Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Gamers Corner

Gamers Corner Talk about PC, Console Gaming. Miniature Vehicle and Figure Gaming.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM
vBench

I'm waiting for the new Close Combat VI

to arrive at my home... for those of you not familiar with the king of tactical scenarios:

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/game.asp?gid=335

I love this game - and think it's great that they have revived and updated the series (it wouldn't play on Windows XP) - with Cross of Iron. Platoon to company size operations of German vs. Russian. Play from either side - the AIs have been improved, and they have done a great deal of work on making the tables of availability and vehicle strengths/weaknesses extremely accurate.

Not a first person shooter, but if you like slogging to Moscow and back with the troops and equipment of the day, I think you'll like it a ton.

Let me know what you think if you try it -

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
vBench

I played the earlier CC games and loved them. If this is anywhere close to them, then I'm in.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-16-2007, 09:18 AM
vBench

I've had this for sometime.
Like the past 5 CC games it cheats by both down grading the armor factor and the fire power. The AI compensates for the designers inability with "bull-poo" antics to combat an elite Tiger crew (crewed by 5 Iron/Knights Cross holders). Snippers can't pick up on a T34 sitting in the open that then shoots twice, knocking out the 88 with its first shot and killing everyone in the turret with its next!! The T34 then pops up out of nowhere.
I played by modem, with others, until the cheating AI kicked yet again to screw a well planned stratagem.
coops (the bitter)

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2007, 11:43 AM
vBench

tankette A bitter, bitter man :)

I've pretty much grown to accept that all Russian assaults (if you can call their plodding meanderings assualt), will consist of more KVs than were ever built by the Soviets

I've got the game and just completed the Barbarrosa Mod Campaign - I highly recommend it - and some times you want to flip the chess board around and play the "white" pieces, just to get them across the bridge, expoit the open flank, etc.

That being said, I can't not play it - I've yet to see anything I like better, and First Person bullet spraying just doesn't fill my noggin' like the CC format. I'd like to see a true next generation game with a quality AI... the concept and units are largely up to speed - but it would be a much better game if the overcompensatory "cheats" you refer to were replaced by better quality opponent use of resources and terrain.

Oh, and what's up with the opening seconds immediate destruction of your primary PAK by direct and indirect fire - amazing how they can sight and get rounds on target before you can get your finger off the "begin" button

Paul

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-01-2008, 01:00 AM
vBench

Quote:
Oh, and what's up with the opening seconds immediate destruction of your primary PAK by direct and indirect fire - amazing how they can sight and get rounds on target before you can get your finger off the "begin" button
Ok, here's a good trick if you're Soviet. Get a 152 and shoot every tall building/tree you can get a bead on. The collateral damage is amazing with multiple smoking half-tracks and tanks (dead infantry and guns too). Ping a Ferdinand by shooting the crest line and not the AFV! Even if you can't knock the tank out you can kill the crew off.
German rocket half-tracks do the same but to a lot less effectiveness.

Coops (still very bitter )

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM
vBench

where do you get it

Sherman M4A2
Panther Ausf G (tamiya)
DML M4A1 sherman (omaha beach)
DML Heavy MachineGun Team
8.8 Flak 36 "north afican campaign"
Revell A10 warthog (about to be smashed)(destroid)
Jagedtiger hensel production (DML)
Sdkfz 250/10(20mm) (tamiya)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-20-2009, 08:13 AM
vBench

I down loaded it immediately (couldn't wait) and had the physical copy sent on later.
http://www.digitalriver.com/dr/v2/ec...DE=&CACHE_ID=0

I should reload it as it's been a while since I played the game. To be fair, there really is nothing close to this game and the complaint I made above only relates to me exploiting holes in the program and that triggered retaliation.
Get a Tiger I (SS only as you'll be able to up-grade to a Tiger II) at the start of the Stalingrad battles. Get that tank into Russian infantry where the commander kills the Soviets himself and you'll clock up a huge total and a nights cross or two. Save the game lots as you will need to reload often to get the right type of damage. Only a bit as you'll get the crew rotated with just the bow MG damaged. The IQ of the crew goes through the roof very dambed quick with a bit of close combat . The solo Tiger plays on in the lead and I'd get a second one that plays the roll of "wingman". If you main boy gets knocked out and the crew is intact you can use the second Tiger to cover their escape of the map. A lot of fun all up .

Reply With Quote top