Old 08-19-2008, 06:08 PM

Dragon 1/6 scale 20mm Flak 38 kit no. 75004

Hi guys
We had one of these (and the "Puppchen" 88mm rocket launcher) in the shop so I decided to get one and build it as a diversion from trying to build up enthusiasm for finishing my E25... The kit's quite nice, apart from a few mould seams, most of the parts fit together very well and it's quite a large bit of kit when finished - the gun on its own is nearly 15 inches long! The instructions could be a lot better, there are several parts with no apparent homes, and the instructions miss out quite a few part numbers and even list the main turntable part number as being a question mark. You do get a nice turned aluminium gun barrel in the kit as well as 4 ammo magazines and 12 shells. The shells didn't seem to fit very well in the magazines, they look too small to me, so I built up one magazine as an empty one. I've almost finished building the gun itself, most of the parts are in primer and the main gun is in matt black at the moment, I'm going to try and find a pencil to sand down so I can use the graphite powder to make it look metallic.
The gun is going to be on a small diorama (or is it not a diorama without figures?) showing it sitting behind a sandbag wall on a road, with lots of empty magazines and shell casings lying around, indicating that the gun has been used to fend off an enemy attack down the street but has run out of ammo and been abandoned. I've spent the last few evenings casting extra magazines out of resin, so far I have 13 extra mags, I'm looking at having a total of 25 to 30 magazines strewn around the place. The plan for the gun itself is to paint it panzer grey, weather it, then paint 3 tone camouflage over it then weather it again, giving it the look of a gun that's seen a lot of use in various places. Only the "outside" of the gun will be painted in 3 tone, ie the more difficult to reach areas between the side frames, under the gearboxes, etc will still be in original grey. I'm not planning to put much rust on the gun as I'm sure the crew would look after it. I'll probably put some brick dust and rubble on and around it as if a nearby building has been hit. I've seen some walkaround pictures of a flak 38 which is in a private collection somewhere and is in a right state, covered in rust and flaking paint, mine won't be like that, it'll be weathered and worn but not neglected. I'll try and get some pictures up over the next couple of days. I've also invested in some decent paint brushes and a couple of tubes of windsor and newton oil paint for doing the few rusty bits on the gun, a few of the magazines will be chipped and rusty as well. All I need now is some decent weather (In England? Yeah right... ) and an adapter for my airbrish to fit it to my air compressor.
-Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2008, 12:19 AM
vBench

Hi Steve,

Are you building on it...could you please sharing some pictures for us. I'm interesting to see the BIG Flak gun project from you
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2008, 02:47 PM

Hi there,
Not brilliant pictures, I just makrked out the size of the base on a piece of MDF (860mm x 380mm) which is the size of the shelf in the cabinet this model will be going in when it's finished. Most of the gun is in primer, I've painted the sight mount (at the back) panzer grey and mucked around with some windsor and newton paints, rusting the bolt heads up and putting on scratches and paint chips, it's certainly an interesting and effective technique, I need a lot of practice though! The gun has also been painted, it was sprayed natt black but then had some graphite powder polished into it, and some burnt blue and burnt red from a Tamiya weathering master set polished in around the breech block area and some more blue on the muzzle to make it look heat hardened. It looked great until one of the numpties at work got his mits on it, covered it in oily fingerprints and chipped some of the paint off the barrel!!
These pictures shows the rough layout, I'm planning to have a fence or wall along the back edge, the gun will be sitting on a cobbled road, and in front of it will be a low sandbag wall coming up to just below the gun barrel. The pile of empty ammo magazines behind the gun stands at 21 magazines so far, I may well add more, I want to give the impression of a desperate firefight against whoever or whatever is coming down the road. The idea of the fence or wall along the back is that the gun is quite close to the sides of the base, if there was nothing for the empty cases coming out of the gun to bounce off and keep them near the gun they would fly off outside the area of the base. I'm not sure how far they'd fly out of the gun but I've watched the 20mm Flak sequence in Saving Private Ryan and they seem to come out with a fair bit of speed.
Anyway, pictures, and bear in mind this is early stages, nowhere near finished yet...

Hopefully I'll get some better pictures up soon, I need to borrow one of my mates cameras ideally as neither of mine are good for close ups
-Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-22-2008, 07:43 AM
vBench

Nice start...
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 03:16 PM

It's a bit more grey now, I got the ole airbrush fired up after work today and sprayed all the major components german grey, first time using my dual action brush and I was using air tins as I've not had a chance to get to the suppliers and pick up an adapter for my compressor. I'm going to get an adapter tomorrow though, I'll go during my lunch break or something, as those air tins are a pain! They're fine for a while but then the pressure drops and you have to keep shaking them. Most of the parts are fine but some of them are really patchy. I'll have to play around with different paint to thinners ratios, the first batch I mixed was about 3:1 paint to thinners and seemed ok, next batch I mixed was 2:1 which seemed too thin as the parts I painted with that mix came out very patchy. I also tried spraying the sights with X18 semi gloss black and it came out really bad, I'll probably have to sand it back and do it again. In fact I might well paint them matt black instead. No pics for today, I was too busy painting, then cleaning the airbrush, then hurriedly clearing everything away before dinner I'll give it another go tomorrow and hopefully get some pics.
-Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
hi Steve,

It would look really nice with a 1/6th Flak crew...any available? doesn't Dragon make 1/6th figures?

Impressive model, only thing I ever had real large was a fly by wire Stuka....what a beautiful model that was!

Last edited by serpico; 08-25-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 02:38 PM

Dragon certainly do make 1/6th scale figures, I had a lok on ebay the other evening (was looking for accessories like ammo boxes, grenades etc to leave lying around) but they look a bit toy-like to me. I'm sure they could be made into very nice models, but I'll just make the gun for the moment I didn't have a chance to get to the place that sells air line parts, and the weather wasn't brilliant this evening so no more progress yet, I've put the gun together loosely for the minute and it looks pretty good I reckon.
Again apologies for the poor pictures, trying to get decent pictures in the evening using a mobile phone camera... not good.

The next 3 pics show close ups of the sight unit which I've modified by cutting out the solid plastic sighting block and replaced it with one made from a folded strip of clear yellow plastic sheet. I've also experimented on the rear control box with some windsor and newton paints, trying out some rusting, paint chips and scratches.

I'll try and get the grey finished off tomorrow and get some pictures of it outside
-Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Another Modeler

I always thought the sight lenses were either black or blue not yellow?

It does look nice though...

The photo with the gray filter looks nice, a better color, more like Panzer Gray....the other photos the gun looks blue.

I like the weathering.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 06:56 PM

All those pics were taken with the same camera - I just need to take photos outside rather than under artificial light I'm sure it'll look better once I get my other camera fired up and it's had another coat of paint. I saw this video on youtube and it looks to me like the sight lens is yellow - I may be wrong though If I am, I can make up another lens block easily enough. I'm glad you like the weathering, I wasn't sure how it would come out, I think I've over done it a bit on the control box though. The idea is that a lot of the panzer grey bits will be quite weathered whereas the 3 tone camouflaged bits will be relatively tidy, as if it had been partially camoflaged a few months previously. That's the plan at least, I might weather the whole thing then decide I prefer it grey!
-Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-26-2008, 09:50 PM
Another Modeler

By George I think you're right....

I guess I was thinking of periscopes in tanks,,,,doh!
Reply With Quote top