Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Gamers Corner

Gamers Corner Talk about PC, Console Gaming. Miniature Vehicle and Figure Gaming.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:30 PM
vBench

Thinking of getting one of these

http://www.apple.com/macpro/

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 10:50 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
one of these.....

I was thinking about getting the Macbook Pro, but, Photoshop has not quite caught up with the new Intel/Mac technology yet , soooooo. I will probably stick with a new PC for now.

Larry
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2006, 10:56 PM
vBench

The only real advantage is that with Apple, there are not as many viruses to worry about...Mac to PC viruses, it's like 1 to 117...eventually though, odds are that Macs will get just as many as PCs...currently Macs are like 5% (at least) of all computers out there...as there share of the market grows, so does their risk of infection....

That'd be a cool system to get though James (you'd just have to get used to their operating system )

~RC
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2009, 07:41 PM
vBench

if you get an apple you cant play games OH NO

Sherman M4A2
Panther Ausf G (tamiya)
DML M4A1 sherman (omaha beach)
DML Heavy MachineGun Team
8.8 Flak 36 "north afican campaign"
Revell A10 warthog (about to be smashed)(destroid)
Jagedtiger hensel production (DML)
Sdkfz 250/10(20mm) (tamiya)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-19-2009, 08:04 PM
vBench

Oh... that's not the case. I have Call of Duty for MAc- works fine. I don't really play games any hooo- no time and if I did want to get the selection that is available for PC's it's not a problem.

For example, from a mate's post about the subject

Quote:
So here it is. My new Macintosh:-

She's a beaut. 3.06GHZ Intel core-duo with 500GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM with a pretty good if not absolutely top of the range Radeon graphics card.. Runs OSX Leopard. So far so at home. But being an Intel machine means that under the bonnet it's pretty much a PC. Just packaged in a far prettier way. And running OSX. Obviously. Now, I love Macintosh, I love OSX and day to day wouldn't want to use anything else. But I'm no Mac Nazi, and do use windows every day, and happily so.So it would be nice to have the option. Which I now have. So I obtained a brand new copy of XP via a German seller on Ebay. Cost £35. And then ran the OSX boot-camp assistant. It lets you partition your Mac hard drive for a windows install on a partition. I have 500GB so I set aside 150GB for XP. Then insert your XP disc and hit the install button. And in very short order get to here:-

Now THAT looks f&%#@*>! strange on a Macintosh doesn't it?
But from here on out it's pretty much just a normal Windoze install. Problem free and quick as any other:-
Formatting the partition

Installing XP

And thence to here:-

Trust me, for a Macintosh user this is right next door to being in the friggin twilight zone!

Once XP is up and running you have to insert your OSX install disc 1. This installs all the drivers needed to take advantage of all the cool iMac stuff (iSight camera, keybopard shortcuts, remote control) even when using Windoze.

And then re-boot:-

Still weird!

Play with your video settings and there you have it:-

A windoze desk top on your iMac running at 1920X1200. And remember, it's running natively, not under emulation, so there's no performance hit at all. To all intents and purposes this IS a PC when running the Windoze partition.
Windows Quake 4 enemy territory installed and running. No issues.

Best of both worlds indeed!
Caveats:-
1:/When running OSX your Windoze partition shows as "Untitled" hard drive on your OSX desk top. OSX can't handle NTFS partitions, so you can read but not write to this disk under OSX. If you have allocated less the 32GB for Windoze you can format the drive as FAT and have no issues. The workaround for OSX and NTFS is Paragon software's NTFS reader. Which opens up the Windoze partition for reading and writing. Worth the money in my opinion. As a for instance the pictures in this thread were edited and saved on the XP partition using IrfanView. And then simply uploaded in OSX from the XP partition like any other folder. But with NTFS reader I could potentially edit them further in OSX if desired and save them back to the XP partition.
2:/Windoze can't read Macintosh hard drives FULL STOP. So you can't even see the 350GB OSX partition when running XP. A small programme called Mac Drive sorts this nicely. Now both partitions can read and write to their opposite numbers no problems. To illustrate this my XP install of iTunes is using the OSX library now. No issues.
So there you have it. If you add together the cost of a new copy of XP, and the two disk reading programmes to allow seamless use between the two systems it has cost something like £75 to get essentially two computers in one box.
I'm a Mac person. I just value the option.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 05-19-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-10-2013, 05:15 PM
vBench

Macs are great if you do design work of any type. It's also a cleaner environment to work in IMHO.

Please visit my site at http://www.militarywargaming.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2013, 10:27 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to the_dagger Send a message via MSN to the_dagger
I gott a Macbook pro some weeks ago and I have nothing to complain about!