Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Community > Your important news and kit reviews.

Your important news and kit reviews. Share & Promote ARMOR and other model news. All Kit reviews are welcome here.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:29 AM
vBench

Tamiya French Armored Carrier UE - review online

terry uploaded a review of the new tamiya item ...

looks like a very interesting subject for early war period builders

Renault Armored Carrier UE
Old 07-04-2007, 10:42 AM
vBench

Thanks for sharing, Laura!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2007, 02:14 PM
vBench

Thanks to Terry for the review

I might just get one for a fun build. The tracks looks a bit basic though but I am sure it won't be long before the AM ones become available.

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2007, 03:29 PM
vBench

Send a message via ICQ to sharkmouth Send a message via AIM to sharkmouth Send a message via MSN to sharkmouth Send a message via Yahoo to sharkmouth Send a message via Skype™ to sharkmouth
I may get two and use my leftover Rockets from AFV Club/Dragon Sd.Kfz. 251 kits...
or maybe the PaK36 from Dragon left over form their Pioneer Sd.Fz. 251 set...
or maybe a Romanian license built copy as found in the book "Third Axis, Fourth Ally" by Mark Axworthy...
or...
I better stop as I may go broke!

Saúl García
Yesterday is History
Tomorrow is a Mystery
Today is a Gift
It is why it is called The Present!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Another Modeler

Send a message via MSN to serpico Send a message via Yahoo to serpico
Nice to see Tamiya put out an interesting vehicle...and four figgies!

I gotta get one!

Some brief history of this unique vehicle: (taken from some vehicle notes I have for a board wargame called ASL--Advanced Squad Leader)

Renault UE: This chenillette ("small tracked vehicle") was origionally designed to carry a mortar, machine gun and/or ammunition across bullet-swept ground. By 1940 however, it was used primarily as a supply vehicle, and for towing the 25mm anti-tank guns in the CDAC of certain non-motorized infantry-type divisions and in the CDAC, CA and CRME of the DIM.

CDAC (Compagnie Divionnaire Antichar): divional 25mm anti-tank company of (motorized) infantry division
CA (Compagnie d'Accompagnement): support company of (motorized) infantry battalion
CRME (Compagnie Regimentaire Motorisee d'Engins): heavy-weapons company of (motorized) infantry regiment

Its official designation was Chenillette de Ravitaillement d'infanterie UE mle 1931 Renault--sometimes abbreviated to CRI 31R. (The improved mle 37R version , aka the UE 2, was introduced in the late 30s.)

One drawback of the design was its inability to transport a weapon and its crew--the latter having to either ride in another vehicle (in motorized units) or walk (in leg-infantry units). A very small number of UE were built with a partially raised superstructure to house a ball-mounted LMG (light machine gun). About 3,300 UE types had been issued to units in France by May 10th, 1940, with another 1,278 in various vehicle parks and depots. A total of some 5,150 of both models had been built by the end of that month.

A leg-infantry regiment was normally authorized nine UE, used mainly for transporting supplies but also available for the emergency movement of heavy weapons. A motorized infantry regiment was authorized eighteen UE, twelve of which were used as prime movers for the regiment's twelve 25mm anti-tank guns.

Thousands of UE were captured by the Germans, who used them not only as supply vehicles and light gun tractors, but also converted some to MG carriers (similar to the French Bow Machine Gun version) or to carry a 37mm anti-tank gun on the superstructure, or to mobile launchers for 280/320mm rockets.

Enjoy! Paul

Last edited by serpico; 07-04-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 06:55 AM
vBench

It looks to be a nice kit...I would like to get one
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 07:31 AM
vBench

Paul

Thanks for the history lesson I am interested in one mounting a 37mm gun.

I have photos of the standard tractor, with rockets and with MG but haven't seen one with the 37mm gun. Anyone got photos of it?

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by lquah View Post
Paul

Thanks for the history lesson I am interested in one mounting a 37mm gun.

I have photos of the standard tractor, with rockets and with MG but haven't seen one with the 37mm gun. Anyone got photos of it?

Lawrence

I'm also interested the mounted 37mm gun version ...however, I don't have any photoes of it
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 AM
vBench

I have one, it is in a book. I'll see what I can do....

Reply With Quote top
Old 07-05-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lquah View Post
I've collected quite a few photos of the UE while working on my (long since stalled) RPM kit. I'll see what I can send along when I get home. If you're serious about getting some references, you may want to look at: http://www.minitracks.fr/focus_ue.htm (though it seems unlikely that it will contain too many photos of UEs in German service). I just pre-ordered a copy the other day and can let people know how it is when it arrives (I would guess in a couple of weeks).

Dave
Reply With Quote top