Old 06-27-2006, 09:49 AM
vBench

I have been looking at the American Beauty Resistance Soldering units, and I was wondering if anyone has experience with this technique?
Old 06-27-2006, 05:26 PM
vBench

American Beauty Website

Quote:
THE BASICS: WHAT IS RESISTANCE SOLDERING?

Resistance soldering is the name applied to a technique where the heat to melt solder (or strip wire) is instantaneously generated by passing a high amerage electrical current through a resistive material. There are three key components of resistance soldering:
A specialized step-down transformer that will generate the appropriate current
A resistive material to generate the heat
The ability to complete an electrical circuit

THE ADVANTAGES: WHY SHOULD I TRY RESISTANCE SOLDERING?
Heating is instantaneous and confined to solder connection. This helps the user to easily create a more professional solder joint.
Resistance soldering is many times faster than soldering with traditional irons.
Resistance soldering handpieces cool extremely fast, reducing risk of serious injury.
Resistance soldering electrodes and elements last 2-3 times longer than traditional soldering iron tips, greatly reducing replacement costs.
Resistance soldering systems are easily customized to particular applications, helping to achieve optimum soldeirng results with minimum effort and training.
Footswitch allows the ability to "cold fixture", creating a free hand for the operator.
Perfect for work in confined spaces.
Handpieces are considerably lighter than a soldering iron, thereby reducing operator fatigue.
More efficient use of electricity creates savings on power consumption costs.
Many difficult soldering applications, including heatsink problems, are best solved with the concentrated and controlled heat that resistance soldering systems provide.

I've never tried it as I've never heard of it, but I think I'll pass as only a few of the reasons make sense...I mean crap, I just use a little 40 watt iron, and that's all you really need (thanks James )and that's not going to add big bucks to the electical bill (there's probably would because a 'hobby system' from them is 100 watts) and I've never suffered from "Operator fatigue" (gimme a break, that's kind of lame! lol) And all that seems kind of expensive too...Their site has it so that you have to get a quote for a setup! That's what you do if you're buying a boat or a car or a house or whatever! That's crazy! It sounds like I'd have to make payments! (If I bought a setup from them, at least I'd get a good interest rate because at least I've built up a decent FICO score :lol: )

There are some rather 'light' oriented items in there, but that stuff seems slightly heavyduty in nature compared to what 'we' collectively do...most of their stuff seems to be right stuff to use if, for example, Aber was ever crazy enough to (hypothetically) make a massive p/e set to make a 1/1 scale model of a Panther tank...but that's just my translation of some of the stuff on that site...

RC
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 PM
vBench

What I liked about it was the free hands and concentrated heat, doing away with the heat sink. I asked for a quote and it was less than my Iwata and compressor combo, but no where near CHEAP!
Old 06-28-2006, 12:16 AM
vBench

John,

I was thinking of making my own resistance solder. There are some articles about it online. But somethiing was stoping me, don't know what.

Railroad guys should know more about it.
Reply With Quote top