Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM
panamadan

Impressive to watch! Love the Dragon IV series.
Dan
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 11:03 AM
vBench

Very nice work on the etch and Zimmerit.

Tim
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2010, 11:54 AM
This model kills fascists

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadperkins View Post
i assume you mean the parts at the front of the springs, i havn't put those on yet. just got bored with the running gear and left it but i'll get back to it and sand all the wheels, etc..... so you're saying the idlers are too far in towards the hull? i hadn't heard that but i'll have to check it out.
Not the idlers, but the return wheels on the top. When it was pointed out to me, it was obvios, though it may be a bit harder to see with the fenders on.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 03:40 AM
vBench

Awesome work! Makes me want to learn how to solder PE, can't wait for the next installment.

Cheers
Anthony
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
thx for the comments guys, i'll get an update up tonight or tomorrow as to my current progress.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 09:05 AM
vBench

Cool stuff Chad, ostketten, zimmerit and all that detailing. Pleasure to watch.

Radek
Old 09-20-2010, 01:31 PM
vBench

Send a message via Skype™ to mpm1972
Beautiful and high-grade work. Onboard screens on the left board should be rumpled, damaged...
Old 09-20-2010, 07:42 PM
vBench

if you're referring to the shurtzen plates..... i am still thinking on that topic. however, , i don't have a whole lot of references where these are actually damaged. they are designed to hang there and i assume this was done at least partially for that very reason. if they hit the ground they would just fold back or even come off instead of bending and then tearning up the brackets. didn't always work out that way but the plates usually are in pretty good shape. anyone have any opinions on that topic. they had so much give in the way they were mounted, they stayed pretty straight from what i can gather.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 09:08 PM
vBench

as promised, here's my update. first, i wanted to show the modified track pins that were suggested by one of the posters. super close up pic so it's not crystal clear but should show the piece fairly well. i just cut off the existing pin and added the small tab shown in the previous pics in this thread. was easy enough to make but really fiddly to get glued on straight.

worked on the right hull side fittings and shurtzen railings and have gotten that pretty well wrapped up and the bracket that goes over the filter was included in the griffon set even though the update set is not made for an "early" H .

having to use references on this more than most to figure out all this stuff since the directions from both kits are wrong in their own way for this particular vehicle.......

the jack is from the H kit, the antenna stowage from the G kit and again, Griffon makes a lot of optional parts with this pe set due to the variation in production vehicles so i had the shurtzen brackets that i needed for this vehicle. only thing i was missing so far was the brackets for the antenna stowage which i made from brass scrap.

the shovel location is correct the best i can figure even though it looks kinda odd back there at an angle.

i have put on a couple of the chains using 40 link/inch chain which is the smallest you can get. i'm not sure if i'm liking it or not so i'd love to get your guys thoughts. it's slighly overscalled but it's much more realistic looking than the flat pe chains. which do you guys think is the best option? i usually use the PE chains but i saw the builds in Tom's book and he and the other guy use these chains. again, overscale but they have a more "chain like" appearance. let me know your opinions....... i'll make some closer pics of the chains later so you can really see them. they look larger in the pics than they actually are from the shadows. whatever i choose will be most prominent on the front towing shackles. maybe i'll put one on and let you guys see it in comparison to the pe one.

fiddled with the towing cable from aber but this thing is really stiff! i've annealed it on the stove to a bright red heat but it's still stiff as a board. not sure i'll ever get it to look right. may have to use something else. planning to wrap one around the rods on the rear and maybe run another one up the hull side from the rear hitch to the front towing shackle.

so anyway, she's symetrical now for the most part with most of the hull work done.

i still have to build the shurtzen plates/brackets for this side then i'm going to work on the front and rear sections of the hull. as i said in earlier posts, the vehicles in this unit had lots of track armor so i'm going to armor her up pretty well and have to "weld" on some hooks/hangers here and there for that. hopefully i can button this hull up soon and get some completed pics with the running gear, tracks and shurtzen mounted up. as always, love to hear your thoughts, good and bad and by all means, if i've made a mistake don't hesitate to point it out. if you wait until it's painted, i don't want to hear about it
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2010, 11:22 PM
vBench

Thank You Chad for very through build story. i have Pz IV H waiting in my box pile and when i start it, this topic will be definetly one i will study closely again
Reply With Quote top