Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 05-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Polish Armor Fan

"Big thing" - 25 TP medium tank

What is to be, will be ...

Finally I decided to make this model but I know that it is all fighting a loosing battle. My earlier scrath projects, like as PZInż 202, where I got only 3 photos (lucky me!) now look like children's puzzle.
To make this scratch model (none exist I think) I need to make measurements and gain small number of existing docs and articles related to this tank (there wasn`t even any prototype or industrial model of this tank ). I guess that vast majority of documents disappeared during the war. It`s normal when talking about Polish pre-war equipment…

Small intro:

After 1935 polish army started to seriously reorganize it`s structures by putting new kinds of modern and technologically advanced equipment into operation. Modernization of armor forces and mechanization of whole army were one of the crucial elements of passed plan. Although still main types of polish forces were infantry and cavalry (year by year better equipped with effective antitank and antiaircraft weapons) armor forces started to develop very quickly to come up with growing military potential of enemies – III Reich and Soviet Union.

Polish military think-tanks rightly noticed urgent need of medium (heavy?) tank which could support existing recon tanks (TK-3, TKS,) and light tanks (Vickers E, 7TP) and create new quality within Polish armor forces.
Soviet army was perceived as more serious enemy than III Third Reich, that`s why Polish medium tank program was based on soviet experiences (T 28, T35) and customized to realities of possible war in the east.

There has been few projects, but the most well known and possible to exist (somewhere in mid 40`s?) was this project made by KSUS (Weapon and Equipment Committee):

Length: 7300 mm
Height: 2600 mm
Width: 200 0mm
Weight: 23-25 t
Crew: 6 people
Weapon: 1 x 75 mm canon (temporarily Schneider model 1897)
Drive: 2x 500 hp engines
Speed (planed):
- Road 45 km/h
- Terrain 25 km/h

and the best pics-comparison of 25TP tank/ TKS recon tank (tanketee) I know, made by “Krzyhal” from one of Polish forums:

Painful preparations and answering questions with no 100% convincing answer already started  Hopefully some parts of 7TP tank looks similar and I`ll use them after necessary “facelifting”

Strange thing is, that tracks are quite narrow - only +/0 30 cm (1:1). It means same as in Vickers/7TP, light tanks family … Looks like our engineers took to optimistic view when planning this tank. Well, experience comes same as love, after some time
Seriously speaking I really doubt in those speed 945/25 km/h). Right now I`m making “mother-wheels” ( those bigger ones) to copy. I need 32 of them so it will take some time.

Wish me luck !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	25tpsmall.jpg
Views:	4353
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	3186  
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2010, 02:45 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
Powodzenie Jendrass!

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 AM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to mpm1972
Perfectly! I will observe with interest, I love projects.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM
vBench

Very interesting...I'll follow....and good luck...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2010, 06:27 AM
Polish Armor Fan

I made a main body of tank, which rather looks like severe kayak or german mini Uboot Lenght of this vechicle is more than enigmatic.
Wheels are "in progress" but making 32 same round elements will take a while. I gues that the should be installed in "twin" carts - 4 doubled carts per each side = 16 x 2.

I think that there is a big resemblance between 25TP, Russian T28 (T35 is to big) and German NbFZ (not sure where the propulsion wheel was?).

Small comparision with 9TP-D (chassis similar to T26)
So guys, does length really make difference ?!

When talking about Polish prototypes there is always question about method of linking the armor sheets - welding or screw connections. Welding seems to be more accurate.

Last edited by Jendrass; 05-15-2010 at 03:02 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2010, 02:29 PM
Polish Armor Fan

Small progres with the turret

It was diffucult to make such a turret from scratch but result is better than I expected. Still there are some deficiencies but the most annoying part is finished.
I`ve been thinking about main armament. Pre-war drawings show that the 75mm canon is Schneider mk 1897 but some time ago I`ve made Polish AA gun 75mm (quite uniqe stuff).
Unfortunately the AA gun is far too long to place it into the turret. I need to install this dumpy schneider.

Many questions related to turret "infrastructure" appeared - backsight, ventilators, scopes ... I need to take it all in a pinch of salt.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2010, 03:40 PM
Polish Armor Fan

It all looks like quarry work and amount of time needed is more than hard to forsee..

Turret update & first wheels tranche

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-02-2010, 06:18 AM
vBench

You are THE crazy of the month with this integral scratch building!!!
the french dream:
yes,..week-end!

my blog:
http://panzer-werkstatt.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Polish Armor Fan

The more time I spent making this model, the more I need some medicine Very harsh suspension wheel prototype, ver 1.0

It`s possible that after finishing this tank You may find me in mental hospital
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Brokeneagle

Scratchamania - good luck. You have both courage and skill.