Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 05-25-2005, 11:46 AM
vBench

Hello,

To Flak: A little late but I found a lot of the greif products - including the bolt tools - on the page of pdi-model-supplies (http://www.pdi-model-supplies.com/)

To James: Well it is been a long time since you have sent me a mail about your weathering (maybe more than 2,5 years) so I guess you will not remember. Since then I have seen you do a lot of models in a great and encouraging way and I choose this way to thank you for the job helping people like me with your work.

So after saying the nice things you may wonder when the bad things are coming

Okay ....I have a wish: If you find time ... yes I know "Keine Zeit müde zu sein ..." can you explain a little more about your soldering technique .... like if you presolder parts, tips you use, heatsinks and so on ....I would be really interested.

In any way please keep up your nice work - I enjoy it a lot!

Harry
Old 05-25-2005, 08:52 PM
vBench

[/QUOTE]To Flak: A little late but I found a lot of the greif products - including the bolt tools - on the page of pdi-model-supplies (http://www.pdi-model-supplies.com/)
[QUOTE]

Thanks for your link...NOT TOO LATE for me...we are building the models forever :lol: The greif's tools look interesting for me...I may try to order one later...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 05:53 PM
vBench

I'll see what I can do about providing soldering process info but it does cut into my natual flow and sometimes I just want to build the model :lol:
The next area I decided to take a look at was the gun platform- foled it up and started on the gun base as well.

the bracket that hold the side board panel supports are inserted and soldered into permenant position.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 04:56 AM
vBench

so with that done I started on the gun mount base- an odd looking fabrication that is the part of the gun base that mounts to the chassis, to which subsequent parts of the gun mount are attached.
For music I was having this on for tonight, click
Lili Marlene

This started off bad with me cutting tiny little tips that I thought were fret stubs but were really part of the clasp's hinge. I seem to spend alot of time redoing things cause I didn't notice something in the instructions, (read careless reading of instructions here) or I'm on the floor trying to find a part that has flown ito the air and is now out of sight...Oh well not a total lose -everything will be static in any case- although if carefully done the Aber parts allow thw clasp to be opened- I just figure if I left it like that at some point it would break due to metal fatigue and then I would have a problem...
A close-up on a pic from the MK Editions book on the RSO shows you the thing I'm talking about.

here the frame that the clasps get mounted on is folded

there is a pointy looking thing into which one of the clamps gets stuck in. The clasp has four parts and man - I had to take a few hours just to get one done- the next ones were easier but man sometimes with soldering- things go wrong and you have to repostion things over and over...
this looks a bit messy but I'll clean it up with steel wool later and it will look great with a coat of paint.

another angle of the clamp

next came the part that goes on top of this arrangement- started that to se how it figures..
I got the tube rolled up okay and the doughnut top part on okay but the little pieces that are on the the base aroungd this central cylinder were done all WRONG!!!! :angry:
I had to redo the whole thig- at one point just redoing things over and over until the parts went were I wanted them- more of that in the next post

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 10:15 PM
vBench

So after ripping off, (actually reheating and then gently taking off), the odd shaped walls that make up the four sided gun support support, (since I had installed them incorrectly) I beagan again this time a little more wiser. (I would encounter another twist further on down the line)...I cannot stress strongly enough for the new guys... read and rerread the insruction... it'll save you some head aches :lol:

so here I am starting to add the various parts that are attached to each of these arm sides. each leaf has like 6 or so little nuts or cylinders that need to be added> There are a couple of the varieties need to be rolled into tiny cylinders.

just an over view...

here is a series of pics showing the process I've been on for a couple 'o days

the "X" on the one part halfway down is about the PE part got wrecked and I had to scratch one.
The torch in 25 is what I used (VERY CAREFULLY!!) to melt and clean up all the crap! Works great.

After a break I may come back and add more descriptive text... for now that's it! :lol:

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-27-2005, 10:37 PM
vBench

AAA...AMAZING :lol: How perfect you done it
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2005, 04:50 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Flak@May 27 2005, 09:37 PM
AAA...AMAZING :lol: How perfect you done it
thanks-though its's not "perfect" I am happy with the result so far -
I found another link to a restred vehicle.
http://www.rommelkiste.de/Fahrzeuge/rso/rso.html
Any help from all of you regarding deployment of these vehicles would be appreciated- I'm starting to think about the finish I want to give this guy.
I wonder if the 12 SS had any?

Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2005, 08:54 AM
vBench

Hey James, try this websites out they give some info about the Rsobelonging to Army group south and the18th panzergrenader division. I read this article forgot where. But it did say that some were used in the defense of berlin with the french violenter units and Volkstrum units

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/3620/rso_pak.htm

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-28-2005, 10:52 AM
vBench

Jeez when people comment that Aber can be insane.. this thread seems to verify it!.. lol a lot of us just shy away from the isanity.. I've gotta admire the way you just dive right in James!... Looks great!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 06:40 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Tuna@May 28 2005, 09:52 AM
Jeez when people comment that Aber can be insane.. this thread seems to verify it!.. lol a lot of us just shy away from the isanity.. I've gotta admire the way you just dive right in James!... Looks great!!
Thanks
I really like using Aber PE because to me it gives me another level of information on how these vehicles actually went together. When you compare the parts from the kit that make up this gun mount area and the thing that comes out of assembling the Aber PE parts the "awareness" of how things went together is like black and white. If you just glue the kit's parts together paint it and call it done- I feel one misses out on a whole bunch on insight on the construction of this anti-tank vehicle. There is a need to refer to reference foto of the real vehicle that also adds a layer of clearity on the way things looked. So while it may seems like in sanity I feel that the gains in insight of how these things went together is worth the effort. Plus I am drivien for some reason to get to the root of things, and I find it fun!
compare the Aber part (somewhat incomplete) and the kit's offering.

the other problem that is encountered with the Italeri gun platform is the floor plates. They are not portrayed in a proper configuration and also the thickness of the frame is not consistent with the actual vehicles ability to store ammo under these floor plates. Here I will describe the process that the Aber set has. Here is a shot of the AFV set that I will use.

here is a shot showing a completed plate in place,

the little clip that secures the plate in place is moveble

the underside

Reply With Quote top