Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 06-04-2009, 10:31 PM
vBench

WIP Trumpeter 17cm Geschutzwagon Tiger June 25

The kit didn't come with any tools or maintenance supplies so I dug through my spares box and found some left over Tamiya King Tiger and DML stuff to dress her up a little. I'll look her over again to see if I missed anything and if not start the painting.

This one is going to the field because there's no way I can give it that Broken Eagle treatment.

Thanks for looking in.
Tony the Mutt

Last edited by Pvt Mutt; 06-25-2009 at 10:27 AM. Reason: update
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2009, 01:52 PM
vBench

Hi Tony,

your Geschützwagen looks great,
already an idea about the camo?

It's also great to see some tools on this vehicle,
keep it up!

Manuel
Old 06-05-2009, 03:01 PM
vBench

Manuel:
The box art shows it with the ambush camo and since i've not done one like that I thought I might give it a shot.

Thanks
Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2009, 05:08 PM
vBench

It's huge!!!..
Good luck for rest...
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2009, 05:54 PM
vBench

Hi Tony,

My, what a big "one" you have!!! LOL

Having it finished in ambush/camo will be a nice counter-point to Ian's project.

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2009, 06:02 PM
vBench

That sounds like it might be nasty Rick.LOL

Tony
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2009, 01:19 AM
vBench

Tony,

It really looks good so far. I can't wait to see the camo scheme.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 AM
Brokeneagle

Great work Tony

I am really looking forward to seeing this in Ambush cam (as Rick has pointed out - a good counterpost to mine). As I said in your T&T post, I really likethe clever and logical approach to your on board stowage. This will look very tough with the metal tracks as well as being a lesson in weightlifting when you pick it up.

Beagle
Old 06-08-2009, 11:45 AM
vBench

Guys I may have to rethink the Ambush scheme.
Bill Plunk aka wildbill 76 pointed out that the Ambush scheme ran from Sept to Oct.of 1944 and the camo in use when this unit would have taken to the field was Olivegrun base with a hard edge Rotbraun and Dunkelgleb over that in 1945.

I'm not a rivet counter just yet and it is a "What If" but don't you think it should at least have the appropriate paint scheme for the period?

I got the Trumpeter ammo set for this the other day and am really perplexed as to just where these huge shells and cartridge cases would've been stored.
There seems to have been 5 ready rounds on board someplace and if the gun was dismounted there would've been room for the crew to get them out of storage and fired but the high command decided to leave the gun mounted and that where the rub comes into play.

You can't stand these babies upright against the walls because they would not allow the sides to be folded inward to get under any low clearance obstructions. If you put them horizontally along the walls and with the gun install there is no room for the crew to walk and carry the heavy load.(the bullet portion alone weighted 143 pounds each.)

Any ideas out there????
Tony the Mutt
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Brokeneagle

1946 cammo?

Hi Tony, if we are going to get serious about cammo then the scheme is very difficult to predict. This vehicle would have probably gone into production in late '45 or early '46 and we do not know what the authorised pattern from the ministry would have been at this time. The proto vehicle seems to be a red primer5 and yellow vehicle of possibly a grey primer. We know that between Aug 44 (Ambush time) and May 45, the 'official schemes went from ambush to straight tri-color to plain yellow to green and finally maybe grey primer or red or even back to yellow. This was in the space of just 9 or 10 months.
The 45 green scheme was the official color at the start but who knows for later in the year or 46, when it would have gone into production - ambush might have been re-introduced or even disc cammo.
A 'what if 'is exactly that, just go with a bit of logic and you will be fine.

As a what if - initial production variants released for the winter offensive on East Prussia Jan/ Feb 1946 (production re-initited with American money - July 1945 due to tensions with the USSR)- VEHICLE IN BASE MEDIUM GREEN WITH FADING/ DIRTY WHITWASH streaked down those large side panels.

Just and idea
Beagle