Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix

Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix Collaborate on kit improvements

Old 01-06-2007, 07:44 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzergrenadier View Post
Look at this link, the forum there is in estonian so you probably will not understand the text but the pictures tell a lot too. It is another way of making rivets, nuts and bolts.

http://www.militaar.net/viewtopic.php?t=5261

Siim
Hi Siim,
I do understnad some of the words but not all You are right, pics tell almost everything needed.

Niko
Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
That’s a pretty useful link Siim!

Thanks for posting it. That is a simple way to make conical bolts. The hard part is to find a drill bit to make the conical indentations. In this case they filed one down. But I think we could use a simple drill bit, after all the tip is conical. I have to make some conical bolts for the turret of the Panzer IV, maybe I will try this method.

Ian,
I found this punch & die set that is really affordable. They also have the hexagonal die set. I think this is a good deal, since that’s about the cost of materials to build your own. They also sell a plate to make conical bolts.

http://www.michtoy.com/MTSCnewSite/s..._Building.html

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Thank you for this article. Nice idea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-15-2007, 07:50 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
Thanks for the link Dave, looks good. Sorry but I missed it when you posted it and only just seen the post. Prices do look good.
Where they say "round" punch set I assume that will produce a dome shape and not simply a round disk ?

I've been trying to buy locally some hex profile styrene rod to cut some bolt heads. Seems to be about as easy as finding hens teeth round here !

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 03:54 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by T140 View Post
Thanks for the link Dave, looks good. Sorry but I missed it when you posted it and only just seen the post. Prices do look good.
Where they say "round" punch set I assume that will produce a dome shape and not simply a round disk ?

Your welcome Ian.

Yes the prices are acceptable. And actually a round punch will make a flat round disc. For a dome shape you can get great results using the method Fletcher mentioned earlier on this thread.

I've been trying to buy locally some hex profile styrene rod to cut some bolt heads. Seems to be about as easy as finding hens teeth round here !
I get all my plastic at www.plastruct.com I have no hobby shops where I live so I have to order everything on line.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but I just got my account activated at work today.

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2007, 04:56 PM
vBench

Hello, Michtoys offers the Punch and Die set at 99.00 USD, not at 28 as it appears in their internet page. I mailed them in order to know as I was going to order one... in the end I will be buying them in Germany as Iwas going to.

Regards,

Antonio
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 11:52 AM
vBench

Antonio is right. I verified the price and it is in fact $99.00 instead of the $23.99 that is advertised at the webpage. I am trying to convince a friend of mine who has all the necessary tools to make one for me. Once I get it I will post pictures of it.

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2007, 12:29 PM
vBench

Anyone ever used this - the Nutter Set by the Small Shop

http://www.thesmallshopeu.com/Main/N...uttermain.html

I saw this in a LHS and it looks impressive. However, I do not know if it is worth the price.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2007, 11:57 AM
vBench

Lawrence,

Here is a review I found on “The Nutter”.

http://www.armorama.com/modules.php?...ontent&id=1199

The guy who wrote it seemed to be very exited about it. It does look impressive as the ability to reproduce identical parts is great. The only downsize I see is that it uses a special foil and this foil cost about £3.50 per sheet. And since its only practical if you are making a lot of bolts the price of keeping a constant supply of foil can get pretty high.
I think a punch and die set will give you comparable precision and you don’t need to keep a stock of special foil.

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-27-2007, 04:35 PM
vBench

Thanks David

I think I will stick to a punch and die set.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top