Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Reference

Reference Share what you have

Old 10-24-2006, 12:30 PM
vBench

tankette Tristar Tauchpanzer PzKpfw IV Ausf D Build Guide

The first batch of Tristar kits have instructions that do not show the decal numbers. All you see is black round call-outs. Seems that the printer screwed up. As a guide, I will be calling out the decal numbers in this post.

I have also included images of the actual vehicles depicted in the Tristar kit markings. Hope this helps.

9./Pz.Rgt.18, Russia 1941
Vehicle number 933

The turret numerals are decal number 1 and divisional emblem decal number 2. The divisional insignia, Y with the stripes is in yellow. Use decal number 3 for these.

Note the square turret rear stowage box and the spare roadwheels on the left fender. The turret numerals, emblem and divisional insignia are on the rear of the turret box.

Source: Collection Akira Takiguchi

The non return valves on the exhaust have been broken off. The cylindrical filter (?) that protrudes from the rear of the left intake grill is also missing.

Pz.Rgt.18, Russia 1941
Vehicle number 632

Number 632 is the second vehicle on the right.

Source: Internet (if anyone knows the actual source, please let me know and I will update)

Note the rod on the rear of the cupola. I don't know what the purpose of this is. There is a balkencruz on the lower rear plate.

Turret numerals are decal number 4 and emblems decal number 5. The instructions show the use of decal number 7 which is an inverted Y. Do not use this.

Source: Internet (if anyone knows the actual source, please let me know and I will update)

Close-up of the divisional emblem. The unit marking (Y with three stripes) is in white. Use decal number 6.

The balkencruz in the decals are wrong. They should have a black centre and black outline.

3./Pz.Rgt.18, Germany 1940
Vehicle number 342

The decal number for rear turret numerals is 17.

Source: PzKpfw IV Ausf A-F at War, Waldemar Trojca and Karlheinz Munch

Decal number for the turret number is 14, balkencruz is 19 and the shark emblem is 15.

The balkencruz is divided on the hull and on the wooden beam. Use decals number 18. Also the shark emblem, decal number 16, is located behind the jack. The turret decal number is 14.

Vehicle number 231

Turret side numerals are decal number 12. Rear numeral is decal number 13. White "G" on front right fender is decal number 11. Balkencruz are decals number 10.

Of interest is the balkencruz on the unditching wooden beam and the two stowage boxes on the front right fender

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 02:25 PM
vBench

Good stuff Lawrence, thanks for posting this. I just opened my Tauchpanzer kit and I have the black spots as well.

Just picking up on one thing on vehicle '632', you said "Close-up of the divisional emblem. The unit marking (Y with three stripes) is in white". Isn't it the other way around? I've not seen that Angler fish emblem elsewhere though, you??

I've not got it but those images of '632' might come from Werner Pauls 'Geschichte 18.Panzer Division'....... I think....maybe

Cheers _ Andrew

Last edited by Andrew Hall; 10-24-2006 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 08:56 PM
vBench

Thanks Lawrence...Thanks for sharing those pictures...they are great. I'm back yesterday night...I would like to start the New Tristar standard Pz IV soon...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2006, 09:47 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Nice pics Lawrence!

Laz
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2006, 07:20 AM
vBench

Great Info. I will be watching this thread. Thanks.

Roy
Old 10-25-2006, 07:42 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hall View Post
Good stuff Lawrence, thanks for posting this. I just opened my Tauchpanzer kit and I have the black spots as well.

Just picking up on one thing on vehicle '632', you said "Close-up of the divisional emblem. The unit marking (Y with three stripes) is in white". Isn't it the other way around? I've not seen that Angler fish emblem elsewhere though, you??

I've not got it but those images of '632' might come from Werner Pauls 'Geschichte 18.Panzer Division'....... I think....maybe

Cheers _ Andrew

Andrew

Sorry, I meant that divisional insignia i.e. Y with 3 stripes is white in color and not yellow. I based this assuming the background of the angler fish emblem to be yellow. If the background is yellow, then the "Y" should be white - compared against the white of the numerals.

Bison has a set of decals for the PzKpfw IV ausf D and includes markings for number 933 and 632.

For number 933, Bison calls for the divisional insignia to be on the front driver's plate. I can not confirm this as I have not seen a photo of the front of 933.

For number 632, Bison indicates that the divisional insignia is yellow. As mentioned above, I don't think it is yellow.

The Bison decals has better details on the angler fish and skull over water emblems.

Bison Decals

Tristar Decals
You can see that the eyes and nose of the skull is missing and the shape of the white border is too angular.

Bison decals also provide the correct balkencruz for vehicle number 632. Two with black borders for the hull sides and one without border for the rear hull plate.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 PM
vBench

Good stuff again Lawrence

Just out of interest did you see in one pic of '632' the numerals have a black outline but they seem to be gone in the other shot? Strange.

Andrew
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2006, 07:24 PM
vBench

Andrew

I did notice the black outline. I think the photo was enhanced with the outline for added clarity.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2007, 03:21 PM
vBench

Very informative, it will be of great help when I start my project.

I noticed the black spots on my instruction sheet too, if it is really only on the first batch of kits then it really add's a certain ''value'' to the model, at least for me.

Siim

Reply With Quote top
Old 02-06-2007, 09:01 PM
vBench

Siim

Have you decided on which vehicle to build? Let me know as I can help on the markings and the standard stowage of the different units.

Lawrence

Reply With Quote top