Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > Your important news and kit reviews.

Your important news and kit reviews. Share & Promote ARMOR and other model news. All Kit reviews are welcome here.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:43 AM
vBench

Damn - its been awhile since I updated- not because I've not been fortunate enough to be able to buy new stuff-just I'm lazy.
Anyways one thing I will mention is the new Modeler's Guide to Jagdpanzer being put out by Military Miniatures in Review.
Got my copy yesterday and after flipping thru it last night before falling asleep - I'd say I'm pretty happy with it. I have to run right now (to the beach-it's finally hot and sunny! and will be perusing this book more closely- I will have further details later.It looks good though- if a bit in the upper medium range...

edit:
well - I'm back from the beach and I'm a little more red and a little more well read.
After now having a closer look at this publication I give it a B grade
This book concerns closed top Panzerjäger and starts with the small Hetzer and goes through to the heavy weight Jadgtiger. ( Hetzer, Jagdpanzer IV, Ferdinand/Elephant, Jadgpanther, Jadgtiger).
The cover says part 1 so maybe the open toped variety will be addressed later.
One of the first thing that stood out for me was the choice of author/model builder. (Jim Hesley) While I don't know this guy or any of his work, (did a Google search-didn't see anything) he seems not to be someone who normally builds Deutsche 2 WeltKrieg Panzers, (he basically says so himself) and to me, this presents a problem. I would have hoped for someone more well versed in the subject matter to have taken this on. Still the guys work is okay and the writing and models are okay but are not of a quality much above a B grade (just my opinion), consistent with the fact that this stuff may be new to him. Not of the expertise of someone more familiar with the subject like say Tom Cockle.?
One problem I had with the writing however was the person seemed to have the slight bias of an Allied builder and had the irritating habit of translating German terms into American. I prefer the original language. Abteilung does not mean battalion.
There are useful charts showing the changes of the various incarnation of each vehicle and their deployment. There is a Readers Digest sort of historical summary provided for each tank, as well as photos , some of which have been seen before some not. There are no drawings showing details ala the Achtung Panzer series of books. Another point that may bother some is that there is no coverage of the smaller brother scale, 1/72. With all the recent releases in this branch of the hobby this is a problematic oversight in my opinion.
Another drawback is the author's choice in after-market items, such as tracks. Friulmodel are the only ones explored, no WWII Productions resin track or Model Kasten or others for that matter. The main supply of barrels come from Jordio Rubio, no Aber or any one else. Cavelier is the main after-market Zimmerite used, (except for the totally useless Eduard photo etch stuff which was put on the Elephant build, (YUK!) Another technique not addressed was soldering these Aber pe parts together.

Still all in all the book does have many good points about it, even if the builds are at the level of say, Finescale Modeller magazine. The author has chosen also to portray the models as very newly deployed to the battlefield so some aspects of a more advanced finishing technique, that would be required for an older, more battle weary AFV, are not addressed.
I would recommend it but is is far from being the Alpha & Omega reference for Jagdpanzern. My intention is not to be harsh but to be as objective as possible, based on my experience. There is some useful information here.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-26-2005, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the review. Its very informative and handy to have a review by an accomplished and experienced modeler rather than have to rely on the marketing blurbs from distributors, retailers, and product sponsored reviewers.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 02:28 PM
vBench

Excellent! You just saved my 25 bucks James as I only wanted this if it was a la their guide to the Tiger.

If I ever make it north, I will buy you a beer for your troubles.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2005, 10:08 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuke Sowle@May 29 2005, 01:28 PM
Excellent! You just saved my 25 bucks James as I only wanted this if it was a la their guide to the Tiger.

If I ever make it north, I will buy you a beer for your troubles.
well Stuke- maybe take a look at one in person before you totally decide- you may like it?

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-04-2005, 10:19 PM
vBench

Panzerfaust. Is this book as lame as you say it is ? Sounds like Ampersand rushed it to their printer and put out a luke-warm product ? A big let-down next to Ampersands/MMiR's Guide to the Tiger Tank.

I was looking forward to this book, but now I wonder if its even worth stocking it. Funny, its been out for a week or so, and I have had no (as in zero) requests for it. Pale response compared to the MMiR Tiger book. Makes me reconsider placing a big order for this MMiR Jagdpanzer Guide.

Makes one wonder how good the MMIR Guide to the Sturmgeschutz will be ?

Oh well. you can't win em all

Cheers !

Robert
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-05-2005, 12:06 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpenflage@Jun 4 2005, 09:19 PM
Panzerfaust. Is this book as lame as you say it is ? Sounds like Ampersand rushed it to their printer and put out a luke-warm product ?

Cheers !

Robert
Well there goes any chance of my work gracing the pages of MMIR :lol:
It's not that it's lame- I didn't say that , it is just a B grade. It is not totally lame but I would say new to intermediate modellers are the ones that will benifit most from this book. It does have a lot of info in one package- it's just for someone with more experience they may find some of the models and the approach somewhat lacking. I suggest you get a few in (3?) and see how the go.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 07:27 PM
vBench

James. I didn't intend to put your review of the MMiR Guide to the Jagdpanzer down. I was simply reacting to your comments. Personally, I have not seen the book myself, so maybe I pre-judged it a bit. Sorry if it seemed abbrasive.

I will just have to get a copy and find out for myself

Still, I trust your judgement, because I have seem some of your work here in the Vbench, and have admired it. Your modelling skills are "light years" past mine, but I always look at your work, and others like you, to learn how to improve my own skills.

I really wonder how this book will compare to the MMiR Tiger Guide.

Time to order my copy of MMiR's Jagdpanzer Guide

Cheers !!

Robert
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2005, 09:01 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally posted by Alpenflage@Jun 6 2005, 06:27 PM
James. I didn't intend to put your review of the MMiR Guide to the Jagdpanzer down.
I just wanted to be clear that I thought it was okay but not great, and the word lame was not one I used. But not a big deal.
Take a look and let us know your opinion.

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 01:22 AM
vBench

Interesting review James and as I value your opinion on what is worth looking at and whats not , I`ll take it on board when having a flick thru this title. I`ve only recently picked up the Tiger book for my Dragon Tiger and was totally impressed but the amount of technical and modelling information in it and it was well worth the money. I was hoping this would be along the same lines as I`ve aquired a JagdPanther as well now but maybe I`ll stick to normal reference sources now
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Tankshack

Hey guys...
First off... James, thanks for the fair and honest assessment of the book... I have the book and would give it about the same sort of rating, A-/B+ in my opinion.... I thought that the projects presented in the book were interesting and certainly accomplished the goal of demonstrating some of what can be done with some Jagdpanzer kits. Your assessment of Jim not being a Panzer experten.. is true, but the models in the book are executed at a level that many aspire to achieve but few actually do.. so, I would say that overall the models are better than some... not as good as others.

Since your googling turned up nothing on Jim and his modeling... Here's what I know about the author... First, he's a first rate guy that has always proved himself to be an excellent resource for information about specific vehicles and modeling techniques. Jim has also been contributing to MMiR for YEARS... he was also involved with the Tiger I book including doing construction and writing at least some of the text. Jim routinely provides research and photos to the excellent series of books published by Ampersand, Allied & Axis. His work has also appeared in the Trojca books on Japanese tanks. He was also the webmaster of a large website run for the Washington Armor Club for a number of years; however, he has since closed the site.

Later,
Tim
Reply With Quote top