Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 10-08-2007, 11:13 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLawler View Post
... intend to do this build OOTB
that's a good one rick

great subject, great kit ... i am anxiously awaiting your build!

cheers
Old 10-08-2007, 12:57 PM
vBench

James, thanks for the tweaks article....I've looked through it and it's already become helpful...I'll try to reflect back on it to illustrate what he was refering to during my build.

Dan, I don't have the Tamiya kit, so I won't be able to compare - perhaps someone else will be able to chime-in duing the thread and make comparisons?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLawler
... intend to do this build OOTB
...that's a good one rick
great subject, great kit ... i am anxiously awaiting your build!

cheers
Oh Laura, I said that I'm not going to buy any AM, that doesn't mean that I can't enhance from the spares box!

Ok boys and girls, lets get going!

...construction begins with the lower hull, running grear, and suspension. The rear idlers get some extra detailing with PE...

...the wheels and return rollers....

...it's been a very long time since I"ve built a DML kit, and I guess that my first impressions are that at least this kit is very nice. The details are crisp, and they have made Multi-part assemblies which should lend itself nicely to the finished appearance....

....one example is the lower hull hatches...

...installed....

...at this point I am simply following the assembly sequence as presented in the directions....the tweaks which James provided suggest leaving these fender supports off until later....

Quote:
Build the basic suspension as depicted in steps 2 and 3 first. Do not install the fender supports at this time (A5, A21, A50, A51). Getting these lined up correctly is tricky so you want to wait until you have the fenders on before gluing these in place.
....the directions are mis-marked.....

.....moving right along, the suspension bars are installed - they slide through the hull side and are anchored to the opposite wall, allowing for some articulation of the suspension..,.

Off and running.....talk to you all soon,

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
So, with a little more research, I finally believe that I've settled upon the reference for this build. This will be truely OOTB as I found a photo* of vehicle #556 for which the kit provides decals for.

Thanks again for all the enthusiasm and help,

rick

* photo from SS Armor - a pictorial history of the armored formations of the waffen-ss, by Robert C. Stern, Squadron/Signal pg.27
Rick, I have the Kharkov book from JJ Fedorowicz, and I believe it has some additional shots of this tank. If so I'll get in touch with you. Maybe I can send them to you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 03:15 PM
vBench

The Pz III hull looks cool in this form.
Hope you are having fun with it and taking it easy. Looking forward to updates.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 04:15 PM
vBench

Quote:
Rick, I have the Kharkov book from JJ Fedorowicz, and I believe it has some additional shots of this tank. If so I'll get in touch with you. Maybe I can send them to you.
That would be great.....feel free to post them directly to the thread if you wish.

thanks,
rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 PM
vBench

Send a message via Yahoo to David Diaz
Nice start Rick.

Dave

SCOUTS OUT!

"To know, that is Wisdom.
To use it, is the Art."

- Clive Barker

http://www.planetarmor.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=173
(Click to visit my v-Bench)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2007, 07:06 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Lookin good Rick OOTB eh?

Laz

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 AM
vBench

Quote:
Dan, I don't have the Tamiya kit, so I won't be able to compare - perhaps someone else will be able to chime-in duing the thread and make comparisons?
i got the tamiya kit - i won't start the build in the near future but whenever you want some parts to be compared gimme a shot and i will take a pic of that particular part .oO(shouldn't be a problem anymore as i gave in and bought a tripod for the digicam lastly!)

Quote:
Oh Laura, I said that I'm not going to buy any AM, that doesn't mean that I can't enhance from the spares box!
... hehehe!

that's the spirit!

the kit has awesome details!

cheers
Old 10-09-2007, 06:39 AM
vBench

Nice start...Rick Keep it up
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2007, 01:05 PM
vBench

Hi folks, thanks for the nice send-off....lets continue.

...from the tweaks list....
Quote:
2. Install the muffler and frame parts as described in step four. There’s also a cover that should be installed at this time. The cover is shown already installed. It is part B (grey) 29. Do not use fast drying cement on the frames such as Tenax 7R on this step. You’ll want to be able to make minor adjustments to the framework when installing it in the next step.
...I found no problems at all wih this part of the assembly....the "part 29" refered to has no location marks, but is the the last item in the step to be installed, so as such, I found that alignment is fairly straight forward. I use Testors Thin, so I also had a window of dry time to make the needed adjustments.

...so here is the rear hull/exhaust assembly....part 29 not yet installed..

... kit PE screens added to underside...

....rear plate attached to hull....text from the tweaks...

Quote:
4. Install the smoke candles as described in step 6. Install the rear plates B15 and B30 and B2 (blue) as depicted in step 6. Be careful not to install grey B28 instead of blue B2. The instructions correctly label B2 as the part to install but depict part B28. Personally I have rivets to shave and reinstall.
...I did not have issues with the smoke candles......a little dry-fitting usually resolves any fit issues or confusion between the blue and grey sprues...

...some nice detail on the fenders....top and bottom

...speaking of fenders, from the tweaks...

Quote:
Do not install the fender supports at this time (A5, A21, A50, A51). Getting these lined up correctly is tricky so you want to wait until you have the fenders on before gluing these in place.
....after reading this I did a dry fit, and sure enough, even though my placement seemed spot-on, they did not align properly with the fenders...so I cut off the small brackets and will add them later after I attach the fenders per the tweaks suggestion...

Quote:
6. Clean up the left fender and install parts A54, A55, and A56 only. They’re a pain in the ar** to install once the fenders are in place so you should do it now. Ignore the rest for later.
...the "paint in the ar**" are the strengthing bars over the fenders...the instructions suggest doing it now....it seems that Mr. Scurlock decided to do all the fender detailing after attaching the fenders to the hull....thus this would have made this step a bit fiddley.

Quote:
Ignore the rest for later
I decided to add the fender details and equipment now, hoping that I can be careful enough not to knock everything off later...

...well, here is where decided to get a little playful with the detailing. Even though the kit has fairly nice molded tool clasps, I wanted something a little more representative. Having NO aftermarket clasps in the spares box I decided to make my own cutting off small pieces from left over PE sprues. I did have a mix of Aber and Eduard handles for some reason. So the fenders will show a combination of kit clasps, handles only, or full rebuilds...It kind of depended upon their visability as to what tool got the work...

...continuing to work on the fenders, I found a mis-labeled part in the directions...

...and some photos of the completed fenders....nice and busy looking!

Well, that's good for now.

Rick

Vbench
Reply With Quote top