Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Photos: In-progress Blogs

Photos: In-progress Blogs Post your in-progress photos in a blog-style topic!
Request vBench Photo Upload Access

Old 06-22-2009, 07:58 PM
vBench

Rick,

I applied a second coat of lacquer based flat coat and it seemed to hold it in a lot of areas. I think it is how much it saturated through the pigment and created a bond with the material underneath.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-22-2009, 08:39 PM
vBench

Thumbs up Watching and learning

Hey PSYOPTAnker
That is some feat, ...
I will some day have to tackle the menacing PE,

and to tell you the truth I have never worked with pigments

and keep your eyes out for those small parts ...
they just walk away when your not watching

yeah ... tell me about it
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-27-2009, 09:46 PM
vBench

OK, I am back from vacation, and my Tiger I-building batteries are fully recharged! Updates tomorrow, as I expect to mount the track to the hull!

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 AM
vBench

I went to work on the tracks tonight, and removed the excess pigments.

I test fitted them a couple of times after putting them on backwards once. In doing so, I broke off the drive sprocket, and have to wait for the glue to set before final track assembly.

Here is what the cross decal looks like after setting and one coat of Micro Sol. I put some tiny holes in it and reapplied the Micro Sol, so we will see what it looks like tomorrow. Also, I applied a coat of Future under the decal, since I forgot to do it on the turret and had to apply many coats of Micro Sol to get the decals to set right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-29-2009, 12:55 AM
vBench

Here are the first shots of the base. I was trying out the grass, and have much more to put on. I made the base of plaster and used a number of different shades of brown and tan to achieve a non-uniform look. The gravelly stuff is railroad ballast that I applied after a coat of 3M spray adhesive.

It is actually much darker than the first picture and looks more like these...

I plan to do more dry-brushing of the larger rocks and then giving them a coat of dirty pigment.

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-10-2009, 07:53 PM
vBench

I spent this week finishing the weathering on the tracks and getting them mounted. This was slowed when I snapped one of the drive sprockets off and had to reset and allow to dry for a day. The tracks are not as even as I would like, but look good for now. I may go back and tinker later. I would also recommend not mounting the side fenders until late in the project, as I have detached and attached all of them about three times. If I did this again, I would put them on with Blu-Tac, spray the camo, and take them off until the end.

Also, while putting the tracks on, I knocked off a bunch of the PE tool clasps I was so proud of. I will be replacing them with the molded version.

On the up side, the decals on the side really sat down nicely after three or four coats of Micro-Sol! I have begun weathering the turret and will try to get some pictures tonight. Thanks again for all of the encouragement on this project!

Michael
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 AM

Labour Of Love!

Hi Michael! This really has been a great road march, sorry I got on board so late into the build! I have just spent 30 minutes reading through your very detailed build log, very enjoyable and informative I must say
You really have had some first class crew mates with you on this build, I think the way that you will tackle anything that comes along with such enthusiasm is a lesson to us all. And in the end you will have a might fine Tiger to be extremely proud of.

Thanks for sharing... Cheers, Phil.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 02:02 PM

Hi Michael,
Great build log, where do you find the time? I really like how your tracks and running gear came out. That's going to be one fine-looking Tiger when it's all done. I'm still working on my Cromwell tracks, 30 links put together, only 216 more to go ....

Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
vBench

Stunningly good job on the tracks, really they do look great and you have done a top notch job on them to go with the rest of your Tiger.
I think I'll save your work to the hard drive for later help on one of my projects .

Mark, thats a lot of links and I thought the Tiger's 190+ were a chore .

Life's so very funny, you just need to remember to laugh [note to the clowns].

Why would the clowns not let people into the tent? What's the point of the show if they don't? .
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2009, 09:25 PM
vBench

Guys,

Thanks for all of the positive feedback! I am drawing towards the finish line on this one as far as the actual model goes. I am going to drive forward on the base, and have yet to start the figures. I have done no armor figures in the past. I have done some guys for those things with the wings on them, but they get pretty hidden once you put the canopy down. I will really need a lot of help on the painting from you, so any suggestions are welcome!

Mark, you have to be going out of your mind with all of those track links!

Michael
Reply With Quote top