Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 07-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Who say what now?

So imagine my surprise when I spotted this at Imperial Hobbies today... I wasn't even aware it was out yet.

The box is sturdy, corrugated cardboard, and is also packed with a separate compartment for the hull tub, turret, and vinyl tracks (vinyl... ecccch...) I find it a little ironic that you get a full-colour marking and painting guide considering green is pretty much the only colour the tank came in.

Now as incredible as this sounds, trumpeter have gone and made the armoured vehicle world's equivalent of a Costco store (i.e., a big stupid box) look sexy. Dig the turret:

The hull sides are separate parts you glue to the hull tub. I expect anyone who's ever tried to work with the old Tamiya kit and replace the fenders will find this of interest:

The sprue with the hull details features louvre detail underneath the air intakes. The fenders are very nicely detailed and while there has been some comment as to whether they're the correct width, they are 1mm narrower than the old Tamiya fenders:

A closeup of the two different types of screens you get:

In addition to the vinyl tracks (vinyl... ecccch...) you get styrene link & length tracks, with pre-moulded sag for the top run (although I'll probably still use aftermarket tracks anyway):

The turret details sprue - I tried getting some better closeups but they didn't quite work out. There is an attempt to capture the slight depressions in the sides of the trunnion covers, and the cutaways in the recuperator housing for the bolts are present. The recuperator housing is also way more accurate in shape than the old Tamiya part, and it also features weld seam detail on all sides.

I've already started glueing together some of the larger assemblies and the kit's a real pleasure to work with. Some gaps in places, yes. Detail-wise this kit in every way compares favourably to anything Dragon/DML have produced recently, and if it were not for some minor engineering letdowns Trumpeter might even have lapped their Hong Kong counterparts with this kit.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:19 PM
panamadan

Darren, any knock-out marks on the tracks? I've read that WWII Production's tracks fir perfectly. Dan :lol:
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 AM
Who say what now?

Hi Dan,

Well, the bad news is that the tracks are full of knockout pin marks... the good news, though, is that they're the raised kind.

Darren
Old 07-25-2005, 11:47 AM
vBench

Hmmm, looks like the ol' Tamiya kit is going to my little brother as a bday present.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 07:05 PM
vBench

About the turret; yeah turret is a box. But man I seen this tank in life, F it's big!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2005, 07:11 PM
panamadan

Guys-there are quite a few photos of KV-I's and II's in "Armor Battles on the Eastern Front", published by Concord.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Who say what now?

Just a quick update - been doing some glueing over the past couple days. I'll have some more photos on the weekend.

Darren
Old 07-29-2005, 07:54 AM
panamadan

Just got the KV-I "Simplified Turret" yesterday. Parts in it to make a KV-8 if desired. :lol:
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Who say what now?

Ok, actually I didn't do a whole lot of work on the kit this weekend, it being August bank holiday and all... but I did replace the solid exhaust screen provided in the kit with some PE and add some PE bolts to the bottom of the curved plate (the kit part does have them moulded on, but the detail is pretty indistinct - the black lines are locating marks).

Plus, I picked up the Aber barrel (which has some nice rifling) and a set of Friul tracks.

Darren
Old 08-02-2005, 10:37 PM
panamadan

Darren, what size square mesh did you use? Dan
Reply With Quote top