Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > Your important news and kit reviews.

Your important news and kit reviews. Share & Promote ARMOR and other model news. All Kit reviews are welcome here.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:36 AM
vBench

Send a message via AIM to the_dagger Send a message via MSN to the_dagger
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibsonfndr View Post
?????
Excuse me but where do you see an insigna ?
To left corner almost. Looks like a red shield, but I guess my eyes was just fooling me! Sorry!
Old 07-09-2009, 10:11 AM
vBench

News about this bugger ...
As people complain (so to speak) about the mantlet claiming they "think" it can't be MIAG. ...
Of course as already said, no one is 100% certain the gun mantlet is original but when the Sd.Kfz. foundation received the StuG, the barrel was stucked to the mantlet, because of the rust and having stayed 50 years underwater but also the gun itself was bolted to the hull and almost impossible to separate from the hull. It then seem most unlikely that it'd been swapped when taken out of the sea because if such was the case it would'nt have been so difficult to remove to the point that the guys thought for a while that they wouldn't be able to do it.
Not a proof, per se, but evidence for sure.
Now that's the best information I copuld get from the people involved.
It's a miracle already I could get the Fgst. Nr, thanks to H.L. Doyle and M. Gibb.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
It's a miracle already I could get the Fgst. Nr, thanks to H.L. Doyle and M. Gibb.
Why is that such a miracle? That shouldn't be such a big secret...

Greetings from one that still think that this StuG left the factory with the welded mantlet...

Webmaster for http://www.andreaslarka.net
(Überbesserwisser and official StuG-police!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 01:32 PM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Larka View Post
Why is that such a miracle? That shouldn't be such a big secret...
Andreas.
As I hear it there is such a competition between these collector guys that they are often reluctant to give informations about the vehicles they own and they are trying to restore.
Just in case the competitors would beat them on the line finding THE spare part they need.
Or so I've been told.
I sometimes do have access to informations but it's limited so for a couple of days I thought we'd never get the Fgst Nr.
As I already wrote, this gun mantlet issue can be debated but it is a shame that it's the only topic people do talk about instead of clapping hands because of the "as close to perfect as possible" restoration work.
Do you know that these guys spent big $$$ to be able to reproduce real Zimmerit ?
This means finding rare components nowadays unavailable ( one reason is because they are now "forbidden" ). The best they could do was to make 75 Kg of real Zimmerit when 100Kg was needed so the "wrong" 25 Kgs are hidden.
Remember what they did with the Jagdpanther !
What did people say ?
" oh ! my ! the colors are wrong !"
Why ?
Just because they "think" the colors are wrong.
They don't give a rat's ass about the fact that M. Gibb had a hard time trying to get real fabric for the ammo bags ...
None of these guys have ever seen a real Jagdpanther but nonetheless they still have an opinion about how a Jagdpanther should look like.

Or this new "chipped Zimmerit" fashion we see ... how many modellers actually saw real chipped Zimmerit ? I did. Who else did ?
Still have to post some pics by the way but you know what I mean don't you ?

Please Andreas, do not take my post as an offense because I am not "shooting at" you. I know you and I respect your work. It's just that I'm disappointed. Or should I say "fed up". Among the people who answered my posts about this StuG on ML, you're about the only one who's got "ammunitions" to debate ...
So here's my word : The informations I do have about this StuG are first hand. I was having dinner yesterday with H. L. Doyle and talked to Th. Jentz on the phone the day before.
Excuse me if I do trust them 100%.
so I'll try it agin : "as far as we know it's original".
I hear that if someone's able to prove M. Gibb it is not original, he's got spare gun mantlet and will change it in a minute.

Can't we just say "thank you" ?

Last edited by gibsonfndr; 07-09-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 PM
vBench

Laurent.
Thanks for keeping us all up to date on this topic and without you I'd be none the wiser .

With regards to the restoration/replication could the crew at Bov not have fabricated the correct mantlet for the StuG? That would have kept the heat off with such a glaring feature. A bit like a Tiger I with a Panther mantlet. An extreme example no doubt .

In the end it's better to see this than have it rot away under a river somewhere so hats off to the Bov crew for all the hard work (BTW I've never seen a kit that couldn't do with corrections to it either ).

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2009, 12:48 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post

With regards to the restoration/replication could the crew at Bov not have fabricated the correct mantlet for the StuG?
They didn't make it.
That's how it came, with the Saukopf on and as I tried to explain, even if people think a MIAG StuG can't be seen with a Saukopfblende, it is very unlikely that this one has been changed. Not impossible, just unlikely.

Has anyone heard of stuG IV with the welded mantlet ?
People would asy no but there's evidence that some existed. I guess it's exactly the same problem here.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Please Andreas, do not take my post as an offense because I am not "shooting at" you. I know you and I respect your work.
No problems, and thank you for your nice words. And yes, the restored StuG is "pretty as a baby pig" (a Finnish expression, means something very positive...) it's just the mantlet that causes all this nonsense we see on these forums.

I have just moved so I still have my StuG-references packed in one of them 39 brown cardboard boxes thats all over my new flat for the moment...
Therefore I can't check right now where the StuG IV's were manufactured (or assembled actually), but if my memory serves me it was by Krupp and not MIAG (and hence no square mantlets).

Webmaster for http://www.andreaslarka.net
(Überbesserwisser and official StuG-police!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-11-2009, 01:24 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Larka View Post
I have just moved so I still have my StuG-references packed in one of them 39 brown cardboard boxes thats all over my new flat for the moment...
Therefore I can't check right now where the StuG IV's were manufactured (or assembled actually), but if my memory serves me it was by Krupp and not MIAG (and hence no square mantlets).
Well that's exactly the same problme as pictures have been found of StuG IVs with the welded square mantlet when they are not supposed to.
See what I mean ?
Wait until someone comes up with a MIAG made Stug arboring a superb Saukopfblende. The guys who made them Sauköpfe could've delivered to both factories just the same.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:29 PM
vBench

Quote:
That's how it came, with the Saukopf on and as I tried to explain,
I am sorry but I mis-understood .
I thought that the combination was from "parts" recovered from the river bed and not a single StuG .
Again thank you for the time you've taken to reply to my stupid questions .
Steve

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM
vBench

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh8Xw...eature=related

A good link to the StuG on youtube while it was running at Tankfest.

Reply With Quote top