Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 08-09-2010, 09:05 PM
vBench

Nice strat... it is an interesting project
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-09-2010, 11:00 PM
vBench

...excelent thread...following with atention...thanks!

Luiz.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
Nice project.......and good start!

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2010, 12:01 PM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to chadperkins
The zimmerit has killed my progress...... My putty(s) and other "stuff" is set to arive from Japan on monday so I'll make some more progress soon..... I've just been cutting out parts and cleaning them up and removing details to make way for PE replacements for the last several days. Certainly not the fun part but I won't have to deal with it when I start building it again. I'll be certain to give you guys an update after I get the zimmerit going.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2010, 10:09 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadperkins View Post
Next, I thought I'd try out a trick that I learned from Paul Garrity for the exhaust. I rolled some thin brass plate cut to the proper width and diameter and soldered it together. Proceeded to chop up the kit exhaust to remove the brackets and shortened the ends slightly to make the overall width the same as it would have been put together as per the kit instructions. I then sanded down the main kit exhaust section's ends so that I could fit them inside me new cylinder to give me something to glue the ends onto for added strength. I then just sanded around the joint to smooth it out and proceeded to beat it up a bit. The straps that hold it on with conveniently cover the joints between the parts. Great idea which I'll take no credit for but which turned out pretty good imo.

That looks like something I did on my stalled Brummbar build from a couple of years ago
http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/sh...?t=5269&page=4

Hope your Zimmerite goes well.

Quote:
I wanted to try something different on the exhaust muffler, as many photos I have seen of late show this part dented and bash. So to do this I thought I would drill out the plastic muffler and then thin the walls so I could gently push in some evidence of combat/bad driving.

After many hours I got it to where liked it, including adding a tiny top tube that was drilled out Evergreen rod I tried bending the fly wing thin plastic. Well let me just say it was not that successful.

I took a look at one of the Moskit exhausts I have for Panzer IVs but it was only suitable for the early version, based on a Panzer E chassis. So back to the drawin board I decided to try using some metal from a ex chicken pot pie container. I measured and cut a strip and rolled it up to try and solder it. That was a waste of time because the metal was an aluminum alloy of some sort.

But then it came into my brain that I do have some very thin brass and that solders up nice and so I went ahead and made my first scratched up muffler.

Added some strips and some of those dents and a few bullet holes

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2010, 11:14 AM
vBench

similar approach and result. either way you go i think it's an improvement over the kit part. more than one way to skin a cat as they say..... i remember that build, what ever happened to it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2010, 11:32 AM
vBench

Just waiting for some PE was the start of the stop, and now, just finding the time and motivation to put the lower side panel armour on.Then it'll be done and ready for painting.

BTW is there any of Paul's work online, I'd like to check it out.

Click for ARMOUR WORKSHOP
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2010, 08:59 PM
vBench

Ok guys, finally got in my putties so I could pick this up again and have gotten a bit of progress done over the last few days. I went over all of the welded joints on the turret with masking tape and tamiya gray putty to eleminate the small gaps that are present after gluing the parts together. They fit great but there is still the smallest of gaps that need attention. After that........... Zimmerit was the order of the day............ Started with the turret front plate the rake and here are the results.......

After that I worked on the front of the hull.... First step was to check my seams on the sides with some mr. surfacer and then i worked on the spare track rack and access hatches and then on the the zimmerit. I actually chose to shave off some of the raised details on the transmission cover to make the zimmerit go better and then added it back in after. Not really necessary but it did make things a little less stressful. Could have just left it off alltogether since I'm going to load up on spare track links but whatever.

Next up was the upper hull front plate which has the unique herring-bone pattern as seen on several of the 4th panzer division early H's. I may go back and touch up a bit around the ball mg but I may just leave it alone as with zimmerit, mistakes = character

A few shots of the parts stuck together for effect....

I havn't done the rear yet as I'm still trying to figure how what parts I need to remove for the pe fenders to work correctly. Running gear is also in flux. I want to make it workable but the Tristar parts that I have are not exactly a perfect fit for this kit. The wheels are too narrow as everyone knows but the dragon ones don't fit quite right so I'm contemplating a way to mate the two to make something acceptable. Might do a base after this is done so that's why I'd like it workable "just in case." Well, that's all I got for now, hopefully I'll have another update soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-20-2010, 06:52 PM
vBench

Very nice work on the zimm Chad, very "in scale" .

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2010, 01:40 PM

those zimm looks awesome!!

could you describe more in detail how you made them?
Reply With Quote top