Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix

Tweak Guides - Tips & Trix Collaborate on kit improvements

Old 01-03-2007, 02:19 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Making Nuts & Bolts

Hello Everyone!

Thanks to Gordy for moving the threads to the Idea Factory section. Iím sure they will be more useful for everyone like this.

Part 2: Making Nuts & Bolts

In this thread I will discuss some methods of making your own nuts & bolts. This simple methods will save you time and frustration when scratch building or when adding those missing details to your kit.

All you really need is some round and hexagonal plastic rods of different sizes. These are available at hobby stores or online.

Simple Bolt Head

To make a simple bolt head just cut the hexagonal rod (Iím using a large size to illustrate it better). You can vary the thickness of the bolt by cutting thinner slices. This takes practice so donít get too frustrated.

Then glue it in place.

Nut & Bolt

To make the nut & bolt end just cut a hexagonal piece like before then cut a round rod the desired length.

After that, glue the hexagonal part first (the nut) then the round piece (the bolt).

Washer & Bolt

To make a washer & bolt combination simply do the same but now in reverse. First cut a thin disc out of round rod and glue it. This will be your washer so the thinner the better.

Then cut a hexagonal piece of slightly smaller diameter, and glue it on top of the washer.

If they donít look completely flat as sometimes is hard to cut at right angles wait until the glue dries and then you can file it or sand it flat.

Simple Flat Head Rivets

A simple way of making simple flat head rivets is using a leather puncher. This is a tool made for making holes in leather belts and stuff. You can buy it at craft stores and it works great on plastic.

First punch small discs using the smallest diameter available. The smallest I have seen is 2mm; this is rather big for most 1/35 vehicles, but it works good for structures or if you ever need a round disc this is an easy way to cut one.

Then glue the discs to represent a line of flat rivets.

That is all for this week. I hope these methods are helpful.

Model on!

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2007, 03:18 PM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
Nice one David, stuff like this is great for me. Keep it coming.
There's reference in a book I have to a punch and die set for domed rivet heads, and I wondered if you have used or would recomend one, if they can be obtained of course.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2007, 05:05 PM
vBench

Thanks Dave. Simple and beautifull. You are right, this takes practice. So far none of the small pieces I cut came out straight. I need more practice, a lot more practice....

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 PM
vBench

To make domed head rivets, you can hold the end of the rod to a candle to mushroom out the end. Then just slice it off and do it again.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by T140 View Post
Nice one David, stuff like this is great for me. Keep it coming.
There's reference in a book I have to a punch and die set for domed rivet heads, and I wondered if you have used or would recomend one, if they can be obtained of course.
Thanks Ian. Lest hope more people get motivated to contribute to the thread. I will be posting more as soon as I get the chance.
I actually donít own a punch set, but a friend of mine does. The greatest advantage I see is precision. If you need to make lots and lots of bolts and rivets and they will be close to each other then you want that kind of precision. The only drawback is that some of these sets are insanely expensive. I do have seen some that sell for around $25.00 however, but I am not sure as to how precise they would be. Anyways, making your own punch a die tool is not hard to do, and is fairly inexpensive.
Or, like Fletcher said using heat to make a dome is a simple and easy method you can try. (Thanks for that one Fletch! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balki View Post
Thanks Dave. Simple and beautifull. You are right, this takes practice. So far none of the small pieces I cut came out straight. I need more practice, a lot more practice....
Yeah, it is hard at first, but donít get discouraged. I get bolts that are crocked as a barrel of snakes all the time! Remember you can always file or sand the pieces once they are glued. There are some tools like ďthe chopperĒ that work great for this. If you can get one of those it is fairly easy to cut them straight.

SCOUTS OUT!

To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 AM
die Geisteskranker

Send a message via AIM to Totenhosen
Another method to make domed rivets is reverse-chuck a tiny drill bit or brass rod and punch them through a sheet of tin using a thick peice of rubber (like the sole of a shoe) as a backer. Works like a charm. Only downside is you have to dig the rivets out of the rubber with the tip of a scalpel blade. You could probably substitute a sheet of thin styrene for the tin and that should work just as well.

- Beetlejuice
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-04-2007, 11:34 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenhosen View Post
Another method to make domed rivets is reverse-chuck a tiny drill bit or brass rod and punch them through a sheet of tin using a thick peice of rubber (like the sole of a shoe) as a backer. Works like a charm. Only downside is you have to dig the rivets out of the rubber with the tip of a scalpel blade. You could probably substitute a sheet of thin styrene for the tin and that should work just as well.
Ken I have seen that method used, and it works. It is a good stop-gap. But on the long run I know one gets tired of digging bolts out of rubber.
But actually if you have access to a machine shop, or if you have a good drill press you can build your own punch & die tool really easy. If anybody is interested I am willing to show them how.

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2007, 02:12 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
Quote:
But actually if you have access to a machine shop, or if you have a good drill press you can build your own punch & die tool really easy. If anybody is interested I am willing to show them how.
Please do Dave. My number 2 son works in an engineering shop, so I could ask him to have a go for me.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 PM
vBench

Thatís great Ian!
I am going to make some drawings and I will get them to you as soon as I can. Maybe it may be helpful to make a thread on this since it is better to illustrate that way.

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-06-2007, 06:27 AM
vBench

Look at this link, the forum there is in estonian so you probably will not understand the text but the pictures tell a lot too. It is another way of making rivets, nuts and bolts.

http://www.militaar.net/viewtopic.php?t=5261

Siim

Reply With Quote top