Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 08-15-2015, 06:32 PM
vBench

I haven't logged into this site in well over a year. This isn't the only site that seems to be taking a dump. Missing-Lynx is really dead and another I used to go to is gone all together. I don't have a facebook page but if that is where everyone is going then I may have to get one.

Roy
Old 08-25-2015, 05:12 PM
vBench

That's what I've had to do. I have found some ok group's on FB, but I still prefer a forum format like this. In a social media setting everything is jumbled and mixed together. Not my cup of tea
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-25-2015, 05:31 PM
vBench

We've got three members online at the same time right now, we only need two more to make a crew.

Tony lee
Old 09-05-2015, 07:32 PM
vBench

You know we have 200+or- guest on the site just about 24/7. They never
post anything they're working on or make comments or even ask a question if they need help.

I'm beginning to feel like a monkey in a zoo with humans passing by with bags of monkey chow who never share.

Come on folks we won't bite.
Tony lee
Old 09-25-2015, 10:30 PM
vBench

I've noticed that too Mutt, the high guest count. Are they just browsing threads? Why don't they join? The monkey in the zoo analogy is perfect....
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2015, 10:36 AM
vBench

Never realized there was that many bashful people in the hobby

Tony lee
Old 10-02-2015, 06:06 AM
vBench

No kidding. Wish they weren't so....it's the interaction I miss on this site
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-05-2016, 02:43 PM
Publisher -KitMaker Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumpo View Post
It's because they post more on facebook .
Which is really a crying shame for the hobby. I am not saying Facebook isn't useful for connecting with friends and family, but as a online resource it is just about useless. I challenge anyone to search Google for "How to Airbrush Camo patterns" and get ANY results from Facebook. It's just not their thing. Facebook is like the daily newspaper. Worse it's like a daily newspaper that is never archived and put online for people to search.

People will hopefully wake up one day and realize that Facebook and Twitter are not all they are cracked up to be, but until that day happens sites like PA and Armorama will still be around to share photos, news, ideas, and questions.

As someone who has been online since 1992 and seen a lot of long-lasting fads, trust me Facebook won't be the end-all, be-all of the Internet in 5-10 years. My daughter for example at 15 thinks FB is stupid.

Now... about Planet Armor. As many of you know Alex had been doing a great job keeping the site primed and posted many threads of his own projects, etc. Of course Alex is not purely an Armor/AFV guy so it stands to reason he is not as active here as in the past. It was his energy and that of many of you guys that kept the site fresh. We still have people posting blogs and news and of that I am grateful, but without leadership no site grows. It's sort of like a garden. You need to tend it.

So... we need some new moderators or content editors who really want to see this community grow and continue to provide an alternative to other sites out there. This site still gets about 10k unique visitors per month. As you may note that is down from the 18k number I used in that right side ad I put up after taking over the site. So yeah we have taken a hit user wise. Still... 10k is a lot of folks and a lot of potential. Most new sites would kill for 2k.

If you are interested in being a pro-active moderator or someone who edits or adds new content to the site, contact me.

Thanks,
Jim
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2016, 08:25 AM

Not sure if it only affects me but my work internet filter blocks Planet Armor. I think it was classified as "Weapons". I do a lot of model picture posting and watching at work and this site is blocked which has kept me from really getting involved. I do still come every once in a while to check the work out though when I am at home. Maybe have an admin check somehow to see if the site is being blocked by the internet filters that companies use. I am sure I am not alone in checking the sites while at work.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:27 PM
vBench

I'm not a computer geek but I know a lot of people that say their work place blocks sites from them.

Tony lee