Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-08-2015, 02:03 AM
vBench

VK4502(P) Vorne

Okay, here is another project I'm working on. I also have an SU122 going too....and a Pz. IV!
I'm really interested in the "paper panzers", and this one is kind of a dream kit for me...I love this tank. I think it's just about the coolest looking piece of armor ever made, and has, I think, quite a futuristic look for the day. I'm glad it wasn't put into production, as I think it would have given the Allies a tough run, but I do wish there were a couple prototypes to examine.
Since it is a model of a non-existent piece of history, I didn't want to get too detailed. I built it OOB, with the exception that I did not build the interior (turret). The Hobby Boss kit comes with a nicely detailed turret, complete with a fully detailed gun, ammo, etc. No other parts of the interior are included. I opted not to build the interior of the turret, as I typically build my models closed-up.
The build is pretty straight-forward and most parts fit well. I've read several reviews of this kit online and most are spot on, so I wont waste the space here on another redundant review. It appears the tracks are the biggest problem area, and I have test fit some links and see what the fuss is about. It might get Kaizen or Fruil tracks.
I airbrushed a basecoat of a mixture of crimson artist acrylic, Vallejo Hull Red, and Vallejo Black Grey with water and Tamiya Acrylic thinner to reduce.
I wanted some variance in the basecoat, rather than a monotone primer layer. I use the salt technique for weathering, and I've found that the more variance underneath, the better it generally looks. To achieve the first step of this, I sprayed the model with water while the paint was drying, allowing it to run, streak, and pool. This is a bit of an experiment, but I think it'll be alright. I'm going to do some washes over this before I do the actual base color to achieve even more variation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300051.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	8867   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300048.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	8868   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1300050.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	8869   Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1423376214292_0207152316.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	8870   Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1423376808172_0207152317.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	8871  

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2015, 02:04 AM
vBench

Paint

Back again. I got the paint on it and I'm both pleased and discouraged with the results. I used the salt weathering method, and I'm pleased with how that is working. I used a coffee grinder to powder the salt for finer and more varied granule shape. For removal of the finer particles I have found that simply washing the model off with warm water works best, but care must be taken to be sure the paint is completely dry and set, and to not scrub or rub the paint at all or it will likely come off down to the plastic. Shouldn't be a problem with enamels.
I am still learning how to airbrush. I haven't been able to achieve really consistent results. I painted an FW190 years ago that to this day is the best paint job I've ever done, in the spotty speckle pattern that Nazi fighters often wore. This is a very difficult paint job to do on a little 1/48 WWII fighter, but I have to say that somehow I pulled it off. Other days I cant hardly get a smooth coat on something.
My color selection and camo design for this model was loosely based on known Nazi Panzer use, but I also tried to imagine what a late-war or post May, 1945 German tank might have looked like.
I'm happy with my colors and pattern, but as you'll see I got some small spattering from my airbrush. I think I know what caused this, and I know that with some practice and work I can get better at controlling this issue (I'm using an Ebay Badger Patriot 105).
My question is what do some of you think I can do to get rid of this now? I thought of sanding it very lightly with very smooth paper, and I've also thought of trying to airbrush in the grey to cover some of the spattering back up. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1423548985145_0209152314a.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	8872   Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1423549022614_0209152313a.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	8873   Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1423548959234_0209152315.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	8874   Click image for larger version

Name:	PART_1423548970519_0209152314b.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	8875  
Reply With Quote top
Users like TankDan's post!
Old 02-10-2015, 11:41 AM
vBench

I like it!
It's a very intersting vehicle. Competitor to the Tiger II I understand?

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-10-2015, 11:10 PM
vBench

Well I don't know.....I've read a couple conflicting stories about the intent of it. I've read that it was to replace the tiger, the tiger 2, that it's prototype naming "45.02" meant that it was to be a 45 ton vehicle which to me says "panther 2", and it sounds like it's more of a heavy medium than a light heavy. So I don't really know. I just like how it looks. Assuming the scaling is "on" it's about the same size as a panther also.
Thanks for the comments on it. A long ways to go yet. Any suggestions on how to fix the splattering?

Last edited by TankDan; 02-10-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2015, 12:27 PM
This model kills fascists

It doesn't look much bigger than Porsche's proposed tiger, so heavy medium sounds pretty good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2015, 12:30 PM
This model kills fascists

I like it. It looks like a vehicle that's been sitting around for a bit, though the turret probably would have been cannibalized for the actual KTs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2015, 02:09 PM
vBench

Yes armor fiend, that's what they did with the VK4502 turrets, as you probably know. They made about 50 Porsche turrets, and from my sources all were mounted to KT hulls for action, or most of them at least. Thanks for the comments. I'm gonna play around with this thing today, although I received my M6 US heavy yesterday!
Reply With Quote top