Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 03-18-2007, 07:45 AM
vBench

Hi all, thanks for the interest in this experiment.

This is only the 2nd time that I've even attempted a whitewash scheme...the first was years ago on a small 75 Pak, done the "traditional" way....cloudy white spray over grey.

So this is a learning experience in front of the world.

Brian and Giacomo, let me back-up here and try to explain the "hairspray" principal. Basically you are undercoating your whitewash by an application of hairspray, a water soluable medium, on the vehicle (over a coat of sealent, in this case Future)....my 2nd photo shows this step.

Then apply your whitewash colors...again in my case waterbased acylics...I don't know if you could use enamals or not...someone else? But in priciapal enamals could work.

You then apply an area of solvent...water or I'm finding rubbing alchohol is working better, over a small area, let it sit for a moment...the solvent actually begins to work on disolving the Hairspray underneath the paint, thus allowing the scrubbing motion to lift or wear-off the whitewash paint exposing the base colors of the vehicle.

At this point its just a matter of working over the vehicle until you've achieved the level of wear you wish.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2007, 11:18 AM
vBench

Hey guys, I was trying to attach this photo to the opening menu page, but I can't seem to get it. What do I do?

Last edited by RickLawler; 03-18-2007 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2007, 11:25 AM
vBench

Rick

You need to attach it to your very first post.

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2007, 01:16 PM
vBench

A way is to use emanel or another non-water based type of paint and then apply a water based-paint; in doing do you don´t have to use varnish.

The way mentioned above (ex humbrol-Tamiya was used by Freddie Collada a long time ago and is now very popular in Panzernet.com; I think it was first dicovered by someone in Latinamerica (Venezuela?)

Hairspray is used a varnish, cheaper and easier to use; just shake it :-)

The KV2 is looking very nice!

As the tanks were quite new when they saw service, if you want to depict the tank with rust and scratches in the way to the turret, it may be interesting to rust also the tracks, as in an abandoned vehicle

Regards,

Antonio
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2007, 11:04 PM
vBench

I was able get a little more work done on the KV-Hairspray.

A overall shot showing the "wear" of the whitewash. I've tried to concentrate the wear in the high traffic areas - around hatches, steps, etc.

As you can see in this photo, some of the original weathering is begining to show back again...as on this rear storage container. One of the benifits of working in layers.

And a few shots of the KV Hairspray from different angles.

I think thats about it for the scrubbing, enough wear-n-tear. I like the random-ness (?) that the scrubbing gives, kinda like real life wear.

One thing I notice, however, is because I sprayed my dirt/mud colors on with the whitewash, that when I disolve the white I also disolve the browns, thus staining my whitewash ( the photos really make it pronounced, it's not so much in real life..still trying to figure out the photo thing ). Some of this affect is nice, but I think that I'll now go back with the brush and re-whiten some areas.

Thanks,

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2007, 07:06 AM
vBench

looks nice!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:49 AM
vBench

Rick

Looks very convincing Have you ever tried using Turner Acryl Gouache? I bought a bunch of them as I saw them being used by Japanese modelers but never got round to trying them. I reckon they would be good for whitewash.

LQ

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2007, 09:17 AM

Thumbs up Next steps

Rick, it looks really good so far. What do you plan to do to weather the white wash? I'm really anxious to see how that will work. Keep up the great experiment!
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 AM
vBench

LQ - no I haven't experimented with Gouache's on kits. I kinda recall, now that you mention it, having heard of folks using that medium with good results. Perhaps worth a try sometime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-66 View Post
Rick, it looks really good so far. What do you plan to do to weather the white wash? I'm really anxious to see how that will work. Keep up the great experiment!
Charlie - 66, as for what's next - I think, as I mentioned I'll "brighten-up" the white with very diluted brushed-on white, over-laying the areas where the white is currently. Something similiar to what I think Mig calls "mapping".

Next? Well, it definately needs some definition, so some type of limited washes or profiling seems to be in order. I think that the key will be to keep it subltle.

Mostly I'm going to be just trying to "tighten" it up. As Bob Ross used to say, there are some "happy accidents", but there are also some details that just need to be fixed.

Rick
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2007, 11:09 AM
vBench

speaking of Bob Ross.....