Old 03-12-2008, 02:31 AM
vBench

Question Painting the Hummel

Hi Guys,

I have gathered some experience with my airbrush now and feel comfortable enough to start painting my Hummel. I completed it over a year ago and it has been stowed away in a closed box since then. There is although some dust and dirt gathered on the surfaces of the model. So here is my question: Anybody had this problem before and if yes how did you solve it? What is the best way to clean the model? Should I just rinse it with clear lukewarm water? How to dry it afterwards? Could I just put water in my airbush and clean it with the airbrush?

As soon as Photobucket is up and running again I will add some photos. Thanks in advance for any help

-Ambjoern

Last edited by amba; 03-12-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 02:37 AM
vBench

Maybe just use the airbrush to blow the dust off?

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 02:52 AM
vBench

Hi Ambjoern

Does the dust stick to the model or just loose? For loose dust you can use an airbrush as James suggested or a dust blower commonly used for camera lenses.

If it sticks to the model, then some washing will be required. But you have to be gentle as you don't want to break any parts off.

To dry it, just use a hairdryer on low heat setting and slowly dry it. The key is to be real gentle.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 03:09 AM
vBench

Here are some pictures:

and a closeup of the front:

Also some dirt on the louvres:

And the inside:

James, Lawrence,

thanks for your input as you can see it is a bit of both (dirt and dust). I will try to clean it with the airbrush and also rinse it in lukewarm water.

-Ambjoern
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 06:34 AM
vBench

WOW...very nice Hummel...can't wait to see it in paint.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 AM
Vbench

Wash it, Ambjoern. If it's been out in the open, there's all manner of crud on it that isn't very visible (until you paint it). Not just dust — that will blow off, but grime from the environment: kitchen grease, residue from your heating system, pollution from outdoors, etc. Just look at the back of your computer!

The airbrush (without paint) is very good from blowing loose particles off, and for drying it once you've washed it. I use tepid water with a few drops of dishwashing detergent (Sunlight is the best if you can find it there). Avoid any soaps that have stuff added to make it smell pretty or "soften your lovely hands, Madge". You just want something that the dirt will bind to.

I just take the model and immerse it for half an hour, then I use a shaving brush (long, soft bristles) to scrub it. Rinse well, blow dry, and paint.

Since you have a fair bit of brass there, too, you might give it a bath in a mild acid like vinegar or lemon juice to eliminate oxidation on the metal. That will go a long way to help the paint bond. You can get special anti-oxidants in a good train store, but they are expensive and hard to find, and lemon juice works pretty well for much less. Follow the same procedure. If you use lemon juice, do it before soap-and-water. If you use vinegar, you can do it afterwards. Paint the model soon!

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 08:58 AM
vBench

Hi Scott,

thanks a lot for your valuable input

That's exactly the answers I was looking for... Shaving brush and lemon juice... hot stuff I'll give it a try

Thanks
-Ambjoern
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 PM
vBench

I was going to suggest using dish soap as well but just suggested the air blowing to see if more serious measures would be required. The reason I held back was because with the water and soap and manual cleaning the chances of having something break or fall off are pretty good. Even with the air blowing you need to be careful. But having painted the Panzer III awhile ago after it had sat and after cleaning it somewhat there was still crap to be seen after the paint that was not seen before on the PE fenders.

I took a chance and was lazy, oh well. In any case instead of the shaving brush- perhaps a good paint brush, which is what I usually use, can be substituted. (no offense)
Use ones of different size- small one maybe for in tight places.

With all the brass you may want to try using a self etching metal primer, maybe found at a Marine type store. You can decant and use in airbrush. The problem with regular primer is it chips and flaks off easily on brass, specially on edges. I wouldn't use a hair dryer- too risky to melt something or at least it might cause warping. Use the airbrush to get rid of the water- but I would let it air dry for awhile in a shoe box or something like that (to keep the dust off), as water will hide in crevices and such.

Last edited by James Tainton; 03-12-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-14-2008, 10:55 PM
vBench

So any news?

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-15-2008, 06:44 AM
vBench

Wow Amba I forgot bout this one, but it sure is sweet!