Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-14-2010, 08:14 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
from what i have seen, it would be much more likely for a G to have a mid/later style break (i have a few pics of this configuration) than for an H to have an earlier one (i don't have any pics of that style on an H) That said, i won't go so far as to say that it didnt' happen. if there is one thing i've learned is that almost anything is possible.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadperkins View Post
from what i have seen, it would be much more likely for a G to have a mid/later style break (i have a few pics of this configuration) than for an H to have an earlier one (i don't have any pics of that style on an H) That said, i won't go so far as to say that it didnt' happen. if there is one thing i've learned is that almost anything is possible.
same thing here. Some pics do seem to show this kind of brake but the Ausfürung seems hard to tell ... or the muzzle brake is not clear.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:16 AM
vBench

Thanks guys, I want to build a Panzer IV from the Kursk era someday, I have the tamiya early H kit, but as far as I know it could work fine as a late G, with some minor modifications, am I right?

Rad
Old 10-14-2010, 11:38 AM
vBench

Hello,

the muzzlebrake which Radek shows is called Zweikammer-Eichelform (something like twochamber-acornform).
This muzzlebrake is typical for Pz IV Gs. But they can also be found on some of the first Pz IV Hs.

Regards,

Notger
DML Jagdpanzer IV L/70(A)

Historyfacts
Pz.Kpfw. IV
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
vBench

Thanks Notger, that's what I wanted to bu sure of

Radek
Old 10-14-2010, 11:55 AM
vBench

I'd be tempted to opt for the Dragon Kursk F2/G due to the much improved surface detail over the Tamiya offering but if you want to tackle it, you could make it work with some alterations though it won't be all that easy. there is a back-date set that tiger models used to make, there's a review of it here.

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.co.../tmd352033.htm

you could try that or do all of that yourself but by then you may as well of just gotten the Dragon kit IMO...... a lot would depend on the vehicle you're building as there are numerous variations in the G to H period but any way you slice it, it will require some work.... even with that update, would probably still have to scratch some stuff. I have a lot of mixed up spares now from this one if you need anything particular. ie: the final drive housings turret parts for the correct roof, etc.. i'd never find a frankenstein version where i could make use of all this stuff.....
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek Pituch View Post
Thanks guys, I want to build a Panzer IV from the Kursk era someday, I have the tamiya early H kit, but as far as I know it could work fine as a late G, with some minor modifications, am I right?

Rad
Not exactly ... although it depends on what you call "minor modifications".
Is modifying the turret roof or the transmission "minor" ?
There was an excellent kit by Tiger models that allowed these transformations but I'm not sure if it's still available.
Old 10-15-2010, 05:58 AM
vBench

There was a discussion over on a polish forum and the conclusions were that some late Gs had thicer roof, is that true?
And for example, what version is this (it looks like it has the muzzle brake of my interest):

http://jtrowbridge5.smugmug.com/Bund...97703496_GFhSE

Radek
Old 10-15-2010, 06:50 AM
vBench

Hi Radeck,

The photo in your link is an very, very early Ausf. H.
And yes, the already during the Ausf. G production the thicker turret roof was mounted.

Regards,

Notger
DML Jagdpanzer IV L/70(A)

Historyfacts
Pz.Kpfw. IV
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2010, 07:56 PM
vBench

went to the ipms show for middle tennessee and got back to work with this when i got home. been a long build so i thought best to brush it down with thinner first to get all the little dust specks off and laid down a coat of tamiya primer on everything to see how she looked. everything held up pretty well under paint which is a relief, it's always nerve racking to spray on the primer coat and see some terrible blob of glue or some gap you didn't notice before. the zimmerit was another thing i had some reservations about just because of the pattern but it looks the part imo and is as close to scale as i could get it. that said, i do have a couple areas on the turret that are going to require a bit of attention before i can start with the real paint. there something on the top of one of the turret shurtzen brackerts, maybe some stray flux or something i'm not sure but i'll sand that smooth and then i've got a spot of zimmerit that i want to touch up before respraying some primer on those parts. nothing major so i'm pretty happy at this point.

not sure about this black background..... have to wait until i have some color on this model to see how it really looks, too much like black and white at this point to know if i like it or not........

i picked up a new compressor at the ipms show and now my hose doesn't fit so i had to order an adapter for that. hopefully next weekend i'll have everything fixed on the model and have my airbrush up and running to spray some color on this thing. btw, i picked up a 1st in german ww2 armor and a
3rd in softskin
Reply With Quote top