Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 PM

Panzer III Question

Hello all

I am building a Sturm-Infanteriegeschutz and would like to add the spare tracks to the front. I have seen them bowed out on the front of these and am wondering how they are attached. I have seen several photos with no clear attachment points. Any help would be appreciated. Happy Modeling Rob
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 AM
vBench

Hi.
As you can tell from this pic of a surviving Sturm Infanteriegeschütz, they're fixed as on every later version of the Pz III with a metal bar.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:24 AM
vBench

By pin in front towing cleavis

As mentioned most later Pz III type had the bar that held the spare tracks in. But the ones that are BOWED out, these were attached by means of a pin run through one of the holes of a track link while it was placed in the front hull towing points. Here is a couple of pics of actual tank.

http://www.militaryimages.net/photop...panzer_III.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...I(Afrika)2.jpg

Roy
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlichtr View Post
As mentioned most later Pz III type had the bar that held the spare tracks in. But the ones that are BOWED out, these were attached by means of a pin run through one of the holes of a track link while it was placed in the front hull towing points. Here is a couple of pics of actual tank.

http://www.militaryimages.net/photop...panzer_III.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...I(Afrika)2.jpg

Roy
Yes, very true but have you seen a Sturm Infanteriegeschütz with the "bowed out" track links ? The question was about Infanterie Geschütz, wasn't it ?
Sometimes I am not sure my english is good enuff ...
Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 PM
vBench

Hey Laurent, your English is just fine. Yes the question was about the Infantriegeschutz (I used the term "Pz. III type" to describe anything that was based on that vehicle to include Stugs and Inf.Geschutz vehicles) but he also said that he had seen pictures of them with the front spare tracks bowed out and wanted to know how they were attached. Thats it. You did notice I'm sure that I started my earlier response reinforcing what you posted about the bar strip on the front being used to hold spare track links. All is good.

Roy
Old 11-18-2010, 01:12 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlichtr View Post
Hey Laurent, your English is just fine. Yes the question was about the Infantriegeschutz (I used the term "Pz. III type" to describe anything that was based on that vehicle to include Stugs and Inf.Geschutz vehicles) but he also said that he had seen pictures of them with the front spare tracks bowed out and wanted to know how they were attached. Thats it. You did notice I'm sure that I started my earlier response reinforcing what you posted about the bar strip on the front being used to hold spare track links. All is good.

Roy
Yes I just mentionned "my english" as I wasn't quite sure about the meaning of "to bow out" in the first post, not about my understanding of your post which was just fine (your post that is) ... ouch this is becoming complicated.
Lol.