Old 04-12-2004, 11:08 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm changing gears here a little to build something different so I bought the RPM 1/35th scale kit to have some fun with.

Not having any references to go by, nor do I really want to amass any either but, I do have a question regarding the lights for this thing. I have poked around on the internet some but, haven't even been able to find the exact version (1914?) of the RPM model.

It has two headlights and obviously they are battery powered but, it also has four 'sub-lights' (for lack of a better term) and I'm wondering if there should be any wiring involved. The 'holders' make it look like they could be oil fired, but I don't know and I'm kind of curious actually.

Also, would the two 'sub-lights' in the rear have red lenses as in brake lights?

I guess that while I have your attention, I have one more question to ask... It appears that the box art is showing it in Polish service and I was wondering if any of the allies on the Western Front used this as well?

Hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction. I don't want to be too concerned with this model (the kit isn't all that great but, it is fun) but, I would like to be in the 'ballpark' with it anyway.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2004, 12:47 PM
Founder

for starters:

here's a site with replacement parts for the real thing:

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.asp?ZTM=...ique_Auto_Parts

google image search:

http://images.google.com/images?q=Ford%20M...F-8&sa=N&tab=wi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	post-14-1081792022.gif
Views:	493
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	2  
Old 04-12-2004, 03:15 PM

Cheers Gordy! Got some poking around in there.... thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2004, 03:22 PM
vBench

Kevin,

While not at all related to your current project I just wanted to I really dig your mortar collection, those are some really impressive pieces of work

Cheers,
Christopher
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-12-2004, 05:32 PM

Thank you Christopher! Feel free to help me out with mortars if you can!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-25-2004, 11:01 PM

Here is some good web sites that I've found or been told about
www.atfca.com
www.mtfca.com/books/ford_times.com

Heres a real good one for detailing chassis and wiring
www.tickintsofcentralohio.org

Do you know what year the "T" is?

If it has a brass radiator (has a square or strait edge look) it is pre 1917 and if its softer looking (sheet metal radiator cover) its later. Also to tell the year after that you need to look at the cowl were its tall or short. If its tall it's post WW1. As for wiring they are real simple. Early T's used a gas for lighting. They have a cylinder on the drivers or left side if right had drive. If I remember right there should be only one wire to the tail light for power. They grounded right to the body off the tail light housing (sorry its been about 10 years since I wired a T.) Other wiring would be from the coil box (mounted behind the firewall) to the spark plugs. Don't forget that T's have mechanical brakes so add the brake rods to the rear brakes and also the parking brake rods. Copper tube for fuel line from under the seat to carb. Spark control and carb control rods from the bottom of the steering colum.

I do have a 1917 T that my grandfather was restoring, running chassis - so I can take photos of it for you if it's the right year. let me know.

Good luck "T's" are fun

Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-28-2004, 01:44 PM

Jeff... thanks! I'll check those links out.

I do not know what year it is but I suspect that it is 1914. The RPM kit is pretty bad and I'm basically doing it OOB for a change of pace. Assembly was ok but things didn't line up properly when all was said and done. Builder error? Could be. Details are bare to say the least.

The reason that I think that the lights were/are gas is because the tail lights are both mounted high on the wooden (?) rear supports (one each) for the roof. Wires running up the supports? Wouldn't think so but, I don't know. Front 'running lights' look the same as the tail lights mounted on the firewall and there are two headlights that appear to be powered lights on the front fenders. Gas tank is under the bench type seat and as you're looking forward, the steering is on the right. Certainly looks like a brass radiator cover but the box art has this painted.

Box art also shows it in Polish service (I am assuming as it is a Polish kit) but, I have a WWI Brit figure to go along side of this. I have no idea of markings as there were no decals provided with kit.

If you have photos, they would certainly be appreciated however, I am planning on priming it this evening and like I've said, I'm not going to go too crazy with this one. Probably the second worse kit that I have ever attempted.

My brother's girlfriend's father restores old Model T vehicles as well. I have not been out to (Western Massachusetts) see them and no one over there has a computer/scanner/digital camera etc. They are about 2 hours away.

Thanks again for the links as well as your reply. I'll check those links out... maybe I'll find something in them before I start the painting process.

Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-07-2004, 09:46 PM

Just checking in. How did the painting go?

Jeff
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2004, 06:20 PM

Thanks Jeff... Chugging along slowly. I have got it painted a couple shades of green and starting to pick at the details. Hope to get a wash on it before the weekend is out. Some painting on the figure has been accomplished as well.

Been looking for some sort of a load to put in the back. Might make up a couple of boxes out of balsa with some tarpage thrown on. It has been slow, and this will be nothing to write home about. Was hoping for a quick build... well, the build was quick but, finihsing it up has been way off. Struggling with the hobby as of late.

(I think that it's the sudden no cigarettes clause and the under orders to cut back drastically on my beer intake that's killing me. :angry: )
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2004, 07:48 PM

Kevin,

Hear ya there. Remember one on the shelf equils ten in the box.

Jeff
Reply With Quote top