Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-15-2008, 02:10 AM
This model kills fascists

A couple of messy shots here.

I've added the Faxon rear to the bottom hull. I forgot to take a shot of it with the full sized piece, and I had to cut it down to fit, as the Faxon top hull is solid. It's just a tad loose on the sides and doesn't quite fit the bottom. NP, I'll just putty and sand.

Next, I decided to start on the turret. The turret is a the two full-hatched T-23, as can be seen in the pictures above. HobbyBoss did a poor job, as few of the main parts fit. Some had to be forced, others sanded and trimmed. The back part of the gun mount barely mates with the front. On one of the hatch covers, I had to cut off the bottom lips and then force the piece into it's spot. When done, there are noticeable gaps between the top and bottom of the turret. I need to fill and sand all that, then add a weld seem along the bottom. I need to find some Mr. Surfacer so I can make my turret look cast. What type should I use?

A dry fit for now.

Last edited by armor fiend; 09-12-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2008, 08:30 AM
vBench

Hi, I would use some putty (I have MrHobby at home) first for these gaps, and after sanding maybe some correction with MrSurfacer 500...
Btw, your puppies look nice - resin set painted by you?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2008, 03:40 PM

How can parts disappear on a tile floor in a 5' by 10' room!?! Argh! So far I've lost a loop for the turret (I made a brass wire replacement, you can see on top--this is better anyway, as the plastic one was too thin compared to all the photos I've seen). I also lost one of the parts for the back wall, the starboard side idler axle.

Anyway, some progress. I've puttied the gaps and sanded the edges. To get the cast texture, instead of buying Mr. Surfacer (for now) I did it the old-fashioned way: smeared glue on the turret and poked at it with a brush.

One thing I'd like to mention is that the port side pistol port is wrong. Placed according to the instructions, it's recessed from the turret wall, not proud like I see in all the pictures. I've sanded down the frame so at least they are flush now.

Last edited by armor fiend; 10-24-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2008, 04:13 PM

Not a great picture, but . . .

The Faxon resin rear plate doesn't match up with the hull, so I've added styrene strips and will be cutting them down to fit. In some places, there are gaps that will be needed to be filled with putty. I've already cut and sanded the port and startboard sides, so I could fit the other strips.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2008, 08:48 PM

I really hate PE for 1/48.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2008, 01:52 AM

The rear, not finished. Still needs the idler axles.

A decent shot of the turret, with texture and PE.

As you can see, dry fitted, the hubs sticks out from one of the wheels. I had to sand off the raised nub on the inside of the hub to make the wheels fit.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-08-2009, 08:48 PM

OKay, back to this project after several months playing Civ IV. I've finished the turret and upper hull of the tank, including detailing, except for the fenders and a couple of latches. I really, really hate brush guards at quarter scale. The bottom hull is almost done, but I lost one of the tow links. I still need to attach the bogies and wheels . . . after I paint. Lastly, I need to put together the tracks.

I just decanted some of my Floquil red oxide primer from a spray can, so I need to wait an hour or so before continuing. I'll try and post some pics in a bit.

Last edited by armor fiend; 03-09-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 AM

Let's start at the front. As you can see, I had a little trouble with the brush guards.

The Faxon lids didn't fit terribly well, and the one on the left side slide down into the well a little bit. I should pop that out and put a shim in there to keep it from sinking.

Close up right

Close up left. I lost the horn (popped out of my hand and down the drain) and I had to scratch build a new one, twice. Both times I dropped the scratch built one, but the second time I found the first one. I made it out of sprue tips and some clippings from the intake vent.

Last edited by armor fiend; 03-09-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2009, 01:34 AM

Now for the bogies.

Just a shot with the guides. For the most part those turned out okay. I lost a couple of the bolts, but I don't think anyone will notice.

I drilled holes into the front sides of the bogies. My understanding is that the Bogies had drill holes on each side, so that the rear arm could be attached to either side.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-09-2009, 01:42 AM

Some shots of the backside.

Here's the rear deck. I moved the crank to the left side, because I wanted to. Stuff get's moved around in real life, so no one should complain. Adding the clasps and belts was fun. I've corrected the bars on the back of the turret, but I think I still need to fix the left side.

On this image, I played with the levels so you can see the exhaust better. I previously had the mufflers up to high and upside down. This has been corrected with a better look at Toadman's pics. A fellow modeler gave me an extra rear axle. I had to grind them both down to fit. I need to add some putty.

Compare it to the previous attempt.

I did a little (very little) kit bashing here. The grill on the M4A3 faces outwards from underneath the rear plate of the tank and can easily be seen. On the M4A2, it's tucked up inside, so I cut it and sanded it to fit up underneath.

I still need to sand the tail flaps down shorter and rounder to match the tank I'm modeling.
Reply With Quote top