Go Back   planetArmor > planetArmor Features > Gamers Corner

Gamers Corner Talk about PC, Console Gaming. Miniature Vehicle and Figure Gaming.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:05 AM
vBench

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyrichard View Post
Hey Lawrence, what is Panzer Front Ausf B like? I saw it in the stores, but I were'nt too sure of it! All I like to see in a game are excellent graphics, and great playability!
hi

i played a bit of panzer front ausf b too... its pretty awesome, i havent finished the game because of two reasons, its insanely difficult to win (just like in a real battlefield) and i am saving it so i can play it and really savour it after i finish building my models...

in the game, you normally play the side that has the least in advantages, for instance in the training mission (afrika 1942) you play the commander of a troop of 4 panzer IIIGs and 1 recce Pz2. you deal with: some british cruiser tanks (A9s I believe) and the matilda. the A9s are easy, the matildas are something else. You have limited ammo, damage physics are fairly realistic your crew can get injured, hence reducing speed of ammo loading for instance.

Its first and foremost a console game, meaning its pick up and play, so it doesnt have features of "real" tank sims. But it does have a steep learning curve and you need to have a streak of sado masochist in you to play it.

the graphics are alright, i would say pretty poor for PS2 standards, but you forget all that once you are hunkering down, all hatches buttoned down, trying to survive... in between your tank getting hit by enemy shells and trying to get off shots in between. its pretty adrenaline pumping.

you get to command a troop of five tanks including your own in the missions. Panzer Front Ausf B has most missions in Afrika. There's one solitary mission in France when you are in the puny PzII supporting a drive to take Merdorp.

All missions are historically based and it really drives home how quick one can die on the battlefield and the sheer guts of people fighting in WW2.

I do recommend it especially if tanks are your love , even tho the graphics are not that good, all the others aspects you can really fall in love with.

You may want to try and dig up the older PSone version, PAnzer Front and Panzer Front Bis.... the graphics are not that much crappier but the missions, oh the missions!!!! you get to play as Wittman in Villers Bocage...!!!!!!!

HTH...

ollie
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 03:50 AM
vBench

Ollie
Nice review.

This is a tough game but fun. I played the first mission and like what Ollie said, took out the cruisers fairly easily. But those Matildas are tough. You have to flank them to have any chance of taking them out.

I played the earlier ones on PS one and I remember one mission where I was in a Panther at Kursk and getting swamped by the fast moving T-34s. That was fun!

I wish we had more tank games.

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 09:43 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

From what you say, it sounds a pretty hectic game, havin' to think and take care of a lot of things at any given time! Is it played from a first person perspective?

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 10:18 AM
vBench

Sounds promising for a tank sim on a console. I cut my teeth on Panzer Elite for the PC and have never been able to find a game near as satisfying as that. I might have to give this one a go.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 10:30 AM
vBench

Panzer Elite was a great game i loved playing it . Its a shame none of the Game Companys have tried to make another decent tank Sim

An oldie but not so much a goody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf4xwsZEpus
Morris Minor and the Majors `Stutter Rap `
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 01:44 PM
vBench

Quote:
From what you say, it sounds a pretty hectic game, havin' to think and take care of a lot of things at any given time! Is it played from a first person perspective?
Yes, you are the tank commander, gunner and driver. And you can only fire when stationary. No fire on the move technology back in those days

Lawrence

Adrian Cronauer [imitating Walter Cronkite]: I just want to begin by saying to Roosevelt E. Roosevelt, what it is, what it shall be, what it was. The weather out there today is hot and shitty with continued hot and shitty in the afternoon. Tomorrow a chance of continued crappy with a pissy weather front coming down from the north. Basically, it's hotter than a snake's ass in a wagon rut.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-06-2006, 01:53 PM
vBench

Any real war game has been Il-2 sim few years back. No time for games ever since nor interest either...

Niko
Old 09-06-2006, 06:53 PM
vBench

Quote:
the perspective depends on the difficulty level, on easy you have a 'behind the tank' view. On the harder difficulty, you get the 'behind tank view' only if you (the tank commander) is standing out of the cupola, once buttoned down - you can only see through your periscopes (just like the real thing)...

Standing out of your cupola makes you a big fat target too, shrapnel can kill you! If not shrapnel then enemy troops will take pot shots at you.

yes lawrence is right, firing on the move is just wasting precious ammo... its impossible to get a shot accurately.

Give Panzer Front a shot, you may be able to pick one up second hand cheap, most casual gamers would try it once and go home crying to mummy and asking why she didnt buy him Burnout Ep 531 instead....
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2006, 07:31 AM
4 8 15 16 23 42

Tell me about it! Burnout games are jus' trash!

I'm gonna' give this Panzer game a go! It sounds, the nuts! Then i'll come on here and tell ya' how easy I found it to be!

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-07-2006, 08:51 PM
vBench

Location: I know a guy who sells t-shirts at a nearby location to Willy's grave.
Send a message via Skype™ to Larry Bates
Hey guys,

I also play Mohaa, and CoD2. We should get a lan game going, yes?

Larry
Reply With Quote top