Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-25-2009, 12:03 PM
vBench

Building exhaust fans and radiators

Last night I started building the exhaust fans and radiators. The larger parts that hold the radiators got painted with Model Master non-buffing magnesium, simply because I lack the ability to accurately mix 10% chrome into 90% steel. My one complaint about this part of the build is that Dragon nests pieces inside of the PE fan housings. I used a sharp number 11 blade and was still left with a tiny little nub that I didn't think it was wise to try to file down, due to how narrow the piece is at that point.

So, I annealed them with my handy Aim and Flame and bent them into the correct shape. I had a little problem getting the edges 100% square in some cases and may try to use the Exacto to correct that problem.

I gave the housings a nice coat of red paint as called for in the instructions, and the cooling fans a coat of MM non-buffing Aluminum. Tonight I have to paint the fan blades copper by hand, and I can get the whole assembly together.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 PM
vBench

Unit information

Paul,

Thanks for the information and link to the unit. It really helps me to narrow down the figure selection! Everyone else, thanks for the encouragement and kind words.

Tony,
My wife really appreciates the compliment, and may make a few more cameo appearances. Also, thanks for serving and paving the way for my generation!

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOPTAnker View Post
Tonight I have to paint the fan blades copper by hand
Sorry, the instructions are not clear on that point. My fault. Paint 'em like this:

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 05:22 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOPTAnker View Post
My wife really appreciates the compliment, and may make a few more cameo appearances. Also, thanks for serving and paving the way for my generation!

Michael
well, well, that's good news !
lol
interesting step by step build anyway.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 AM
vBench

Installation of cooling fans and hull MG build

OK, so I guess I should slow down a little bit, in order to incorporate corrections to my build. I installed the cooling fans which will make it pretty hard to correct the color. Luckily, they are under the grating. I may try to correct the top, red portion. Anyway, now we know that only the hubs are copper.

If I had any complaint about the kit it would be the ridiculously large number of pour plugs on the parts, especially the smaller ones. I am sure they are necessary to achieve the really great detail, but it sometimes leads to sanding smooth areas that should be rough. For instance, this part of the hull MG has three of the little guys on it.

Here are all of the parts for the hull MG prior to assembly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 09:27 AM
vBench

Hull MG assembly

Here is the MG in the two major sub-assemblies. I really recommend letting the glue on these two pieces fully cure before trying to put them together. If not, it is really hard to keep all of the pieces correctly aligned. Plus, there is no real rush to get them together, as all of the sub-assemblies for the upper hull take a good bit of time.

As you can see in the picture above, I chose to use the driver's vision port parts that allow the assembly to be opened and closed. It is really easy to get these parts in and glued without getting any glue on the moving parts.
Lastly, here is a very blurry picture of the MG assembled. I waited until this morning to put it all together. If you move your head back and forth really quickly, the image is much clearer. I will try to take a better shot tonight!

Until tomorrow, thanks for all of the encouragement and the great reference picture of the fans!

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 11:08 AM

The red part of your fans doesn't need correction. It is simply missing from the tank in the photo.
Just ahead of the fans, you added the top parts of the radiators. More bad news: although this part is to scale, it doesn't fit because the Dragon hull roof is thicker than the real thing. So you'll have to pop them off to get a good fit. Fortunately they are not visible.

David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 PM
vBench

Radiator popping

David,

Thanks for the heads up on that! I am pretty confident I can repaint the fan blades in aluminum and the hubs in copper!

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 12:41 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the fans. Really, they're not visible unless you prop the cover doors open (for a long road march).
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-26-2009, 01:11 PM
vBench

Not to worry

David,

Thanks. I will leave them be as is, and stow your knowledge for the next Tiger build.

I am looking for my build to come out looking something like this

so there will be a little bit of camo and surface coverage.

Any ideas on what the two colors on the exhaust shrouds are?

Michael
Reply With Quote top