Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-07-2007, 07:42 AM
vBench

37mm Pak 35/36 auf Infanterie Schlepper UE 630(f)

well on the exhibition last weekend i bought this interesting looking vehicle and thought it was a quick afternoon fun build. quick yes - fun not!

here are the photos of the sprues and the instructions - please excuse the miserable quality but this matches the overall poor quality of that kit:

the sprue of the pak:

sprue A (2x):

one of these sprues missed the back fender ... can be seen on the right lower corner of the sprue

sprue B:

instructions page 1 with decals:

instructions page 2:

instructions page 3:

instructions page 4:

... then the drama begun ... i started the build of the pak. the instructions are not that precise as i would have wished and the vague paintings let me more than one time guess where to glue a part ... most embarrassing part was the aiming device which in no position fitted the shield opening so i ended up glueing it somehow paying attention on the alignment with the shield opening:

then the suspension and hull followed - loads of ko pin marks, sink holes and bad fitting parts ... the bogeys nearly killed my nerves as nothing fitted there:

a dry test fit of the gun showed me that it was impossible to mount the gun properly as the location hole is too much in forward position so i had to cut the gun elevation mechanism ... this was the first moment close to lose my temper where i took a deep breath and thought about giving this kit some flying lessons ...

... time for a cigarette break and some heavy swearings ...

after the break i returned to my workbench, trying hard to show some sportsmanship and finished the glueing job on that vehicle in a run ... and after glueing the box in place at the back of the vehicle i realized that now the gun would have absolutely no chance any more to be mounted and additionally i saw some kind of pivot beneath the gun in the profile painting on page one of the instructions but there was no such part on the sprues - this was the second moment of temptation to throw the kit on the wall - i had to improvise a pivot and this is the come out:

the track segments weren't fun at all to cut out and to glue in place as they

a) broke into pieces when cutting from the sprue although new blade in my x-acto
b) did not fit the drive sprocket at all
c) did not fit properly anywhere

today - after some sleep - i was calm enough again to start the paint job and gave it two thin layers of tamiya primer:

right now the black color coating is drying and after drying out i will start to give the model some layers of different shades of grey ...

cheers,

laura

Last edited by Kreighshoer; 03-07-2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: some text corrections
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 07:56 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
Well worth persevering Laura, it looks like a great little vehicle. What make of kit is it ?

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 09:19 AM
vBench

Laura

That's a very quick build How is the detail of the kit?

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 AM
vBench

Poor Laura. I knew this model because I was making Renault UE with trailer, made by the same company. I get sick when I was trying to stick together tracks and suspension, but rest was quite OK.
I like the shape of this small machine. Your model looks sweet.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 10:23 AM
vBench

Way to persevere. It looks good from here!

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by T140 View Post
What make of kit is it ?
ian ... if you are asking for the manufacturer - it's RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lquah View Post
That's a very quick build How is the detail of the kit?
lawrence ... all in all about three hours ... not a miracle with so few parts *GG*

i'd give the kit a detail range from poor up to a better old italeri kit ... the suspension is good for the trashbin, so is the gun but the hull looks good so far (without any reference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarny View Post
I get sick when I was trying to stick together tracks and suspension, but rest was quite OK.
I like the shape of this small machine. Your model looks sweet.
marcin ... the shape i like too ... the kit's quality not at all ... maybe i got a bad molding - whatever! ... uhoh ... yes - the suspension and the tracks in particular i learned to hate ->

small update: after the black layer has dried i just airbrushed the first layer of grey ... the color is still wet ... the handrail on the gun will be reglued after all the painting procedure ...

cheers,

laura
Old 03-07-2007, 10:32 AM
die Geisteskranker

Send a message via AIM to Totenhosen
I had the same problems with an RPM Lorraine I built a few years ago. I think RPM kits are, hands down, the absolute worst model kits in history ever produced. I think the worst part is the track links crumbling into peices when you try and remove them from the sprues. So frustrating! Congrats on getting it built.

- Beetlejuice
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 10:42 AM
vBench

rick and ken - thanxalot for your kind words ...

right now i got a feeling of being quite satisfied in winning over this kit ... having a cigarette, a bottle of good u-boot beer in front of me, good and heavy industrial music and looking forward to the soccer festival real madrid vs bayern munich this evening the world looks okay to me again ...

... maybe i will brush the second layer of grey on that little vehicle later on ... right now it's beer time

cheers,

laura

Last edited by Kreighshoer; 03-07-2007 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typing errors - doh!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 11:27 AM
vBench

Send a message via MSN to T140
So you are interested in armor, make scale models, like beer, like football, and like good music !!!!!
This has to be a wind up, such a woman can not possibly exisit in the real world

Looking good with the paint on, nice job with what sounds like a nightmare kit.

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by T140 View Post
So you are interested in armor, make scale models, like beer, like football, and like good music !!!!!
This has to be a wind up, such a woman can not possibly exisit in the real world
<OT>

absolutely possible:

- beer topic: i live in bavaria! beer is staple food in bavaria
- football/soccer topic: i don't like it but i like CL battles between giants and look forward to see the madrilenes cry their eyes out
- industrial music: we got a quite big goth community over here and i am by far not the only female-electrohead ... i don't want to make you faint but within the electro scene over here it is most fashionable to wear uniforms and a lot of girls envy me my black panzer uniform
- scale modelling armor topic: all the girls and boys in the scene i show my models start drooling and tell me that they would like to enter this hobby but don't dare because of the high prices and fear of messing models up ...
- me devoted to scale modelling topic: i studied history and am specialized on weapons history and the propaganda of joseph goebbels and i love to revive history as precisely as possible ... and i am totally insane in my brain

anybody who wants to check out if i am a real person is invited to have a look at my accounts at gothic-chat and Black Bavaria (same nick there in both communities - the chatmaster of GC - Neo - is my best friend and himself into scale modelling ... but he prefers ships)

</OT>

Last edited by Kreighshoer; 03-07-2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: forgot something
Reply With Quote top