Old 02-21-2011, 04:47 AM
vBench

washes on enamel colors

hi!
i'm pretty old school "do everything by yourself and find everything in kitchen/bathroom" guy so i paint models with revell enamel colors that i can buy in local store and i've always been doing washes with same color thinned with acetone... and it works fine if you don't rub that area too much...
so i want to try something new... i bought vallejo wash but i don't know how to work with it... if i leave it on too long it just dries like paint but if i take it of with some paper while it's still wet it usually takes it all of...
so i was thinking about washes with oil paints but i don't know how they work... can someone tell me more about it? do they work like washes made with thinner or do you have to clean them while they are still wet and all that stuff? couse i really don't like second option
or if i paint model with vallejo colors, will acetone wash with enamel color effect acrylic camo?

Last edited by KuKŁiNsKi; 02-21-2011 at 04:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-21-2011, 11:55 AM
vBench

O.k. I use oil for my washes. I paint models with both acrylic and enamel. If I like the color I use it. I then cover it with a protectant of some kind. I use a product called Duraquil. It is an automotive paint coat. It is actually acrylic but when cured is as hard as glass and nothing is going to harm your paint underneith. It does darken the base paint though so keep this in mind when painting you base coat. It is also glossy. Some people (including me) also use future floor wax. Same principle. After protecting your base paint with either duraquil or future I then place my decals. After that I may or may not place another lite coat to protect the decals. Then I begin the weathering. The smooth coat helps the wash flow into the places you want it and not create alot of flow marks. If it does just wipe it off with a cloth or Q-tip. After you are done with all the weathering just apply a flat coat or two. Again the protectant coat allows you to clean up or remove any mistake in the weathering without harming the base coat.

Roy
Old 02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
vBench

but if i don't protect enamel camo could oil wash react with it? like taking it of or something like that?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2011, 05:41 PM
vBench

guys does anyone know anything about this... =)
is it ment to be used on enamel paint job or...?
http://www.sockelshop.de/catalog/pro...ducts_id=30231
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 PM
vBench

Yeah if you are using enamel base then an oil wash may and could take part of the paint off if you dont protect the basecoat first as its the thinner you use that would do the damage
Its perfectly ok if you use acrylics like Tamiya and then an enamel based wash like AK which you have posted the link to
Personally I always protect the basecoat with whatever medium I use that way you dont have to repaint the whole lot if you muck up somewhere along the line

My 2pence/cents
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2011, 02:30 PM
vBench

Yes, if you paint with an enamel you need to protect the paint job with an acrylic like Future or Testors Acrylic gloss coat before weathering with oils. If you don't the thinning agent you use such as Mineral Spirits can ruin you paint job. Since my original response to this post back in Feb. I have gone to all acrylic paint and I weather in oils. No future or duraquil required.

Roy