Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Reference

Reference Share what you have

Old 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Question Achtung Pz. #7 (Pz1 & 2) worth my $$?

I guess it's a moot point since I already ordered it. I'm just itchy 'cause it's on backorder. I'm planning to do a couple of early II's using the Alan/Dragon Pz. II C. + the recent IIF.
I'm not sure yet which versions I want to model. Actually I'm still trying to identify the detail differences between the -a,b,c; and A,B,C,&F.

Any help is appreciated,
Keith
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-08-2008, 09:57 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
It is, but the plans and information in the Panzer Tracts series is not only far superior (scale plans and a time-line for changes) but accurate as well! I say this since the Achtung Panzer series has great sketches, very good captions on archival photos, and load of contemporary photos of museum pieces (so no money lost). Just don't consider the plans in it to be as accurate or in depth as those in the PT series. They include plans for many of the items at a larger scale.

If museum photo coverage is not enough, there is also the Model Art book on the Panzer II. I bought the combo (Dragon kit and book) and must say the book is well done - just that the plans are the same inaccurate ones as the Achtung Panzer book.

Regards,

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2008, 12:47 AM
vBench

I agree with Saul, the PT books have superior drawing but I like the sketches in the AP books as they use them to point out differences and changes made to the different variants. It definately is not a waste of money. As for the Alan kit, it is actually more of an Ausf A than a Ausf c (not C) with the drivers visor being the key. Not all A - C had the welded front bow plates some still retained the rounded bow.

Roy
Old 02-09-2008, 08:45 AM

Saul & Roy,
Thanks for the advice. I admit I went for the Achtung Panzer out of familiarity. I have two or three other AP titles and have found them to be useful and entertaining. The large format and clear line drawings give them a certain eye-candy factor. For now I may pick up the Panzer Tracts also.

……….10 min. later. Ok, I just looked up the model art book and darn it, it does look pretty sweet too. I keep telling my wife you can never have too many references.

Keith
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-09-2008, 10:02 AM
vBench

I have the whole series and I couldnt do without them.

Just want the same for Stuart, Shermans and T-34s.

Cheers

"Bet Kinder bet, morgen kommt der Schwede.
Der Schwede der kommt mit dem morgenstern,
Er frist die kleine Kinder gern."
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Backorder Hell!!

Well I ordered AP#7 from Mission Models on Feb.8. I called to check the wait time and was told "Around ten days. It's on a boat from Japan." Ten days later I called and was told "In a couple of weeks." Today, a month after the original order I called and was told "Probably two weeks or so." Again reference to a trans-Pacific boat. I even considered cancelling the order and called RZM to check their stock. They told me "The book is out of stock but"; slow deep breaths, go to my happy place; "it should be in by the end of March BECAUSE IT'S COMING BY AIR." ON WHAT? A FREAKING BALLOON? What year is this 1900?

Join me in a howl of indignation. ARRRGGGGG!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-07-2008, 04:44 PM
vBench

Keith, try Rich or Joy at R&J Enterprises. They carry the line and may have it in stock. They are also great to deal with.

http://www.rjproducts.com/

Roy
Old 03-08-2008, 12:33 AM

www.hlj.com
i always order books from them. saves a lot.
Reply With Quote top