Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-15-2005, 05:13 PM
vBench

I decided that I wanted to build the beautiful Tamiya Type 90 while waiting for parts for my OIF HMMWV build. The project will consist of the Tamiya kit, Tamiya PE mesh, Eduard PE screens, and Eduard PE detail set. Unfortunately, as there are no AM choices for the tracks or gun barrel, I am stuck with the kit parts. The gun barrel is not much of an issue since I am making my Type 90 in a winter scheme in which the gun barrel and front of the turret are covered in a white sheet, but I really wish I didn't have to use the rubber band tracks provided with the kit.

Here is a picture of all of the components of the project:

For research material I am using the the book shown below and a couple of web-sites(http://tankguy.gooside.com/, http://www.military-powers.com/index.htm, and http://fortus.hp.infoseek.co.jp/tank/index.html):

Here are the first few steps completed:

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Guest_Scott

I wouldnt sweat the track issue...Tamiya's rubber band tracks are pretty good these days.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2005, 11:48 PM
vBench

Hey Adam. Long time no see. Great kit to build and it looks like you're off too a good start

Any of the Tamiya JGSDF Type 90 MBT kits are excellent, and are recommended to anyone who is interested in modern AFV's.

Good luck with your project, and be sure to post more pics as you proceed.

Cheers !

Alpen
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2005, 08:36 AM
vBench

Alpen,

Yeah Tamiya has always taken special care when doing JGSDF vehicles. All of their JGSDF kits are really nice (for their time). Sorry it has been so long since updating this, but the DML Panzer IV Ausf. E and life have sort of side-tracked me lately. I am in my final two Master's degree classes this semester and they have been piling on the work. My last final is December 15 and I hope to get back to the bench that following weekend. I hope to get a chance to further a number of my ongoing projects during this winter (OIF HMMWV, Panzer IV Ausf. E, & Type 90). I will definately post more as I can.

Here is where the Type 90 is right now. I have all of the handles removed from the entire kit, all of the hull handles replaced with brass rod, and all of the turret handles drilled out and ready for brass rod. I didn't bother filling the sponsons since nothing will be visible once the side skirts are on.

Adam
Reply With Quote top