Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 08-04-2009, 07:58 AM
vBench

give up modelling?

its useless no matter how hard i try i CANNOT paint rust in small areas, ive tried painting it on or pigments or both together, to be honest i may have to give up modelling because it's really getting me down, im ruening kit after kit with bright orange what appears to be graffiti,
could you guys PLEASE HELP ME!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_man_army View Post
its useless no matter how hard i try i CANNOT paint rust in small areas, ive tried painting it on or pigments or both together, to be honest i may have to give up modelling because it's really getting me down, im ruening kit after kit with bright orange what appears to be graffiti,
could you guys PLEASE HELP ME!!!
You know- there really isn't a need for always having rust on your vehicles. There is something to be said for cleaner replicas as well. But out of curiosity could you take photos as you do your process and post them
-it will help in understanding what you may be doing and how it relates to your lack of satisfaction with the results and will aid in anyone wishing to offer their two cents. It certainly is not something to give modelling up for.
Perhaps if you reduce the expectations at this point you can build up your skills . Maybe concentrate not so much as on the rust bit but other areas of your model making as well.

Last edited by James Tainton; 08-04-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 02:00 PM

DO NOT give up! IMHO, rust is WAY over-rated, and with the exception of Spencer Pollard and a few other guys, no one can make it look convincing. I have a good friend who consistently receives gold medals in competition and his finishes, while dirty/faded are virtually rust free.

If you absolutely have to master rust, walk around and look for some rusted objects. The main color is more brown than orange. Try simulating rust spots with shades of brown. You can also revisit your previous efforts and reduce the brightness of the orange with a LIGHT wash of dark brown (10% paint, 90% thinner).

Hope this helps. Keep at it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 02:41 PM
vBench

thanks for the help it just really gets me frustrated when i see how you guys work then look at mine, mine aren't too bad i think i would really benefit by getting an airbrush then maybe that would really improve my work,as for the rust ill post some pics like James said,

regards, James
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 03:36 PM
This model kills fascists

Most tanks in the field, especially WWII vehicles, weren't rusty, except for the mufflers or burnt out ones. They were pretty well maintained, and they didn't last very long in any event.

Rust and chipping mostly occur where the vehicles are poorly maintained, such as in Africa and the Middle East.

Try and track down a copy of F.A.Q. : frequently asked questions of the AFV, by Mig Jimenez. It shows how to paint different levels of rust for mufflers, among a million other useful things.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 04:07 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor fiend View Post
Try and track down a copy of F.A.Q. : frequently asked questions of the AFV, by Mig Jimenez.
Spencer Pollard's Military in Scale is great magazine for this kind of stuff. If you haven't checked it out. I think it would be a cheaper and perhaps more useful solution.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 04:50 PM

DO NOT GIVE UP! The object here is to have fun, not stress out and work. if your rusting skills aren't up to par then consider doing a few modern subjects that are less prone to rust, or factory fresh builds. Then progress to that burnt out M-24 in Vietnam.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armor fiend View Post
Rust and chipping mostly occur where the vehicles are poorly maintained, such as in Africa and the Middle East.
Yep, the Middle East

Joking aside, I agree with the opinions: you don´t need to make a lot of rust to get a good model and the F.A.Q book is excellent.
Oil and enamel paint is good as you can wipe away undesired results while fresh.

If anything, I´d only add that most rust in vehicles occur in attachments and other non-armoured areas, like handles, fenders, etc that are more prone to rusting by the nature and thickness of the steel used.

Regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
This model kills fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Tainton View Post
Spencer Pollard's Military in Scale is great magazine for this kind of stuff. If you haven't checked it out. I think it would be a cheaper and perhaps more useful solution.
Maybe. I picked up "my" copy at the library. Sure, I have to give it back, but almost no one else checks these books out. It's usually there when I need it.

BTW, is that an American M1 or an Arab one?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2009, 10:22 PM
vBench

I mix testers rust paint and chulk pastel red and dark brown with extra thinners
Reply With Quote top