Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > planetArmor General

planetArmor General General and Off Topic

Old 03-12-2009, 12:53 PM
vBench

Armor modeling vs. Casual modeling

I've observed over the past that armor modelers are often the most intense when it comes to historical accuracy and detail. This isn't always a bad thing, and the point of this post isn't to condemn or support the rivet counters. What I'm curious about is to know if anybody here ever builds a model just for fun? Some OOB, no frills classic Tamiya kit, warts and all? And if not, then where do other casual armor modelers hang out? Is there even such a beast? I for one have noticed that when I build aircraft I can let a lot of things go, but I tend to get a little more pedantic about my tanks.

I've heard a few folks refering to a "Spanish School" and I wonder if that's what those folks are about?

Just causal observation/commentary on my part. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 03:37 PM
vBench

Hi Firefly, I'd say there are 2 types of modelers and they are builders and painters.
Builders go after a topic.
Painters are after a "look" or "effect".
I loved the "Spanish School" in the old days when they graced us with their techniques.
BTW check out this master of the black art @ http://www.network54.com/Forum/11074...rk+in+progress.

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .

Last edited by Coops; 03-13-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 05:53 PM
vBench

yes yes yes where has the fun of it gone now it seames to be annother job, to get it just right or u fail. hey i have subjects to build with the best intentions of photo brass references in action pics and tec manuals but i also have subjects in my collection that are out of the box builds and some what ifs.Forinstance that nice dragon kit first gen kv1 or the super trumpeter 39 [h] france that will stand on their own merrit as out of the box art project for my own entertainment ment to impress only me.Some projects will allways hold more importance to the individual through personal interst experties and familliarity or from a colletors standpiont or even weight of historic signifigance but in the end we must remember So many good subjects so little time fun time that is.

Last edited by majorchuck; 03-12-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 08:49 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyRK View Post
I What I'm curious about is to know if anybody here ever builds a model just for fun? Some OOB, no frills classic Tamiya kit, warts and all?
Have you seen my latest?
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5925

it's pretty much OOTB- While not a Tamiya it still fits perfectly together. There are things that could be tweaked but I'm pretty happy with what's there. I will most likely do one later with any aftermarket items that show up.

Also this one
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5806

It has some issues as well but I' just built it up with only a few upgrades. The side boxes, while on Hilary Doyle's drawings apparently are not supposed to be there. Oh well- Maybe somewhere down the line I'll do one again that portrays that detail. This one still is not done but it is close.

And another built mainly from the box with a few added scrath built upgrades such as storage boxes
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5270

This one is pretty close but also needs a few more things done to it to call it finished.

Here is another one mainly OOTB.
It is pretty much there but not quite.
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4189

Oh and here is a Tamiya one- their recent Panzer II- again nearly at the point where I can call it done but still need to do a few tweaks. I have another of these in the wings and with that one I will be using some fender and other PE upgrades from Voyager that I just received from Rainbow 10 yesterday.
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5730

Also this one is pretty much OOTB with only some old Aber Fenders to give it some umf! with the damage and wot not. It has been stuck because of the schvwartzen hangers but I have something for that and hope to complete this at some point this year.
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5269

And this one- OOTB
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4491

And this one
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1230

And this one
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3529

So there you have it - the answer is yes some people do build OOTB and are perfectly happy doing so.
What about you?... have you any pics of OOTB builds? Is this the direction you want to follow?

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 03-12-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 PM
vBench

Nice OOB builds James!

That is the direction I'd like this thread to follow. Almost all of my builds are OOB or very nearly so.

Here we go

Italeri 1/72

Dragon 1/35

Tamiya 1/35

Dragon 1:35 (OOB with sticks from the park)

Trumpeter 1:35

Mirage 1:72

Dragon 1:72

Dragon 1:35

Dragon 1:72 w a few resin bits

Dragon 1:72

Tamiya 1:48

Lets see some more OOB kits guys.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 AM
vBench

Here are my few OOB
Italeri Autoblinda

Dragon Panzer III j - not finished yet

this is the model with most aftermarket in my stash- Tamiya King tiger

Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 04:50 AM
vBench

Have you gone down this thread yet? I've got so much enjoyment out of his hard work and research.

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/sh...4705#post74705

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 06:03 AM
vBench

Nice stuff Ralph, particularly I like the Panzer IA

I like the Tiger II, Ivan, (and the others as well)

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP

Last edited by James Tainton; 03-13-2009 at 06:08 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 06:33 AM
Vbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Hi Firefly, I'd say there are 2 types of modelers and they are builders and painters.
Builders go after a topic.
Painters are after a "look" or "effect".
I loved the "Spanish School" in the old days when they graced us with their techniques.
BTW check out this master of the black art @ http://www.network54.com/Forum/11074...k+in+progress.
Don't quite know if I agree, Coops. I think you're on the right track.

I see two problems. First is 'competitive modelling'. In my humble opinion, the correct response to: "Hah! My barrel is longer than your barrel!" is "so what."

Second, and here you've nailed it, is when accuracy for the sake of accuracy becomes the most important thing in modelling. Every model has to more extreme than the last one. every last thread on every last screw. It becomes impossible, humanly impossible, for everone at some point or another. And nothing but frustration.

When the first interacts with the second, the nitwits swarm. Then you have the pompous 28 year old telling the fifteen year old that his model sucks because there should only be one star on the wing.

I chose my name, greybeard, dliberately. My first IPMS meeting was forty years ago this September. I have some experience with nitwits.

Some very simple rules for "organized modelling".

1.) No alcohol. It makes stupid people stoopit and the kids can't join in. I know it hurts, guys, but those are both compelling reasons.

1.) You are free to talk about how you built your model. If someone asks you, you are expected to answer.

2.) Criticism of another person's model is rude, if not solicited by that person. Favourable comment is allowed, of course.

3.) All arguments are to be settled finally after fifteen seconds by coin toss. Appeals can be heard at the next gathering, with evidence.

4.) This is the best model here because it's my model. That one's the best model here because it's your model. Every model here is someone's best model, or whoever built it would not have brought it. Respect that.

Those are very simple, and will keep things friendly. Contests have to be handled very carefully, and I do not participate. My own opinion is that they be limited to modellers sixteen and younger, and that adults bring their best to share, not brag about.

This is become too long, so I will leave talk of club politics for another day. LOL!

Cheers
Scott Fraser

Last edited by greybeard; 03-13-2009 at 06:35 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-13-2009, 07:15 AM
Vbench

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireflyRK View Post
I've observed over the past that armor modelers are often the most intense when it comes to historical accuracy and detail.
That is absolutely not so. Aircraft modellers have been decades ahead of armour modellers since the days of William Green's "Warplanes of the Third Reich", forty-plus years ago. Research into specific (individual) aircraft, camouflage, markings, pilot biographys, to the extreme. On my shelf, I have books with the individual careers of every Spitfire, Me-262 and B-24 ever made, and that's by accident in books I've collected over the years. Also every individual German, Soviet, or US aircraft in the Spanish Civil War --- for the Legion Condor: who flew it, what number it was, when it was shot down and in some cases by whom.

Train modellers were decades ahead of everyone for a very long time, but tank modelling has caught up now in many respects. For decades it's been possible to open a Walther's catalogue and find everything you could possibly need, you'd think. (It's even worse now.) The aftermarket began in model railroading.

It's much better now. There's an extroardinary variety of stuff available to tank modellers. Even so, I have yet to see injection moulding in a tank model that comes close to some of the extreme pieces from Faller or Atlas model. DML don't push the envelope to anywhere near the same degree as a high-end RTR locomotive.

But tank modelling is modelling is most definitely up to date today. There is a fabulous wealth of products compared to a decade ago, much more information and much better attention to accuracy and completeness, but it's simply impossible to detail vehicles the same way as has been done with aircraft. There were never the same records kept.

Quote:
I've heard a few folks refering to a "Spanish School" and I wonder if that's what those folks are about?
Just causal observation/commentary on my part. Thoughts?
I don't know from Spanish. I do know that it's a hobby. A human being can only do so much before his eyes are too weak and his fingers too fat to accurately model a can of beans.

Every model is a compromise. If my can of beans is 1/16 scale, the bar code is going to be a challenge. If it's HO scale, I'm in trouble. My can isn't going to be accurate, unless I resort to some ultra-high-resolution printing technology that's going to cost money. For a can of beans.

It's a model. It's never going to be accurate. Best outcome is that it's cool, and from (so many) feet away it looks like what it's supposed to. I build it until I'm pleased with it, and then I'm pleased and it's done. Time for another.

I no longer lie awake at night wondering about that can of beans. I certainly did, at one time. I am happy to do what I can to get it to look convincing to my eye, and that's enough. I still don't buld very fast, because I keep getting tempted into new projects.

It's my hobby. I am the only one who has any say in what it is or isn't supposed to be.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Reply With Quote top