Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 01-11-2006, 03:03 AM
vBench

Quote:
Anyone know where I can find a "tweaks" sheet?
I could not find any tweaks sheet on this build either. But after this build I could make one, so if you got some months time :lol:

-Ambjoern
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 03:15 AM
vBench

You could use the suspension parts in this kit. They are correct but they lack the level of detail newer kits have. The best solution would be to use the Tristar Panzer IV wheel set. But it does not contain the rear return roller only the upper ones.

I am using the road wheels, suspension and dampers from the Italeri Panzer IV F1/F2 kit. Here is the difference between the Dragon and Italeri suspension:

The dampers which are cast to the chassis are not correct. I cut them away and used the ones from the Italeri kit:

I did a dry fit of the road wheels and they fit just fine:

-Ambjoern
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-11-2006, 10:35 AM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Looks nice amba,

I mean Bob,......errrrrr Ambjoern.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2006, 06:57 PM
vBench

Hello again Guys,

I was on a business trip the last couple of days, so I could not do anything on this project.

During the meetings the usual things was discussed like efficiency, cost savings, return on investment and process streamlining. In the evening I was thinking of the next steps in this project and what is still to be done. I would not say that there are so many things which are not correct with this kit. It's mainly the roadwheels, the drive sprocket and the sprocket housing. The rest is actually just missing details (floor etc.) and poor fitting. So how could I streamline this project and get more efficiency, cost savings.

Well as James pointed out in one of his posts "time is money", and it would take me many hours to detail this kit to the level I want. Here is an example of what I have done until now:

I added the missing details to the sprocket housing:

and I corrected the drive sprocket:

I was not really satisfied with the result and was thinking of buying the modelkasten panzer III/IV track kit with the including drive sprocket. But the lack of detail on the superstructure and the $25 which I would have to spend kept me waiting for a while. In the meanwhile I read the review on the newly tooled "hummel early" kit from DML and I recalled what Ian said about this new kit and the level of detail which had been corrected.

That's it I will change my approach now. The goal will stay the same: I need a late hummel for my Budapest dio. But I went out and bought the above mentioned DML kit:

The new approach will be to use the old DML Hummel Late kit (6004) and convert this new kit (6204) into a late hummel. That will save me many hours and it costs even less than what I would have to spend on the drive sprocket and the PE set to correct the floor.

In the end I may end up using only the driver/radio operator compartment from the old kit

more to come...

-Ambjoern
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2006, 08:16 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Very Efficient!

Good call Amba.

Larry

Opening Laz's World on Ice next summer, no franchises. Just cold ice, and figure skaters, ring side bar service.

Reply With Quote top
Old 01-19-2006, 08:27 PM
Brokeneagle

You won't regret it , the new kit is a far cry from the old.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:19 PM
vBench

Before going any further I just wanted to make sure that the driver/radio operator compartment from the late hummel fits this kit.

So I cut away the old parts:

After a first test fit I realized that I have to carve out about 1 millimete on each side so that it fits:

And then it fits just great:

So I can proceed with the rest now, without having to worry about this part

more to come...

-Ambjoern
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-23-2006, 07:17 PM
vBench

Hi Guys,

Man this place is getting crowded I had a two page result on "View New Posts" last night. Never had that before!

Here is short update on this build before I go to bed. Im working on the road wheels and substructure again now. I finished all the road wheels:

well not all of them are on this photo As you can see I also added a little wear on the rubber on some of the road wheels.

And I finished the idlers:

Did a first test fit of the road wheels:

I am working on the drive sprockets right now.

-Ambjoern
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 03:23 AM
vBench

Commenced work on the drive sprocket tonight. It looks like the hub cover was removed instantly after delivery of the hummel to the troops. I have not found any "in action" photos with a hub cover still installed. So the hub cover should be removed from the drive sprocket. Here is the original with the hub cover:

I removed the hub cover and added the bolts. Here is a shot of the drive sprocket which is almost completed:

The return rollers on the late hummel did not have any rubber rims. So I will use the return rollers from the late kit. The vertical steel bar in the middle is missing and has to be added:

Here is a corrected roller with the steel bar:

more to come...

-Ambjoern
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2006, 03:34 AM
vBench

Looking good!
Reply With Quote top