Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
vBench

Tieren (To be 1/35)

Hello everyone!

Here's something different for you. Broken Eagle has built the same kit last year it seems... A nice change from all those tracks and wheels, eh?

Although this kit is actually 1/100, I tend to build chosen BANDAI kits as 1/35 mechs and use them together with 1/35 scale figures and accessories. In Gundam 00, these mechs belong to one of the three superpowers of the world in that series, an Asian union heavily influenced by Chinese and Russian elements. Not to stray too far from that (and its right amount of ugliness) I will model this one as a Soviet mech.

Compared to your typical AFV kit, these kits are a bit tedious to build. There are 10 sprues of plastic parts plus 2 sprues for Poly Caps. I really like Master Grade Bandai kits as they are generally posable thanks to these Poly Caps.

The only problem with these Gundam kits is that the instructions are ONLY in Japanese. Although there are English text here or there, it doesn't help you at all. No big deal, since these are designed for easy snap-fit assembly, it should be a piece-of-cake for a seasoned modeler.

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
vBench

Construction of these kits, especially if you are going for the "regular" modeling way rather than "snap-fit", can really take time and patience. This is because Gundam kits generally have a movable skeleton. The rest you build onto this and it becomes movable. This kit doesn't have a real "skeleton" but movable -and many- joints. For them to be operational, you need a lot of care.

In the first stage, you assemble the chest part and then attach the "shoulders", which are composed of these...

Attaching the part:

And viola! We have two movable shoulders! (Oh yeah, big deal...)

After that, I assembled the abdomen (left) and the back-pack (right). The rectangular box on the chest is normally the cockpit area in which the pilot sits.

With these, the first part of the assembly is complete. Onto the second part, the arms...
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2009, 01:30 PM
vBench

I should say the arms took me a whole day to complete. This is largely due to the need to wait for the cement to dry and to properly sand the components for a good fit.

I started with the shoulders.

Then assembled the elbow and wrists:

Finally the hands... Note that except for the hands, all joints are completely movable. In some Gundam kits hands can move a little... In the latest Gundam kits, called Version 2.0 (similar to Dragon's Gen2 figures), all fingers move thanks to separate joints in each finger! For Tieren, however, they are totally fixed in a position to hold its weapons.

Put them together and we have an arm!

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2009, 01:33 PM
vBench

For the left hand, you get two optional hands. One is open, the other is closed as if it's holding something (in this case, a weapon if you want Tieren to hold a weapon with this hand).

The shoulders of this beast also have small armored shields for protection. They are easy to assemble, but the snap-fit design creates a problem... Uh oh...

I will use a small trick to make that problem... let's say a bit better...

Stage 2 of assembly is complete... Now we need some legs!

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2009, 02:04 PM
vBench

First to be assembled are the feet... Thanks to large pieces, it takes little time. Yet, whoever designed this thing must have a very, very poor taste in shoes! Yuck!

Then comes the most important part... the whole joint area of knees. You see very little outside, right? Well, inside that part there are tons of little moving parts... cementing those was a nightmare.

The leg is completely assembled.

If you are wondering the break-down of a single leg... Here it is!

Finally, the legs are completely done (together with the knee-shield)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2009, 02:17 PM
vBench

With the waist done....

The Tieren is ready!

Before moving onto painting, however, I needed to make a small adjustment. While sanding some of the parts, I have lost the cast-steel texture given in the kit. So, I thinned some putty with enamel thinner and created my own texture by dabbing the surface with the thinned putty.

Now I'm ready to paint! Sooo many parts... I miss my box-shaped tanks that are so easy to paint.

I decided to apply pre-shading to my Tieren. Also, I wanted the different colors of plastic and putty to be completely blended into one color for the base, so I decided to spray all of the parts with Tamiya's matt black (XF-1) color.

Now comes the question.... What color should I paint this thing? Should I choose a single green color and try different tones? Or, should I paint it camouflaged, with green and sand colors? What do you think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2009, 03:54 PM
vBench

nice work,green with thin lines of dark yellow?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-28-2009, 07:00 PM
vBench

Nice kit and well built .
How tall is this unit [in scale]? If it's really big you'll need to add other cam colors to the unit as it'll be taller than the green trees it's hiding in .
Do you like the cam used on German units in the Spanish Civil war? That grey/brown could be swapped to green/brown.

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 03:42 AM
vBench

The model is about 20 cm tall. If I assume a scale of 1/35, it stands nearly 7 meters tall... hmmm, building sized?

I liked the idea of green with lines... I might do that with Sand lines on Green.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-29-2009, 04:55 AM
vBench

why dont you paint it in an unfinished steel colour
Reply With Quote top