Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 12-12-2010, 10:44 AM
vBench

And here is the culprit! I am mixing the thinner into a cup, and adding the oil to it and "stirring" until it is thoroughly mixed. However, it seems the oil likes to separate from the oil and I have to remix almost every time I want to get another brush stroke. Should I be mixing something else with it? Also, when I do a stroke for a pin wash it seems the "sediments" of the oil are all over the place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_018.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	3683   Click image for larger version

Name:	rsz_017.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	3684  

Last edited by hondatech2k2; 12-12-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2010, 01:16 AM
vBench

I'm with ya I hadn't built since 2000. Started back last Feb. Keep it up!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2010, 11:58 AM
My Car has Zimmerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatech2k2 View Post
And here is the culprit! I am mixing the thinner into a cup, and adding the oil to it and "stirring" until it is thoroughly mixed. However, it seems the oil likes to separate from the oil and I have to remix almost every time I want to get another brush stroke. Should I be mixing something else with it? Also, when I do a stroke for a pin wash it seems the "sediments" of the oil are all over the place.
I've been using the same oils and turpenoid and my experience has been exactly the same. One thing I've found is that the pinwash seems to go much better if you apply it during the application of the overall wash - that at least keeps it from leaching into the surrounding area (on flat finishes), but I have noticed how the pigment seems to precipitate into speckles rather than remaining uniform. I'm going to try using a bit less thinner and blending to control the color rather than relying on capillary action to keep the color around the details.

"The World has taken a turn for the surreal. . ."

vBench | Picasa Web Albums | AMPS Chicagoland
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM
My Car has Zimmerit

Now that I've looked at your pics I would say just make sure you have the entire surface wetted with thinner (to prevent uneven leaching) and I would also suggest using vertical strokes on the sides of the vehicle.

How hard are you brushing? Are you "gliding" it on? It looks like the turpenoid did a number on your camo, too. What type of paint was the base (sorry if I missed it)?

Actually, I think there are parts of this wash, particularly on the interior that look really good. . .

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2010, 05:05 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerjaeger View Post
Now that I've looked at your pics I would say just make sure you have the entire surface wetted with thinner (to prevent uneven leaching) and I would also suggest using vertical strokes on the sides of the vehicle.

How hard are you brushing? Are you "gliding" it on? It looks like the turpenoid did a number on your camo, too. What type of paint was the base (sorry if I missed it)?

Actually, I think there are parts of this wash, particularly on the interior that look really good. . .

Well, I didn't wet the surface at all. I usually do washes with acrylics and have never needed to, hence why I didn't. I was doing vertical strokes for the most part, with a few exceptions being the panel lines on outer armor. As far as the brushing goes; I was not brushing hard. Barely any pressure to "smooth" the wash about. But as far as the camo goes, its pretty screwed up. It WAS tamiya dark yellow... and now looks more like a lighter version of "khaki".

As far as the wash, I would agree with you overall. The interior didn't turn out to bad. There are a few mishaps that I did not like, but overall not bad. It's the exterior that has me grouchy! Going to try a few more things... maybe add a "medium" to the oil/turp mix. If anyone has any suggestions and have good experience with oils please post!!!! TBC!

Last edited by hondatech2k2; 12-13-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2010, 05:47 PM
My Car has Zimmerit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondatech2k2 View Post
Well, I didn't wet the surface at all. I usually do washes with acrylics and have never needed to, hence why I didn't. I was doing vertical strokes for the most part, with a few exceptions being the panel lines on outer armor. As far as the brushing goes; I was not brushing hard. Barely any pressure to "smooth" the wash about. But as far as the camo goes, its pretty screwed up. It WAS tamiya dark yellow... and now looks more like a lighter version of "khaki".

As far as the wash, I would agree with you overall. The interior didn't turn out to bad. There are a few mishaps that I did not like, but overall not bad. It's the exterior that has me grouchy! Going to try a few more things... maybe add a "medium" to the oil/turp mix. If anyone has any suggestions and have good experience with oils please post!!!! TBC!
Forgive me if you already know this, but another thing that is really popular -though I've never tried it - is to spray the entire model with Johnson's Future floor wax, which is an acrylic. I've just never been able to bring myself to apply a gloss to an entire model, but it supposedly "seals" the paint and protects it from washes and lets the wash flow around details without the leaching you get on flat finishes.

If the tone is too dark after your wash, you might consider starting with a lighter or brighter set of colors. I encountered the same thing with my King Tiger earlier in the year. I used normal colors, but when a dark brown (acrylic) wash was applied, the whole color scheme became too dark.

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/sh...?t=6770&page=4

With my Nashorn (still in the works), I lightened up the yellow with a buff/dunkelgelb mixture and used field gray for my green tone. When the oil wash was applied, the colors darkened to about where I wanted them.

This is a tricky process, no?

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2010, 06:10 PM
vBench

Yeah, it can be tedious. But you never learn unless you try! And yeah, I know about the future trick... I am like you though, cannot bring myself to do it. I do however, spray on a flat matte clear coating over the entire model after I am done with the base coat. The mess up on the left side is from my own stupidity... I had a slight defect on the surface and thought "gee, I'll get that off with some thinner!" NOOOOOO!!!! lol. Too late, paint job ruined. But like I said in the start of this thread this is to get me reacquainted with modeling. This is my first attempt with oils ever, so I expected errors. I have seen beautiful results with them and wanted to give it a shot. So, if I can master it the pain will be worth while. I have already started adding some white to the original base coat/camo in the attempts to brighten it a bit. Only time will tell though..
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-21-2010, 02:43 AM

some good options

These are some good options in the application of pin-washes abs such.
I will be taking notes here and thanks.

my twitter https://twitter.com/#!/alexwence
my 'Attention To Detail' blog: http://scratch-builder.blogspot.com/
Modelers Alliance 'Masters Classes':http://www.modelersalliance.com/forum/alex-de-leon
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-09-2011, 09:59 PM
vBench

Well, here is my first completed project in 2 years! I tried several different techniques to experiment with stains, spills, streaks, chips, wear, residue, bare metal, etc. There are some things that turned out well I think, and then others that I need to improve on! So, tell me what you liked.... and what you think could use some improvement... and as always, enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed 1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	3782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed 2.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	3783   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed 3.jpg
Views:	168