Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 PM
vBench

Carro Armato L6/40 (Italeri)

Just started a new one.
The Limited edition Ansaldo L6/40 from Italeri.
Let me tell you, that this one isn't a walk in the park.
The parts fit really bad and nothing goes into place without adjustment. It can be minor or really big.
Major elbow grease here.

The gun tube is not bad, but on the tip the hole was off center. I had to use a drill bit to adjust it. The MG was so bad (tube halves didn't match) that I replaced it with some plastic drilled with a han drill just to make it look like a tube.

The engine cover was short on one side. Although the seam is partially covered with the stowage box, I didn't know that when I added a plastic strip to adjust it to the size
The rear holders for the fenders were too far off. Between the piece on the fender and the one on the hull (supposed to be continuous there was a huge gap. Solution? Just cut it and do one with plastic.
With all the sanding and adjusting the rivets had to go. They were later replaced.

Most of the pieces are just in place but not glued. Before I glue each one I have to check all the gaps and seams.
Because it is a riveted vehicle the solution is to use some putty with acetone to preserve the surface detail.
If I can pull out a decent build with this one, I guess I'm more skilled than I thought.
Beware, the kit is cheap but there's a lot you have to do to make it decent.

Last edited by antoniop; 03-29-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Vbench

Good work Antonio. We've all seen kits like this. They can be very satisfying to build, but they are a lot of extra work.

Carry on

Scott Fraser
Canada
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-29-2009, 05:51 PM
vBench

Nice choice of subjects, Antonio. The extra work is evident, but I'm sure that it will certainly pay off in the end.

Talk to you soon,
Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-31-2009, 05:31 PM
vBench

During the week progress is slow but I managed to do something and to show you.
In the attempt of trying to "clean" the initial bad image about the kit here's a picture that shows that it has good details. The Fiat Ansaldo on the suspension arms hubs is one of those examples.
The grills on the engine are actually open and very delicate.
The things I had to fix were minor and the results are satisfactory. So much that I decided to order a ser of Friul tracks for it. If I'm willing to cash more on the tracks than I did on the kit... it must worth something

You can see that the suspension arms needed some filling and some tricky sanding but are quite good.

More on this build in a couple of days (I hope)
Old 03-31-2009, 06:12 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to the_dagger Send a message via MSN to the_dagger
I admire you patience with this kit. I've never been a fan of Italieri kits, so I don't really know what they are releasing. Is this a new kit? I saw this one at a hobby store (with interior?) and was quite tempted to get it and make it a german one.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
vBench

I believe it's a re-release under the Limited Edition "label".
That's probably why it suffers from these shortcomings. Some stuff from the older one was used for sure. At first glance it looks very good. Well, I use prescription glasses so that may be the explanation LOL

It's when you start to assemble it that the inconsistencies appear. But I guess it's manageable. The detail is a bit soft in places (stowage box lids for example) but good on others.

I wonder if the L6/40 released by Tamiya and based on this one is exactly the same model. If it is it will do damage to the untouched reputation of precise fit that Tamiya always had.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoniop View Post
I believe it's a re-release under the Limited Edition "label".
That's probably why it suffers from these shortcomings. Some stuff from the older one was used for sure. At first glance it looks very good. Well, I use prescription glasses so that may be the explanation LOL

It's when you start to assemble it that the inconsistencies appear. But I guess it's manageable. The detail is a bit soft in places (stowage box lids for example) but good on others.

I wonder if the L6/40 released by Tamiya and based on this one is exactly the same model. If it is it will do damage to the untouched reputation of precise fit that Tamiya always had.
The Tamiya version is a re-cast of the Italeri-some details are improved and I think some PE was added...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 AM
vBench

The Italeri Limited Edition also includes PE. The exhaust guard a a few more pieces.
I've been looking at the Tamiya Kit (photos) and it seems that they didn't do much on the Italeri base. On the Tamiya America page they say that the kit is by Italery. On the photo the rivets on the turret are missing. I'm afraid that it's exactly the same kit with a couple of extra figures.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:11 AM

Hi

Sorry to hear you've had some issues with the kit. Glenn Bartolotti did a build of this recently over on Track Link and he did have some issues with it but mainly on the track fit.

Of course you opting for the Fruils means you won't have the problem he encountered with the drive sprocket.

http://www.track-link.net/forum/mode...truction/12702

Tamiya for some time has in the Far East marketed Italeri kits under their own boxing, the Opel Blitz and the Horsch Saloon car to name two and I'd have thought if they were that bad they would not continue the relationship.

I personally like Italeri kits, but I'm acutely aware of some of their shortcomings but still think with a bit of skill, just as you are showing, you can get a nice looking result.

They also tend to do subjects not covered by other manufacturers which is nice, rather than chasing each others tails like many seem to do these days.

Alan

Last edited by alanmac; 04-02-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-02-2009, 09:26 AM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to panzerflix
Nice build, but bad news - I just thought that 2008 realised kit
be a weekend work as a build...

So cost of Model with friul tracks seems be close to
Victoria's resin one - maybe a better choice?

Anyway Thanks for sharing
for sure be helpfully in my build

Pawel
Reply With Quote top