Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 AM
vBench

Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. F. - DML + some PE

Hi all,
This is my current project. It will be upgraded with Aber MG34 barrel and ArmorScale KwK 30 L/50 and I research for a good diorama idea to put it in later. At the moment I have some thoughts but no clear picture of the scene.

I checked some of the Pz II (C & F) builds (Jagdpanzer, Flak, Panzerfaust, RickLawler) on PA and found lots of info on building, "threats", manual errors and painting, so thank you guys! Your builds inspired me to start this little tank.

The first mistake was not-to-correct the running gear in the euphoria felt on buying this model - and I put & glued together the outer-lower hull before thinking about anything. Now I don't (and probably CAN'T) correct them no matter how big the shame is to have a Marder II running gear on a Panzer II I would be happy having only this mistake on the finished model...

As anyway I'm a quite slow builder, this time I will show you the result of the last few weeks: the inside of the Pz II as I imagine that. Moreover it was a good possibility to practice heavy weathering as almost nothing will be visible from that even with open hatches. It is still not clear how an ammo-rack looked like in these vehicles, however found some info on it in Osprey New Vanguard: German Light Panzers 1932-42... page 11:
"20mm - in ten-round magazines. On the nearside (left) wall of the fighting compartment - four magazines. On the offside wall of the fighting compartment - eight magazines. Under the turret ring, offside of fighting compartment - six magazines." - if anyone has photos, how this could be imagined, I would be very happy.

The inside is nicely detailed in my opinion, to make it a bit more life-like, I fabricated a headset from another DML set and a little piece of 0.2mm brass wire and put it on the seatback.

The pure, clear and shiny fighting compartment:

And after several layers of washes, heavy chipping, pigments and oil, it looks really-really dirty:

I hope you like it - and any criticism-suggestion is very welcome!
cheers,
Zsolt
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2008, 01:47 PM
vBench

Hi Zsolt! very nice!
cheers from Szeged!

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2008, 10:03 PM
vBench

You've done a fine job with the interior
- and I wouldn't sweat the fact you used the wrong springs- take this as an opportunity to work out some techniques- no one will really ever notice once it's done.
BTW I have been puttering away on a Dragon Panzer II/F too-

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2008, 04:11 AM
vBench

James, that looks good... when do you show the SBS build process to the public? My nearer term future plan is to learn&practice soldering, as I would like to build fenders, boxes, etc from PE but yet I don't feel myself to be prepared for that. I like the original plastic fenders of my Pz II, but yours look much more real...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2008, 07:03 AM
vBench

Hi Zsolt,

Great work on the lower hull interior ...can't wait the see the works on the upper hull
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2008, 01:45 PM
vBench

Hi all,
Long weekend in Hungary because of a National Holiday and some free time... However, if this banking crisis will accelerate further then I'll find myself with lots of free time quickly Before being sad: thanks to my good fortune and credit card I bought the next project (Stuart M3A1 from Academy) in summer, when 1 USD was 155 HUF... Now the rate is somewhere above 220.

I just looked at James Tainton's Pz II F (and C...) and felt the desire to create boxes like he does. Well, the result is far from perfect but I am pleased with it as it was the first try in my modelling carreer I cut the ugly original from Dragon, and made hinges, etc. from PE (Aber and Griffon). Two hours from my life and a bunch of grizzled hair on my head but it was a catharsis to finish it

I also felt that have to do something with the running gear, too. As I mentioned earlier, it was too quickly glued on the body of the tank, without any modification, that is why it depicts a Marder II on the "before" picture (the first from left is in a state of change.).

So... Mr White Putty and Mr Surfacer 500 was used with limited success. The result is better than using Marder II parts, however could not be even mentioned on the same day as Marco's scratchbuilt running gear. Next step was to cut the bolt heads and replace them with hex-rod pieces (from plastruct) and the result is... look:

Next step is to glue the upper and lower body together but unfortunately the weekend is (almost) over... cheers,
Zsolt
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2008, 02:15 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to canjuaan
Very very nice weathering on the interior, it looks absolutely convincing to me. Keep us posted, this going to be a nice one!

Johannes
Old 10-27-2008, 08:57 AM
vBench

Great paint job on the interior...keep it up
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2008, 10:39 AM
vBench

nice...looks great
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2008, 02:37 PM
vBench

Hello everyone,

Due to my limited time I can only post some small advancement on my Pz II. However, so many of these little beasts are currently under construction here on PA that we should call it to an "almost-groupbuild", a kind of a spontaneous one...

About the progress:
I've been always weak in planning the procedure of the build & paint, that was happening again - I had to remove the commanders cupola (no break, luckily but nice black ring on the top of the turret) as I was thinking about painting and found it to be better to paint separatively then risking to leave unpainted parts underside.
Painted the periscopes with silver and after drying with black but (surprisingly) no special visual effect resulted, but they will look just OK I think.

The model looks like this at the moment:

The inside of the turret was not as exciting as the hull. I painted the KwK and the machinegun with MM gunmetal metalizer and polished with a brush - I like the result, though it won't really be visible even through the opened commander's hatch.

The left-back of the tank:

And some wiring for the lamps. Btw, does anyone have idea of wiring the Notek head-lamp maybe?

All in all I still like this model, though some steps are missing from DML-s manual and some parts are with wrong number (the etched base of the wire cutter, for example) and some has no mentioning at all (the fire extinguisher for another example). I'm still not sure about the scene but thinking about a diorama of a sleepy morning in Russia - 10th PzDiv, waiting for the beginning of Operation Barbarossa. Or something like that...

cheers,

Zsolt
Reply With Quote top