Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-24-2009, 05:53 PM
vBench

Tiger I Late with Zimmerit

This is a blog of first for me. First build log, first German tank, and first diorama. I am totally open to criticism and suggestions. I am planning on doing this in a Normandy 1944 paint scheme of 1.s/PZ.Abt 102. If someone could explain what the unit nomenclature means, that would be great, and I would also really appreciate any reference photos that anyone could provide.

With that out of the way, here is my model holding my model

Next picture is a comparison of the two choices of wheel. I chose part G5, as this is what is called for in the instructions for the markings I have selected. As far as I can tell, the only real difference is the bolt pattern near the hub. The wheels were pretty easy to prepare, as there was only a very fine seam down the middle.

Here are all of them prepped and ready to go. I will not be mounting them for some time though!

This is the front of the hull prior to the attachment of parts F1 and F2 which go behind the drive wheels.

OK, so I will have to create another post as this is my fourth image

Michael

Last edited by PSYOPTAnker; 03-24-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 05:58 PM
vBench

Next step

And after attachment

Since I have recently been building kind of a lot of modern aircraft, my first instinct was to fill the seam, but I decided not to.

Lastly, here is the rear hull with just a couple of pieces attached.

That is where I am to this point. I got a little bit more work done last night, but have to take some pictures of it. After taking an Iraq-induced break from armor modeling, it is so great to be back. The best thing aboutj going to Iraq was that it introduced me to PlanetArmor and all of the great modelers and people here.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 06:32 PM
vBench

Michael, You're going to really need to burn some midnight oil
to match the beauty of that first completed model.

Welcome back home bro, Viet Nam was no picnic for me ether.

I'll be watching
Tony the Mutt
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 PM
vBench

Michael, nice start- will be looking in on you and your model

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 09:27 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to solorow
beautiful model~~~

regard
Old 03-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
Hi Mike,

Welcome to PA......

Nice start and for your info, here's a great link to the Henschel factory with some great pics...

http://www.alanhamby.com/factory1.shtml

It's up to you of course, but the real hulls didn't have that gap, the one you mentioned on the front sprocket area. You can see this in the link photos...

Good luck!

Cheers, Paul

PS The unit you mentioned was the schwere (heavy) SS Panzer Abteilung 102....here's a wiki link: (Although the link mentions Panzer Battalion, I don't think it was equivalent to US Battalions)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/102_SS_...nzer_Battalion

Last edited by serpico; 03-25-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-24-2009, 11:56 PM
vBench

Nice start...Michael.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 12:11 AM
vBench

Major Michael!!

I'm very glad that you are home, safe and sound, and I can't tell you how good it is to see your Vbench up and running - it's about time.

Looking forward to the many updates and good times ahead.

Talk to you soon,
Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 08:07 AM

Dragon have unfortunately mixed up the two muzzle brakes (large and small). And I didn't notice this when I wrote the list of part numbers for the decals. So use the opposite muzzle brake from what the instructions tell you!

Another thing to watch out for: they applied the Zimmerit to their existing kit without checking the fit. So there are a couple of places where you should smooth it off. The hinge for the turret side door, for example.

David
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-25-2009, 11:56 AM
vBench

Back of the hull and innards no one will ever see!

I finished off the back of the hull, and am still pleasantly surprised by how awesome the fit of the pieces on this model are! The first picture is of the interior of the hull, where all of the long supports for the road wheels go through to the other side. I was going to leave them off for as long as possible, but since I plan on having it sit on a flat piece of road in the diorama, I decided to put them all on. I got them level by leaving a sanding stick between the idler wheel arm and the drive wheel arm.

My next step was the installation of the exhaust stacks. The building of the top part has a critical step in that I had to make sure that all of the five posts are perfectly perpendicular to the base. These mate into the top of the actual muffler. I painted these ahead of time with Model Master burnt metal, as I think it may be a bit tough to get at them very well once the whole model is complete.

Next up was the build of the jack. This little eleven piece assembly looked like it would be trouble to build when I was reviewing the instructions, but it actually went very easily. It is important to get the handle even with the back of the assembly so that when mounting, the whole assembly sits flush on the back of the hull.

To finish up the back of the hull, I placed the items on the left side rear. These two went very smoothly!
Reply With Quote top