Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-15-2015, 12:19 AM
This model kills fascists

Kleine Panzerbefehlswagen

I got handed a Zvezda German Command Tank the other day. Seemed like a nice, quick, simple build, while I take a break from the Stalin photo etchery. The kit dates back to the late 70s, when it was an Italeri kit, which was itself based on the earlier Revell Panzer I.

The kit seems to be a combination of Series 2 and Series 3, as well as a tropen version. The decals, however, are for Poland and France, so not tropen. *AND* It's uparmored, which happened after Poland.

I've been putting in an hour, here and there since last Saturday. The kit definitely shows its age. Plenty of flash. Sinkholes. Everything's ill fitting. Significant gaps. On the flip side, the running gear all works. The machine gun can be made workable, but I don't think I will bother.

The directions are horrible. There are no numbers on the sprue. I later discovered them on the instructions list of parts. There are little shapes, which at first I thought meant glue or not glue, but they are symbols for the sprues.

I'm not bothering with aftermarket for this. It's a dog. But, I scratched some, especially in the part of the engine that can be seen through the vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	184903-12858.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	8876  
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2015, 12:25 AM

The detail isn't bad.

There are nipples on the wheels, so if you know to look for them, you can make sure they're on the outside. You can see one on the first wheel near the top of the hub.

Fixing the tropen holes in the fan access hatch. Put a piece of tape over them, then cover the inside with putty.

Filled in the sinkholes in the drive sprockets with superglue.

The bottom of the hull, and those nasty gaps.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2015, 12:31 AM

Unfortunately, my Tamiya putty is getting on in age. Even after several days, some of it was still a little gummy.

Put a stripe of styrene around cupola. Easier than puttying the gaps. But it was a little too tall.

Added in the firewall, since you can see though the air vent. I'm not sure what color to paint it. Red oxide, or panzer grey, since you can see it through the slats.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2015, 12:35 AM

Speaking of see-through. That big old vent in the rear right needed something. I'm not a fan of blanking off vents, so I looked and looked and looked trying to find info on the internet for what a Panzer I B's engine looked like, but I could only find info on Panzer I As.

Finally, someone in my club brought a copy Panzer Tracts, and I got a good look, and took some measurements. So, I scratched some vents, a fuel tank and exhaust pipe. Still need to do the air filter. They could all be seen by a weenie with a flashlight, but it won't be real clear with the grate in the way.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2015, 12:36 AM

So, what color should the vents be? And the air filter was definitely a different color than hull red, but what?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2015, 06:46 AM
vBench

Walter J Spielberger's book on the Panzer I & II has a black and white photo of the engine compartment of the Ausf.B. The engine block is very dark in colour and the air filter is very light in colour. It is a Maybach NL 38 engine.

There only seems to be one photo online that I could find after a quick search.

http://www.fahrzeuge-der-wehrmacht.d...38_Ko_01-1.jpg

See also this article on panzer interior colours.

http://byrden.com/panzers/Colours/

Hope this helps.

Tim
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-15-2015, 05:32 PM

I think I have my answer. It's a jagdpanzer, but the my answer is the back wall would still be red, but there'd be some "overspray" from the outside.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/18113922@N04/8283347150/
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 AM
vBench

I'm liking where this is going. I love taking crummy old kits and making them into a nice model. Despite the bad fit issues and whatnot, it looks like it has nice detail and texturing. Nice work AF!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2015, 09:11 PM

Finished hacking an interior. It doesn't have to be accurate, because you can only catch glimpses of it through the grates.

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-28-2015, 07:09 PM

A comparison shot with a 1/72 Jagdtiger.

Sprayed a cream color in the crew area of the tank, for weenies with flashlights. It'll be barely visible, but it will be there. The spray paint was kinda gummy, and came out in clumps. I replaced it after this.

The idler wheels are molded solid. In actuality, they were hollow, as you can see here.

http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/..._ausf.b_13.jpg

I took a saw and cut line around the edge and then took a file to it. I will need to add back in some cross "plates".

Reply With Quote top