Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 11-06-2008, 09:54 AM
vBench

First vBench : Pz II Ausf B "RA"

Hi guys.
My first post on this vBench. I am quite happy to be here along with such a bunch of great modellers.
Anyway here's my latest project.
A Panzer II Ausf B from D.A.K., in fact the regiment doctor's tank with the code "RA".Here it is :

It is a tank from the 5° Leichte Panzer Division, seen during the first weeks of the war in Lybia. In fact it was lost on April 14, 1941 and captured by the Brits.
I first bought the Dragon kit and then I saw my "RA" was in fact an Ausf B so I needed to buy the Tamiya kit, not only because of the smoke grenade launcher that was missing in the Dragon kit, but alos because I needed the optionnal vision blocks armour, typical of an Ausf B, that were in the Tamiya box.
According to T Jentz this is the only visible difference betwenn an Ausf B and an Ausf C. We've got to trust him, don't we ?

Beeing from the Panzer Regiment 5, formerly of the 3rd Panzer Division, this babe has a few typical features that needed to be reproduced.
As a matter of fact, every Pz II from Pz Rgt 5 was modified with an extra armour plate on the gun mantlet. Please note that only tanks from this Regiment were modified this way, in no case the Pz II from the pz Rgt 8 (15° Pz Div) were modified this way.
It also had the smoke grenade launcher on the rear that some of you may have heard of.
It was also painted dunkelgrau when it arrived in Tripoli and then only hastily painted with thin patches of Gelbbraun and this is what's exciting me. Not sure I'll be able to reproduce that I must say.

Here are the first pics of the model. It is already an Ausf B as you can see from the grey Tamiya vision blocks armour. The Ausf C also has four bolts around its vision blocks that need to be sanded. I still have to work on the added armor as it doesn't really look as it should, beeing a single piece of metal on the real tanks and it lacks the drilled hole for the gunsight.

All comments and advice most welcome.

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 11:44 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to Driver
Nice start my friend!

Although I don't understand why to take the ports from the Tamiya one; wouldn't it be better to build the Tamiya as the one of the photo? Or the difference is too much between the models?

Ruben

"A model is a terrible thing to waste!"
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 02:41 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver View Post
Nice start my friend!

Although I don't understand why to take the ports from the Tamiya one; wouldn't it be better to build the Tamiya as the one of the photo? Or the difference is too much between the models?

Ruben
well, the Tamiya kit is not "tropicalised" and only good for the French campaign, plus the turret is of an earlyier model ... but even after one used these parts one still can built a decent Ausf C with Tamiya San's kit so nothing is lost.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 03:31 PM
vBench

There is something very wrong here! Gibson \ Fender? You must choose, my friend!

Very interesting PzII you have chosen to build - this will be fun to follow.

Take care,

Rick
Gibson Explorer ('71)
Gibson Les Paul (80's)

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 03:40 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Cool, will have an eye on this one!
Great choice to depict a Doctor´s ride !
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 06:05 PM
vBench

The doctor rode in a tank? No wonder you guys like to model the gernam stuff so much, far more interesting subjects to work with.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 PM
vBench

Nice start... and take care on the DML's Fenders mistake
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 09:42 PM
vBench

Excellent start to your postings here at planetArmor- good to have someone with such a passion on board. I like this subject as you know, since I am doing a couple of DAK Panzer II's myself.
Look forward to the build and paint/weathering.
BTW I have posted a question for you in the research section about another potential DAK vehicle- this one a Panzer IA. Click on the pic below V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak View Post
if you mean the lack of a gap on the back left side between the fender and the hull- this is really a minor niggle- hard to see once the stowage is in place. If you use the Voyager fenders also this is cleared up nicely.

Oh and I guess we should change the name of the site to planet Panzer II?

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 11-06-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Vbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flak

if you mean the lack of a gap on the back left side between the fender and the hull- this is really a minor niggle- hard to see once the stowage is in place. If you use the Voyager fenders also this is cleared up nicely.
No, the right-hand rear fender (starboard) should not have treadplate.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
No, the right-hand rear fender (starboard) should not have treadplate.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Oh yeah right,
It still is pretty minor as I found most of the storage boxes covered that area anyways. It is a pretty easy fix in any case.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top