Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Gamers Corner

Gamers Corner Talk about PC, Console Gaming. Miniature Vehicle and Figure Gaming.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:05 PM
vBench

you may give up modelling for the realism

new game out on pc called war thunder . the graphics are all high def and game play is exelent. the detail is better than any photo etch kit out there and far surpasses world of tanks . totally free game to play and download is big at 8 gigs or better. check it out . not trying to sell anything. options for premium account.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2015, 12:50 PM
vBench

I downloaded this and even bought a bundle pack. It is fun, and runs well on my machine, but it's difficult to upgrade, the tech tree is confusing, but worst of all is the wait times. I've sat in the que for over a half hour waiting to get into a game. For aerial combat simulators I prefer World of Warplanes, but this one is by far the better tank simulator....if I would ever get to play it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2015, 08:15 PM
vBench

World of Warplanes is a can of trash compared to WT, but then World of Tanks is a much better tank game.
I could go on about why or how for pages and ages, but I'll just stick to saying: the aircraft part of WT is almost completely fine (what you'd expect from the company that made Il-2), but the ground forces are not up to par. I have been a closed beta tester for ground forces, and let me tell you: between the last time I played on the test server (one week before release) and release to open beta, the ground forces element has been raped by an "open closed beta" (whatever the hell that means), where approximately 100k players got to play the thing and killed the balance that 1500 testers' hard work has established, because the germans were outnumbering russians 20:1 (germoney stronk, must play), so that of course completely killed the numbers.

@Dan: Waiting times are not that bad, only if you want to play simulator (full real) battles.

For a tank game, World of Tanks is much better, because of the tiering and the relative creative freedom to add balancing parameters. WarThunder wants to achieve a maximum of historical accuracy (somehow still seems strongly biased towards russians, lol), only their game mechanics are much too complicated for enjoyable gameplay, especially in realistic and simulator battles.

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2015, 01:27 PM
vBench

I completely disagree Ropi. The "world of" series are lighter and funner, and less realistic IMO that WT, but the complexity and wait times with WT take all the fun out it for me. WT is more realistic in both modes (air and ground) than World Of. I have seriously had wait times on WT over a half hour, and on average it is 15 minutes or more. Usually I give up and switch to aircraft mode where the wait times aren't so bad. I don't know....I've just had much better luck actually being able to play on World of Tanks than I have on War Thunder. Just my experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2015, 03:20 PM
vBench

Yes, the Wo series are less realistic than the modes of WT, however, that is that makes them a competitive game. The randomness of WoT is contained and well defined, while nobody really knows how exactly damaging works in WT. Sometimes you one-hit enemy players in WT, sometimes it takes two artillery strikes, 4 flanking shots and an airstrike to take out the very same target.

Trust me when I say: The damage system in WarThunder (ground forces if nothing else) are incredibly buggy. I have played WTGF for a good 6 months in simulator and gotten within spitting distance of rank 5 with germans before I decided "screw it" and went back to WoT.
Why? Simply because WoT has quite predictable mechanics. Guns have average penetration and damage values for different ammo types that are compatible with them, you have armour thicknesses and angles, and when you come up to a situation, you can predict to a certain degree what's going to happen. How much HP you're going to lose if the tank facing you achieves a penetration, how likely a penetration is from him and the same for you against him.

The reason for the WT wait times to be as high as they are is that the higher you get in rank, the less people are willing to put their patience and sanity at risk for a limited amount of fun. The realistic and simulator gamemodes in WTGF are overcomplicated (damage models and mechanics, movement mechanics) and thus broken. There is also a bug in simulator (haven't played tanks in ages, so I don't know if it's still present) where if you turn down your settings to minimum most of the foliage disappears, enabling you to identify and acquire enemy targets easier than they can spot and acquire you (or anyone who plays with eyecandy enabled). I for one have been trying to get my hands on Steel Beasts to play with it again, as that is a good simulator, but so far no joy (being a broke college student doesn't help...).

The aircraft mode in WT however is much better rounded than the GF element, that one is worth playing in both arcade and realistic (not pro enough for sim though).

If you want to play tanks and you value your sanity, stick to WoT...

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2015, 07:57 PM
vBench

I think I understand what you're getting at Ropi. While the damage factor in WT does seem a little buggy, I think it adds a little realism. WoT seems almost too scientific and precise to me. My KV1 in WT often gets slaughtered very quickly by small, light tanks for no good reason, so I get the bugginess you speak of. I much prefer the mechanics of WTs ground game to that of WoT though. To me their air games are about the same, though WT has better graphics and realism, WoWP runs better on my machine. At any rate I'm pretty let down by both games....too slow moving and too methodical for my tastes. I'd love to see something out that based in a little less realism and a bit more action, perhaps using modern style armor that has the quality of WTs graphics and gameplay.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2015, 08:07 AM
vBench

In that case, Dan, I suggest you keep an eye out for Armored Warfare. It's a game that is more like WoT, however it runs on a much younger engine (WoT's BigWorld engine is... old and crude to say the least), and has (despite copying many features of WoT) much more variety to it (all the goodies of modern tanking, like active protection systems, ATGM's, etc are supposedly included). I might make it to closed beta (gods help my grades if I do), I'll tell you more about how it's like then (although I remember WTGF being much less buggy in the ending phases of closed beta...)

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-13-2015, 09:31 AM
vBench

I'll keep an eye out for it Ropi...thanks. In honesty, I downloaded the latest WoT, and I do have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. It runs so much better than the version I used a couple years ago. Wait times are fast, gameplay works well, and it's progression is easier to understand than WT, if still being unnecessarily complicated. WT is still considerably more realistic, but WoT tanks are more fun.
That being said, I have some questions you might be able to help me with on WoT. I'd like to upgrade to a better tank...I've been using a gifted LTP for a week or so now. I have no gold, but I have about 250k in silver credits. The tank I want to purchase is about 215K, and I have an open slot available for a vehicle to purchase, but when I try to buy/research it, nothing happens. It is a T5 tank. I have not bought any tanks yet.....do I have to buy a certain number of tanks of lower tiers before I can move up? I'm not sure that's correct either because come to think of it, it wont let me buy any tank of any price to fill that slot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-17-2015, 01:54 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankDan View Post
I'll keep an eye out for it Ropi...thanks. In honesty, I downloaded the latest WoT, and I do have to say I'm pretty pleased with it. It runs so much better than the version I used a couple years ago. Wait times are fast, gameplay works well, and it's progression is easier to understand than WT, if still being unnecessarily complicated. WT is still considerably more realistic, but WoT tanks are more fun.
That being said, I have some questions you might be able to help me with on WoT. I'd like to upgrade to a better tank...I've been using a gifted LTP for a week or so now. I have no gold, but I have about 250k in silver credits. The tank I want to purchase is about 215K, and I have an open slot available for a vehicle to purchase, but when I try to buy/research it, nothing happens. It is a T5 tank. I have not bought any tanks yet.....do I have to buy a certain number of tanks of lower tiers before I can move up? I'm not sure that's correct either because come to think of it, it wont let me buy any tank of any price to fill that slot.
You have to grind through all the tanks before it in line, yes. The XP you have generated on the LTP (assuming you haven't activated accelerated crew training) is basically useless, because being a premium vehicle, it is not part of the techtree, so it doesn't lead to any other vehicle.
You said you want to buy a T5 vehicle, let me give you an example:
M4 T5, US, medium tank (MT).
In order to be able to play that tank, you will need to play:
  • The T1 Cunningham on Tier 1, on which you'll need to generate 150 xp (30 for the 37mm automatic gun M1924 and 120 for the T2 medium) in order to move to...
    The T2 Medium on Tier 2, on which you'll need to generate enough xp to reach the M2 Medium (at this point you might also need to enlock modules like the suspension on the T2 in order to fit the bigger guns, etc)
    The M2 Medium on Tier 3, which you'll use to unlock the M3 Lee
    The M3 Lee on Tier 4 (horrible tank), which will finally lead to the M4 Sherman.

On the LTP the xp you have generated, as mentioned earlier, is useless unless you pay gold to convert it to free experience.
Free experience is generated by every tank every time, and can be spent on any research you want. The problem is that the amount of free xp generated is generally very low (I'm not sure of the exact amount, but I think it's 5% of the regular xp earned on a vehicle). Anyway, in order to buy any vehicle that is not a premium, you need to research it first in its techtree, by playing the vehicles before it. The xp generated on one vehicle can be only used to research things related to it, like its modules (suspension, engine, guns - however, there is overlap for certain modules within the same techtree) and the vehicle(s) that can be researched from it. Free xp can be used anywhere, but it's usually better to save it for things you don't want to suffer with (a better gun right from the start or a suspension that has a high enough load limit to allow you to mount a better gun).

I hope that answers your question. If not, ask again, I'll be glad to help (although I think it would be classified as topic derailing, so may as well make a separate thread for it).

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2015, 10:56 AM
vBench

Thanks Ropi...that helps a lot. I'm assuming the system works basically the same way in War Thunder? It seems a little simpler, and also seems like you advance a little faster. I don't know what all the different symbols mean, like, I know what the gold and silver lions are, though I don't see many places I can spend my silvers, and it seems like I earned a bunch of them right off the bat and then it kind of crapped out and the earnings the past several games has been much lower even though my performance is far better. I don't know what the "balloons" as I call them are for, the gold and blue balloon shaped credits. And I don't understand how certain actions while playing translate into a better score or more earning at the end. For instance in some battles I'll do almost nothing and score the same or higher than I do in a battle where I score several hits and a couple kills. There doesn't seem to be any real consistency in the scoring that I can tell.
Reply With Quote top