Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 02-16-2010, 05:25 AM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to Jonny Bravo Send a message via Skype™ to Jonny Bravo
Very juicy and pleasant colours, keep it up, Matt

Best,
Andrey.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 07:43 AM
vBench

Mattias your thread is better and better for people like me that know nothing .
I will have to call you the teacher of old men LOL.
I will keep this thread on my computer to help me get a first class paint job. I know that you have talent to and not just tricks so maybe even with your help I will still pains bad .
Good work , Steve

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .

Last edited by Coops; 02-16-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 07:54 AM
vBench

Looks superb
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2010, 10:40 AM
My Car has Zimmerit

Fantastic work! You have a very keen ability to impart depth and realism - it's hard to believe it's plastic. Keep it up!

"The World has taken a turn for the surreal. . ."

vBench | Picasa Web Albums | AMPS Chicagoland
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2010, 08:57 AM
vBench

A BIG thanks to all of you. Its great to have you with me on this thread .

Coops: As I wrote earlier, I'm glad if anyone finds my work inspiring and useful. I'm sure you'll do a great job even without my SBS.

Another update done. This will probably be the most thorough SBS that I'll do, as taking pictures and writing explanations take a lot of time. But the feedback makes it worth it.

Ok. I've glued the main body to the chassis and started with pigments to the floor, interior, tires and to the underside of the fenders. I mixed two different shades of pigments (MIG Pigments) for this treatment.
Dark mix = Europe Dust + Light Dust + Gulf War Sand. Ratio 1:1:1.
Light mix = The mix above + Light dust. Ratio 1:4.

I apply the pigments with a brush, putting more pigments alongside details, corners and so on (were the crews boots doesn't rub it off). This is done with the darker mix of pigments. This is sealed with another brush soaked in Humbrol Thinner. While still being wet I apply small amounts of the lighter pigment mix.
Once dry I start to blend the pigments with a brush, being carefull not to smear everything out, as I want to leave small piles of dirt here and there on the floor. Any excess may be removed with a brush dampened in Humbrol Thinner or with a finger.
The pigments are used on the interior walls as well, fading them out from bottom to top.
NOTE: The seats haven't been weathered yet.

The underside of the fenders are done the same way as the interior. Here I concentrate most of the pigments to the areas closest to the ground and where the tire usually kicks up most of the dirt.

To get the pigments into the tire-pattern I made a string of pigments on a piece of paper. Then I brushed Humbrol Thinner along the pattern and rolled the tire in the pigment mix.
The pigments builds up pretty much, but the excess is removed with an old brush. The same mix is gently brushed onto the sides of the tire. Finally I wipe most of it off with my finger. For a better result I breath on the finger to get it a little moistened. This increases friction and the ability to remove the pigments.

The load has been treated with a dark black-brown wash to blend the different equipment together and as a quick way to get shadows. Now it's time to paint details, highlight and add dust.

The windshield was airbrushed from both sides with a VERY thin layer of XF-55, Deck Tan (Tamiya). I didn't mask the area, thinking it was too time consuming, but simply wiped away the paint with a brush moistened with Tamiya Thinner. On the outside I followed the wipers movement and on the inside I imitated the crew, how they cleared the windshield with a rag.
This isn't permanent, so I'm still able to adjust the look of it after it has been glued to the vehicle.

Finally a picture showing the vehicle in its present state.

Thanks for looking.
/ Mattias Larsson
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
vBench

Like the weathering effect of the windscreen
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2010, 01:42 PM
vBench

Very nice!
Arthur

The Music
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2010, 06:13 PM
vBench

Hi again

This evening I started chipping the Steyr. I did this with a darker mix of the original base colour. Some of the chipping were also done to simulate thrown up dirt-water. A graphite pencil was used on the more frequently worn areas.
The chipping may seem a bit too much, but this is deliberate as it will be toned down later on by pigments.

Time for sleep.

C ya
/ Mattias Larsson
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-17-2010, 08:31 PM
My Car has Zimmerit

Wow, Mattias, this just keeps getting better and better. Your work is fantastic. I half expect the thing to start up and drive away! My wife just saw this over my shoulder and it made her want to take up the hobby. Keep it coming!

"The World has taken a turn for the surreal. . ."

vBench | Picasa Web Albums | AMPS Chicagoland
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-19-2010, 01:27 PM
vBench

looks great so far! I especially appreciate how you kept the color palette similar for the stowage items, so that all of the individual details are picked out but no single thing jumps out at you. Weathering looks good so far too!
keep it up
Reply With Quote top