Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-17-2009, 11:10 AM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to Markus
Found a pretty interesting Video on Youtube.
While it says Kursk, itīs pretty mixed up, but shows some images from Kursk as well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfPknB5gRLo

Next I found some Wochenschau about Kursk on Youtube as well.
Better for you to turn off your PCs sound on the first two though .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDereOFqCwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqKnYyYCLYs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_t26XddPwMg
If thereīs one thing that scares me to death, then itīs the sound of those Stukas diving.
I hate it.

Last edited by Markus; 08-17-2009 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 01:15 PM
Ebbe Bergman

Send a message via MSN to Ebbe Bergman
First link you attached Markus was very interesting. Showing what I think was LSSAH Panzer IV G late tanks two of them. Think they might be the same that you might find in the book serie Waffen SS Kursk. Also it shows what I think are Wiking Panthers as well as Max Wünche shooting MG42 from his half track.

Like you wrote about the 3-4 Tigers you want to depict Iīm thinking of an TK or LAH Tiger during Charkov battle. You know worn winter camouflage along with muddy wheels like David Parkers Tiger 1.
What are your thought of the Tigers you want to depict besides the S33?
Regards
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 01:46 PM
vBench

Hey Ebbe,
yes, there are some quite interesting (and inspirational) vehicles in the videos.
I find the Charkow clips in the first one VERY interesting as they show some scenes I only know from pics. Somehow, seeing all these young guys going in fightings make me shiver.

I plan to build one of the LSSAH-Tigers during Kursk as I find the turret numbers quite interesting with their two big and two small digits. And no, it wonīt be Wittmanns ride, I leave this one to you .
The other one will, as far as I planned, tank 312 of s.Pz.Abt. 505 (I will use my DML late Tiger for this one). I like the scheme of brown stripes over dark yellow with the yellow band around the barrel with the numbers in it as well as the crossing beams on the side of the hull.
Then I still got on of DMLīs initial Tigers laying around here unbuilt (plus one built which will be a present for a friend). Not sure if I end up converting it to a Tunisia Tiger though (Jamesī Africa vehicles were just to inspirational ).
Lastly, I may build one of the Charkow Tigers as I got a bunch of figures suitable for Charkow.
You see, even though my interest in Tigers isnīt the biggest, I got more than enough plans to keep me busy for years .

Will take some pics of my build in a minute.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 02:20 PM
vBench

Alright, I progressed a bit with the build.
First of all, thanks a bunch to Stefan for his kick in my butt, telling me about me using shortcuts. I guess this was something I needed to hear as it gave me a bit to think. Thanks a lot Stefan, I really appreciate your honesty!

Well, like I said, Stefan gave me food for my thoughts and so I decided to NOT use shortcuts on this build. I went through my pics to find pics of the Y-shaped Feifelfilter piece and found one that enabled me to modify the Tamiya part. It seemed like the part sits on some kind of plate which helped me a lot, as it meant I wouldnīt need to remove the part before installing the part, refined with some of the clamps from the ABER set.
At the weekend I worked on the box for the track-tool, again using parts from the Über-Aber-set. What you see shining on the pics isnīt superglue, itīs just the shiny plastic as I used Tamiya extra thin to glue the PE in place.
Next I assembled one side of the fenders, again using the ABER set. As I feared I could knock them off during handling or transporting the kit, I glued the fenders on a Evergreen strip, using superglue (which also enabled me to glue the fenders on using ordinary plastic glue). As you can only see it when you look under them, I can live with it.
ABER gives you some PE-nuts for the fenders, but as I didnīt like to clean them up and as I prefer a bit more 3D, I used some 0,6mm Nuts from Masterclub (I really love their stuff).
One thing often overseen on Tiger I kits is the screws on the barrel. I added them using a syringe needle to make an impression on the barrel and a very fine juwelers screw driver for the slot.
Tomorrow Iīm going to call our Tamiya importer directly to ask them for the Rommelkiste-parts from Tamiyaīs Tunisia Tiger. Wish me luck.
Oh yes, I got a question:

I found the same pic in "Tiger at war" by Karlheinz Münch and Waldemar Trojca (couldnīt even remember I had this book ) and on a closer look it seems like the spare tracks are held in place by a steel rod, not with the strip as I depicted it. Any thoughts on this one?
Oh Stefan, when you look at this pic closely, you may see that S33 indeed didnīt have the loaders periscope.

One thing that I need to say is that I expected the build to be way more easy .

What do you think about the pics by the way? Do you like these ones better or the last ones? I used more light in the first ones but that seemed to wash out some of the details.

Last edited by Markus; 08-17-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Ebbe Bergman

Hi Marcus!
Ohh noo red crosses! Looked at some photos of sPzAbt 505 and came up with a posible setup for three figures if you are going to have it as a stand alone. Also I thought on the Charkov Tiger I just love the special headgear that can be seen here:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/Portals/0...-pocket-02.jpg
Used by both Luftwaffe, panzer crews and here on the picture, bikeriders.
I must remind you, despite the red crosses here, that the DAK Tiger storagebin is not still the wider storagebin used on the early, early Tigers like the 1313 from LAH or S13 just to mention examples. Best way I think must be to use metall or plastic card.
Please keep us updated with absence of the red crosses ;O)
Regards
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Ebbe Bergman

one more Marcus!
The sparetracks was held in place at the bottom with a metall pin as you wrote. The uper part held in place with the "locker" placed on the roof.
One thing that I donīt like with the early style Feifels are the absence of the circels on the top of each drum. One way might be to replicate this with paper, plastic or putty. I tried with putty but was not sucessfull, I will try with some Fimo instead.
Regards
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 11:09 PM
vBench

Looks great Markus, the screw heads on the barrel sleeve look terrific, so detailed.
The photos look better with your lighting change, a lot of the texture can be clearly seen now.
Thanks for taking the time to up-load the photos for us to enjoy .
regards Steve

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-17-2009, 11:28 PM
Ebbe Bergman

As Steve wrote I like the screwheads. How did you make them? I second the emotion that the lighting brought forward the details on the tiger. I see that you are intending to use some aftermarket on the hull deck =)
Are you going to add casting numbers to the armored coveres for the exausts?
Kindest regards
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2009, 01:14 AM
vBench

Ebbe, regarding "The sparetracks was held in place at the bottom with a metall pin as you wrote. The uper part held in place with the "locker" placed on the roof.", i really think that Markus meant the row of spare tracks attached to the front of the little kitty, not the track holders attached to the turret.

Markus, i do like the latter pictures much better, as i am able to see more details on them. You are right, using more light washes out some of the pretty details. Btw, you need to add holes for screws for the attachment of the Feifel's brackets (the four square blocks on top of the Tigers backend). As you removed Feifels and their respective brackets, you will be able to see the attachment points.

Question. when did DR receive S33?

Stefan
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 AM
Ebbe Bergman

Stefan: DR got the tiger from LAH in 27th July from Agteīs book. TIC2 back this up but with the date 28th July so it must be that 27th LAH crew went to Italy and next day the DR crew came to fetch the Tigers.
Regards
Ebbe

Reply With Quote top