to be. I often see them in red, which seems like a lousy color to put on a tank. Seems to scream, hey, ignore all that camouflage, I'm not natural!

And a comparison shot of Model Master panzer schwarzgrau (on the tank) and Tamiya rattlecan TS-4 German grey. MM seems more accurate (dark and grey), but Tamiya has slight blue that all the kids love these days.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-30-2015, 12:26 PM

Asked and answered. Fire extinguishers are the color of the armor. There were red ones, but they were for bunkers, not tanks.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47207...e+extingushers
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2015, 10:08 PM

So, there was a catcident this morning. My little girl decided to take down the curtains in the "tank room." Knocked over a bunch of stuff, sent the tank onto the floor, and somehow managed to get a clamp attached to her fur. Found that in another room with a clump of fur in it. Not too much damage. Broke one of the front fenders and knocked off the jack. I reattached them, but later decided to remove the fender, since it has an obvious crack.

Then I gave the tank a nice black wash, to try and make the details pop.

That's it for now.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-01-2015, 07:23 PM

Decals that are both fragile and sticky are not a good idea.

Edit, also, the Micro Sol seems to be turning the Pledge coat gummy and milky.

Last edited by armor fiend; 04-01-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-08-2015, 02:44 PM

Decals and dot filtering. I wasn't quite finished when I took the pictures. Tonight, I'll spray a flat coat and then add some European Earth pigments, and done.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-09-2015, 02:06 PM

FIN! It won't win any awards, since the wheels aren't level and the tracks are a little cockeyed, still, it's good enough to look at.

I really like how the wood tuned out.

Lastly, sitting next to the Lee.

Reply With Quote top
Old 04-10-2015, 10:19 PM

Argh ... the ghost is for the 11th Panzer Division, which wasn't formed until August 1940, after the tanks were painted all grey.
Reply With Quote top