Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-09-2009, 01:45 AM
This model kills fascists

Lastly, because the Faxon upper hull didn't mate well with the bottom hull, I added a strip of styrene. It's not a perfect fit now, but I've seen quite a few tanks that weren't perfectly mated. It's a lot better though.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2009, 01:48 AM

After I fix the front hull lid and latches. Next step, I think, will be to wash the parts with alcohol to try and get rid of any oils from my hands. Then priming. Then paint the tank. Finally, work on the tracks. I'd hoped to have this done by Thursday for my modeler group meeting, but I'm not sure I'll make it.

Last edited by armor fiend; 03-09-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2009, 10:56 AM

I can see people are reading this thread, but I'm awfully lonely being the only one commenting.

Anyway, I'm really disappointed in the HobbyBoss road wheels. If I had time, I'd get a set of resin wheels, but since I'm supposed to have this done tomorrow (fat chance).

More pics soon.

edit: more on the wheels. The mold for the wheels didn't align properly, so that each half is slightly off, resulting in a lop-sided wheel. One of the modelers at my local group had complained about how he had screwed up the wheels and couldn't get them straight. It's not his fault.

Last edited by armor fiend; 03-11-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2009, 01:01 PM
Vbench

I am watching, but I'm at a bit of a disadvantage. I don't know much about Shermans and even less about 1/48 scale tanks. I built an Aurora Sherman once . . .

But I do have a DML kit to build into an M4A2 someday, and that's a fabulous photo. It's the makings of an awesome diorama with an HB T-34-85, (mostly an OOB build). Build a shadow box and put a backdrop behind with the mountains, much as model railroaders do, mate it up with the photo, and you'll turn heads at any exhibition.

So, yes, I am watching you're progress. I do know a thing or two about resin, and you're doing excellent work. When done well, they're great, but when they don't fit (which is often) they're not easy.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2009, 02:07 PM

Well, I accidentally knocked a brush guard off and crushed it. That gave me an opportunity to fix it, rebend it, and try again. It worked. I popped out the hatch as well, shaved it a little, put in a piece of plasticard to hold it up. Then I put on the final piece of the latch.

I thought the front fenders were going to be a pain in the ass. I spent a lot of time trying to dry fit the damn things, but once I put a little CA glue on them, they fit like a dream and stuck perfectly.

Lastly, the bogies are now in place. At first, the holes for the wheels were too small, and I fought with the damn things to get them on. Then I though, drill the damn things out. Could have thought of that before I attached two bogies. Well, after drilling, they went on fine, and even turn. You can also see the side fenders.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2009, 08:47 PM

Great results so far Fein!!! Keep up the good work. Im building up courage to build my M4A1 76 mm with this thread.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Rojo View Post
Great results so far Fein!!! Keep up the good work. Im building up courage to build my M4A1 76 mm with this thread.
If I can do it, you can do it. This will be my second model to completion since I resumed the hobby after more than 30 years absence.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 PM

OK, I thought I was done with brass and adding anything to the model before painting, but I took another look at various photos of M4A2s and noticed that I needed some handles on the rear deck.

Before

After, because I was working with such tiny, flimsy pieces, it was difficult for me to get the handles that right length on either side. As you can see by the angles, I failed.

While working on the grill handles, I knocked off one of the brush guards on the rear lights. I decided to fix the lights and brush guards, since I found a pic on perth military models that showed how they should actually appear. The rear fenders are missing except for the braces. That's because they are missing in the photo I'm using as a guide.

NOW I am done . . . except for mating the top and bottom hulls. I think I will paint first, then glue the top and bottom halves. Not sure yet. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 04:23 AM

Well, I discovered I forgot to shake the can and mix the primer before I decanted it. :idiot: Also, an o-ring on my compressor broke.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 10:44 AM

Frak and double Frak! As we gathered to look at the Sherman club build last night, I was informed that the 1/48 Tamiya M10 has a M4A2 lower hull. Argh! I could totally kit-bashed this puppy!
Reply With Quote top